Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I see what you're saying (I guess); Bethesda is probably home to more people with national power. But certainly not in state power. Still, I would call that an indicator of Bethesda being the "main city" of the state.
Maybe that's what I'm saying, it has more power located within its boundaries than Baltimore has in my opinion. I mean no one can really say Bethesda is just a suburb of DC, it may be true, but it does hold a lot of power within its boundaries just as you can't say Arlington is just a suburb of DC when it has the Pentagon. Of course Baltimore is much more urban than Bethesda in each and every way and if anyone drove through Bethesda with no prior knowledge of the city they would assume its just a average joe type of city, but behind the facades of the buildings are national decisions being made, contracts being cut, and whatever else is powerful. More of the state's wealth is located in Bethesda/Potomac (I'm talking all the billionaires in the state of Maryland) so though it may be a suburb/edge city in some ways of DC, it does pack a punch.

But I'm not degrading Baltimore in anyway, I'm just suggesting Bethesda may have power within its boundaries than Baltimore; it may or may not be true.

And to the person who says Columbia is the second largest in the state, what is that supposed to imply? Columbia is the second most powerful or urban city, in the state? That's laughable, Columbia is no more powerful than Gaithersburg. We should all be able to agree that Baltimore, Bethesda, and Annapolis are the top three most powerful cities in the state, all three need each other to function.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,509,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Maybe that's what I'm saying, it has more power located within its boundaries than Baltimore has in my opinion. I mean no one can really say Bethesda is just a suburb of DC, it may be true, but it does hold a lot of power within its boundaries just as you can't say Arlington is just a suburb of DC when it has the Pentagon. Of course Baltimore is much more urban than Bethesda in each and every way and if anyone drove through Bethesda with no prior knowledge of the city they would assume its just a average joe type of city, but behind the facades of the buildings are national decisions being made, contracts being cut, and whatever else is powerful. More of the state's wealth is located in Bethesda/Potomac (I'm talking all the billionaires in the state of Maryland) so though it may be a suburb/edge city in some ways of DC, it does pack a punch.

But I'm not degrading Baltimore in anyway, I'm just suggesting Bethesda may have power within its boundaries than Baltimore; it may or may not be true.

And to the person who says Columbia is the second largest in the state, what is that supposed to imply? Columbia is the second most powerful or urban city, in the state? That's laughable, Columbia is no more powerful than Gaithersburg. We should all be able to agree that Baltimore, Bethesda, and Annapolis are the top three most powerful cities in the state, all three need each other to function.
What I meant to say was that its being home to DC commuters of influence does not make it more significant than Baltimore, overall. A handful of influential people do not, in my opinion, make a small suburb more influential than a metro area of over 1 million. Not even close.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:22 AM

130 posts, read 362,341 times
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Baltimore versus the whole Montgomery county is a better comparison.... the largest city in the state vs the largest and richest county.

Politically, it's also the closest match: the basic local community in MD is the county. Baltimore city is an independant city, and has been granted county equivlenecy- so a county to county comparison, or a county to Baltimore-city comparison is valid.

Bethesda is an unincorproated area within MoCo.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:25 AM

130 posts, read 362,341 times
Default .

. I mean no one can really say Bethesda is just a suburb of DC, it may be true, but it does hold a lot of power within its boundaries just as you can't say Arlington is just a suburb of DC when it has the Pentagon.

Actually, yes, you can....and that's exactly what I would say. They're suburrbs of DC, and they are suburbs that happen to hold offices of Federal Departments located within their borders. Those Federal Departments....still report to DC at the end of the day.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:37 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Bethesda (I consider Bethesda to be from Chevy Chase to North Bethesda)
Well, you ca't really include those areas, as they aren't Bethesda. It's similar to saying, "I think South Dakota is the best state in the US, and I consider South Dakota to also include North Dakota and Minnesota."

If you are going to make such an argument, you can't expand the boundaries outside of what Bethesda really is. Chevy Chase is Chevy Chase, and North Bethesda is North Bethesda.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Location: Somewhere in the South where the locals don't think it is the South
34 posts, read 67,709 times
I may even make the argument that Silver Spring has more "influence" than Bethesda, so is Bethesda even the most influential area in its own county?

Wiz

Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM

146 posts, read 374,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizdom View Post
I may even make the argument that Silver Spring has more "influence" than Bethesda, so is Bethesda even the most influential area in its own county?

Wiz
How is silver spring more influential then Bethesda?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 PM

Location: Somewhere in the South where the locals don't think it is the South
34 posts, read 67,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomat74 View Post
How is silver spring more influential then Bethesda?
How is it not? Number of companies (federal and private) located within. Not as rich overall, but certainly nothing to sneeze at. Size, population, infrastructure. Just saying I believe and argument can be made for it.

Wiz

Old 10-02-2012, 01:55 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
So what do you say? Of course Baltimore has the history but in the present day Bethesda is holding the crown in my eyes.
I would prefer to live in Bethesda, because it's next to DC and is one of the most affluent suburbs in Maryland. However, Baltimore is way more distinctive and unique than Bethesda and is definitely the main city of Maryland. Even Annapolis is more distinctive than Bethesda.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
The thing is, Bethesda isn't legally a "city" or "town" in the eyes of the State of Maryland. It's a Census Tract. It may be a Major Town Center (I don't know the details of Montgomery County zoning designations).

Municipal League, MD - Official Website - Member Cities & Towns

Last edited by North Beach Person; 10-02-2012 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: cleaned up meaning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland