Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 04:36 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,273,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopremeBeing View Post
Good evening everyone. I will be contacting the DMV tomorrow, but I wanted to come here and get some information beforehand.

My fiance and I bought a used truck recently, and I am completely and utterly confused about the DMV Title and Reg process. Tried to research the website, but to of no avail. I am not sure what documents I need to bring and how much it is going to cost to register this truck. All I am trying to do is register the truck so we can get the registration and the plates. Here's some background:

-Truck is being financed, won't be officially OURS until it is paid off
-We are both licensed in MD, but my fiance cannot register a vehicle in his name(something about his car being stolen and towed years ago, and him never picking up his tags or something like that)
-The truck is over 3700 lbs
-We have the MD Certificate of Title, but the back is not filled out. We also have the Bill of Sale(Dealer processing charges were 200.00), and The Odometer Statement. We don't have the inspection paperwork, but we will do that this weekend(on the title the car was inspected in July 2012, but the site says the inspection is only valid for 90 days) Car is fully covered by insurance as required.

So my questions are:
1)Does the back of the Title certificate need to be completed even though we are making payments on the truck? (website says the fee is $100, but we do not officially own the car)
2)Will the DMV register the truck even though my fiance cannot register any vehicles at this time?(site says plate fees are $180)
3)I have not heard anything from the DMV, my insurance company, or the dealer about my insurance coverage. Is it safe to assume my current coverage is acceptable to MD?
4)And how much is all of this going to cost?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I am new to MD and I am just confused. I don't remember all of this paperwork when I had a car in California...
I am going to assume the worst and take it that the vehicle is not registered with the MVA.

If so, then here is the answer to question 4:

-Vehicle inspection: $40 - $90+ depending on location (the inspection fee can legally be equal to the amount of their hourly rate, which is around $90/hr. at most shops).

-If vehicle does not pass, you have 30 days to make repairs. The re-inspection fee is between $15 - $25. If it takes longer than 30 days to repair the vehicle, or if you have driven over 1000 miles between the initial inspection date and the re-inspection date, you will be charged full inspection price. Do not assume that just because it passed back in July it will pass again this weekend. I once failed an inspection because of a wiper blade. Yup, a single blade.

-After the inspection: Go to the MVA, and expect to stand around for a few hours, even if business is slow.
Since you paid the dealer $200 and received a new title, not sure what else you already paid for. But, to register your vehicle with the MVA, it will cost you $180 assuming no other fees are required.

-By now, or soon, you will receive a letter in the mail regarding emissions testing. Be sure to get your emissions inspected by the date listed. The cost is $14, a $15 fine will be tacked on if you do it after this date. If you fail the emissions test you will be given 6 months to fix what ever needs to be addressed in order to pass emissions. They do not charge for a re-inspection.

As for your fiance, strange situation. Whether he reported the car stolen or not is not the issue. More than likely, the vehicle was towed to a State lot where it was held until it was sold at auction. But, your fiance should know this as he would have received a bill for the towing charge and storage fees.

As for your fiance being able to register the truck....probably not, which may add more $$$ onto the registration depending on when the tags expire. You can, of course, put your name on the title, which of course will cost money, too. You might be able to register the truck in his name for him, but not sure if you can do that in Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: