Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I can't seem to find a flight that goes from LAX-Bethesda, but I can find one that goes to Baltimore. I think that answers the original question.
Random, but the other day in my transportation class I learned that the government subsidizes several air routes that serve small towns. One of these is a flight from freakin' Hagerstown to Baltimore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_Air_Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
I grew up and stil work in Bethesda. I'm voting Baltimore and it's not even close. Baltimore is a city, Bethesda is a burb.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM

575 posts, read 554,833 times
Is this a trick question?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:36 AM

1,261 posts, read 695,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Bethesda isn't a city and neither is Columbia. The second largest city in Maryland is Frederick, and it is an order of magnitude smaller than Baltimore so there is no competition as to what the main city in Maryland is
According to his website, they're calling them cities

and this--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Largest_cities_of_Maryland

and this....http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...es_in_Maryland

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2020 at 02:26 AM..

Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
According to his website, they're calling them cities

and this--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Largest_cities_of_Maryland

and this....What are the five largest cities in Maryland
No city limits. No mayors. Not cities in the way Maryland defines them. We don't have very many incorporated areas. Many large population centers in Maryland are like Bethesda, non-incorporated geographic concepts deliniated by opinion, postal zip codes, or not really defined at all. This is another reason why it is better to think county level when considering which communities are most powerful in the state.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2020 at 02:26 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 AM

10,113 posts, read 9,984,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
No city limits. No mayors. Not cities in the way Maryland defines them. We don't have very many incorporated areas. Many large population centers in Maryland are like Bethesda, non-incorporated geographic concepts deliniated by opinion, postal zip codes, or not really defined at all. This is another reason why it is better to think county level when considering which communities are most powerful in the state.
Baltimore and Howard counties are the only ones with no incorporated municipalities.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore and Howard counties are the only ones with no incorporated municipalities.
Yup, over 1,000,000 people living in a mostly dense urban/surburban area without a single incorporated area.

Here are all of Maryland's incorporated municipalities.

Maryland Towns & Cities - Municipalities (by name)

Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yup, over 1,000,000 people living in a mostly dense urban/surburban area without a single incorporated area.
I have always thought that was bizarre. It seems to work for them though.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 PM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I have always thought that was bizarre. It seems to work for them though.
Remember Maryland is a Southern (no one start) state and was organized along County lines with small incorporated towns (if any, most "towns" in MD aren't incorporated) and developed a plantation style of government with each level deferring to the one above it.

Counties in MD absolutely hate municipalities. They dilute the power of the County government and, more importantly, take tax revenue away from the Counties through the Tax Differential. As a result it's incredibly difficult to incorporate a municipality in the State. Even annexation (something else Counties hate) was made more difficult a few years ago.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:11 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Remember Maryland is a Southern (no one start) state and was organized along County lines with small incorporated towns (if any, most "towns" in MD aren't incorporated) and developed a plantation style of government with each level deferring to the one above it.
What does Southern have to do with it? I live in NC and we have incorporated towns all over the place. It seems like if you get 2 houses next to one another, you have a town. The smallest incorporated town we have here only has a few hundred people in it. They have taxes and have 1 police officer. There are no tax differentials here. You pay full county rate regardless of where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland