Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the construction of the Baltimore REd Line or the DC Purple Line
Red Line 13 32.50%
Purple Line 5 12.50%
Both 17 42.50%
Neither 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 05:37 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
Are you insane? The original interstate plans for Baltimore City would have went straight through what is today the Inner Harbor, Harbor East, Fells Point, & Federal Hill...or in other words, some of the city's most vibrant neighborhoods. That would have been great...NOT!
That is exactly what Tom Lennox wants. He'd be happy if downtown shifted to Dundalk (so long as he can pick and choose who's coming).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Are you insane? The original interstate plans for Baltimore City would have went straight through what is today the Inner Harbor, Harbor East, Fells Point, & Federal Hill...or in other words, some of the city's most vibrant neighborhoods. That would have been great...NOT!

And MDallstar was on point when he said that the Baltimore and Washington regions subsidize Western MD and the Eastern Shore. Not the other way around buddy. Ocean City would still be a bunch of sand dunes if the 95 corridor taxpayers didn't fund the bay bridge.
This.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:

And MDallstar was on point when he said that the Baltimore and Washington regions subsidize Western MD and the Eastern Shore. Not the other way around buddy. Ocean City would still be a bunch of sand dunes if the 95 corridor taxpayers didn't fund the bay bridge.
How about we give you your money back to built the Maeve, Turquois, and Crimson metro lines, and you stop dictating our land use, and creating regulations and taxes that drive businesses and home construction right over the river to WV, or over the M-D into PA?

We would be better off with regulations and tax policies that allow us to compete with our neighboring counties then we are with the "welfare" checks we receive from Annapolis.

Sound fair?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Sound fair?
Yes.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Yes.
Great, I would start writing up the cessession documentation, but I researched it years ago, and it seems counties are not sovereign entities. They are merely juristictional conveniences set up by the states. So, Maryland would have to disown us, or trade us.

Here is what I propose

MD gives Allegany and Garrett Counties to WV
WV gives Berkeley and Jefferson Counties to VA
VA gives their finger of the Eastern Shore to MD

Western Maryland is more like WV anyway. Those two Shenandoah Counties in WV are by all rights part of VA, only Union occupation compelled them to join WV. The weird exclave of VA that many cheap maps already color as part of Maryland join the Eastern Shore. If the terms don't work out as written, you can always also thrown in a few future draft picks, or some "cash consideration"

Old 08-21-2012, 11:18 AM

Neat idea!

Quote:
However this would add another two more "money hole" counties to MD.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
Quote:
Great, I would start writing up the cessession documentation, but I researched it years ago, and it seems counties are not sovereign entities. They are merely juristictional conveniences set up by the states. So, Maryland would have to disown us, or trade us.

Here is what I propose

MD gives Allegany and Garrett Counties to WV
WV gives Berkeley and Jefferson Counties to VA

Western Maryland is more like WV anyway. Those two Shenandoah Counties in WV are by all rights part of VA, only Union occupation compelled them to join WV. The weird exclave of VA that many cheap maps already color as part of Maryland join the Eastern Shore. If the terms don't work out as written, you can always also thrown in a few future draft picks, or some "cash consideration"

hehehe---i know a few history buffs in oakland, md who would fight tooth and nail if their county was to be given to west virginia. by the way, isn't maryland unique because it has all of these different geographical forms and landscapes in one small space? a better baltimore makes a better maryland which in turn makes a better western maryland.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Neat idea!

However this would add another two more "money hole" counties to MD.
Trade two away, get two back. But, VA won't control access on both sides of the Bay anymore. Might be important if "the South rises again" like Charlie Daniels promised us

And all three state maps would look so much nicer.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Trade two away, get two back. But, VA won't control access on both sides of the Bay anymore. Might be important if "the South rises again" like Charlie Daniels promised us

And all three state maps would look so much nicer.
I dunno. I'd rather all of Garrett and Alleghany were just turned into state parks for me to enjoy the 3 weekends a year I have time to get out there and enjoy all that nature, free of any sort of industry or other unpleasantries. Hopefully there will be a Starbucks by the next time I come otherwise I'll just die!

(j/k)

Old 08-21-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
hehehe---i know a few history buffs in oakland, md who would fight tooth and nail if their county was to be given to west virginia. by the way, isn't maryland unique because it has all of these different geographical forms and landscapes in one small space? a better baltimore makes a better maryland which in turn makes a better western maryland.
Not really. Smart Growth is the wave of the future downstate, it is a death penalty for us up here.

I guess no one considered that curbing suburban growth isn't a problem in a place that has none to begin with. We are 60 years behind the building curve. We have no sparse surburban areas to in-fill. We have:

Isolated century old towns

Forest

Our closest urban area is 65 miles from Hagerstown. Restricting our growth to Cumberland and west effectively cuts off any chance we have of being able to tap into the riches you guys take for granted. We are different places, with different needs. If Annapolis realized this and didn't ram downstate values and practices down our throat, and allowed us to choose a path that actually helped our community, I would have no complaints. Sadly, they don't.

Not a knock on our PA or WV neighbors, but it is a pretty sad state of affairs when businesses and residents choose to open up shop or live there rather than in "the Queen City of the Alleghenies." Time was our neighbors were part of our sphere of influence. Anymore, Allegany County is the empty donut hole in already poor region. Regulated by those that don't know or understand our community. Annapolis tries to substitute understanding by throwing money at our problems. It hasn't worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland