Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the construction of the Baltimore REd Line or the DC Purple Line
Red Line 13 32.50%
Purple Line 5 12.50%
Both 17 42.50%
Neither 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:57 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
I am saying that I am against paying for the two lines being posted on this forum thread. I am also saying that *if* a line had to be built, rather than the two being discussed I'd prefer one to Waldorf.

How about you learn some actual English comprehension? Or maybe trolling is your forte. If the latter is the case, bravo.
OK, it's fully understood now. You would prefer a line of little utility that has no hope of being built due to cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 12:59 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
You would prefer a line of little utility that has no hope of being built due to cost.
You got it, dude. Especially the 'no hope of being built' part.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:09 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
OK, it's fully understood now. You would prefer a line of little utility that has no hope of being built due to cost.
This is the same guy who was trying to argue that central Ohio was more diverse than Montgomery County. I would take his comments with the grain of salt...even with the 6 college degrees.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 PM

Heh. I was saying the Columbus area is more diverse than Montgomery County. I still hold to it, especially since your own diversity map backed up my statement with the big heavy red mark representing that area. Just because there is more diversity over a wider area with MoCo according to that map, it does not necessarily mean that MoCo is more diverse. The map itself is suspect as it doesn't distinguish true diversity; just because a community is half white and half black doesn't make it diverse.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Heh. I was saying the Columbus area is more diverse than Montgomery County. I still hold to it, especially since your own diversity map backed up my statement with the big heavy red mark representing that area. Just because there is more diversity over a wider area with MoCo according to that map, it does not necessarily mean that MoCo is more diverse. The map itself is suspect as it doesn't distinguish true diversity; just because a community is half white and half black doesn't make it diverse.
Here are the raw numbers

Columbus, Ohio

White: 61.5% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 59.3%)
Black or African American: 28.0%
Native American: 0.3%
Asian: 4.1% (1.3% Indian, 0.8% Chinese, 0.3% Korean, 0.2% Vietnamese, 0.2% Japanese, 0.2% Filipino, 0.2% Cambodian, 0.2% Laotian)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.1%
Two or more races: 3.3%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 5.6%[63] (3.3% Mexican, 0.6% Puerto Rican, 0.2% Salvadoran, 0.2% Dominican)

Columbus, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

116,000 of the city's residents are foreign-born out of total population of about 800,000 or roughly 14%

Montgomery County, MD:

57.5% White
17.2% Black
17.0% Hispanic or Latino (5.4% Salvadoran, 1.5% Mexican, 1.2% Peruvian, 1.1% Guatemalan)
13.9% Asian
0.4% Native American
0.1% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
4.0% Two or more races
6.9% Other races

Montgomery County, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

31% of Montgomery County's population is foreign born.

http://www.inforum.umd.edu/mdimmigra...inalreport.pdf

So, Columbus is a mighty diverse place, but still not as diverse as Montgomery County, MD. In fact if you compare the white + black population, which you claim skew the results, for both Columbus and Montgomery you get:

Columbus white + black population = 89.5%

Montgomery County white + black population = 74.7%

Columbus is still less diverse. (Please also note all I did for this number is add white + black, I didn't even separate out white Hispanics. If I had, the disparity showing the greater diversity of Montgomery County using this measure (your idea) would be even greater.) If you expand the numbers to all of Franklin County, OH, you see less diversity.

So anyway you cut it, anyway you look at it, any objective numbers you examine, show Montgomery County being more diverse than Columbus. If you disagree, show me some numbers to back up your assertions.

Last edited by westsideboy; 09-03-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM

If we go strictly by those stats, then yes you are right Columbus is less diverse - albeit barely - than Montgomery County. But it is a far cry from what was being said by you guys on the other thread, stating that Columbus was 'white bread' and all that crap.

And by the way, I am shocked to see that the stats say that MoCo has such a high percentage of Asians. I have barely seen any Asians in MoCo (or DC for that matter) except in areas outside of known small Asian community areas. DC for example has Chinatown, but it's basically just a white tourist town with a whole bunch of Chinese characters written for the names of the stores there.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
If we go strictly by those stats, then yes you are right Columbus is less diverse - albeit barely - than Montgomery County. But it is a far cry from what was being said by you guys on the other thread, stating that Columbus was 'white bread' and all that crap.

And by the way, I am shocked to see that the stats say that MoCo has such a high percentage of Asians. I have barely seen any Asians in MoCo (or DC for that matter) except in areas outside of known small Asian community areas. DC for example has Chinatown, but it's basically just a white tourist town with a whole bunch of Chinese characters written for the names of the stores there.
That is all I am saying. If you have issues with other posters calling calling Columbus "white bread" take it up with them. It wasn't me that said it, I all did was post the facts to show the comparative diversity of the two communities being discussed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...-county-7.html

Old 09-03-2012, 08:02 PM

I'm not taking anything up with them -- you're the one that's purposefully calling me out here, which is why I replied in kind.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,823 times
Quote:
For the record I'm for regional funding of transit projects. I would support a regional transit district for the Baltimore and DC Metro areas as opposed to statewide taxation.
This

Old 09-03-2012, 08:30 PM

575 posts, read 554,489 times
How'd we get from the Purple & Red Lines to race statistics of Columbus, Ohio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland