Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM

110 posts, read 202,910 times

Advertisements

Good evening everyone. I will be contacting the DMV tomorrow, but I wanted to come here and get some information beforehand.

My fiance and I bought a used truck recently, and I am completely and utterly confused about the DMV Title and Reg process. Tried to research the website, but to of no avail. I am not sure what documents I need to bring and how much it is going to cost to register this truck. All I am trying to do is register the truck so we can get the registration and the plates. Here's some background:

-Truck is being financed, won't be officially OURS until it is paid off
-We are both licensed in MD, but my fiance cannot register a vehicle in his name(something about his car being stolen and towed years ago, and him never picking up his tags or something like that)
-The truck is over 3700 lbs
-We have the MD Certificate of Title, but the back is not filled out. We also have the Bill of Sale(Dealer processing charges were 200.00), and The Odometer Statement. We don't have the inspection paperwork, but we will do that this weekend(on the title the car was inspected in July 2012, but the site says the inspection is only valid for 90 days) Car is fully covered by insurance as required.

So my questions are:
1)Does the back of the Title certificate need to be completed even though we are making payments on the truck? (website says the fee is $100, but we do not officially own the car)
2)Will the DMV register the truck even though my fiance cannot register any vehicles at this time?(site says plate fees are $180)
3)I have not heard anything from the DMV, my insurance company, or the dealer about my insurance coverage. Is it safe to assume my current coverage is acceptable to MD?
4)And how much is all of this going to cost?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I am new to MD and I am just confused. I don't remember all of this paperwork when I had a car in California...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
1. I don't recall what is on the back, but I believe that's where the previous owner signs it over to you. Odd if it isn't signed over, but you should talk with dealer to clear that up. There should be a lien holder on the front of it if you're making payments.

2. They will register it in your name if you have clear title to it.

3. Do not assume. Call your insurance and ask.

4. Quite a bit,

Old 01-03-2013, 05:16 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopremeBeing View Post
So my questions are:
1)Does the back of the Title certificate need to be completed even though we are making payments on the truck? (website says the fee is $100, but we do not officially own the car)
2)Will the DMV register the truck even though my fiance cannot register any vehicles at this time?(site says plate fees are $180)
3)I have not heard anything from the DMV, my insurance company, or the dealer about my insurance coverage. Is it safe to assume my current coverage is acceptable to MD?
4)And how much is all of this going to cost?
5) Safety inspection
6) Old tag not returned

hmmmm

Last edited by MrRational; 01-03-2013 at 06:30 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM

Thank you for responding.

On the back has a section "Application for Title and Registration". According to the website, it needs to be completed, but I am not sure as to why if we are making payments. The lien holder's info is on the front, though.

I managed to track down the email address of the dealer employee that processed the vehicle information with the DMV, I sent an email and hopefully I'll hear a response soon. I'll call my insurance company too.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM

By the way, In Maryland it's the MVA, not the DMV.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,097,097 times
Wait a minute - The dealer charged you $200 for processing and didn't even fill out the transfer block on the back he IS REQUIRED to complete? And the Dealer didn't provide a valid inspection document? That is also wrong. A dealer has to provide a valid inspection before the car is sold (Or have you had the car untitled for that long?) And if it is being financed whoever is financing it should have filled out the block about a lien on the back. Oh and in Maryland YOU get the title and the Lien Holder gets a Lien notification (Many states including VA the Lien holder holds the Title) You do own the truck. There may be a lien on it but you own the vehicle.

There are several blocks on the back. I don't have a Title in front of me right now but as I remember the upper left block is to be used when an individual sells a car. Then there are one or more blocks that a dealer can use to transfer the car to you or another dealer. Then there is an application for a new Title and an application for a Lien. All the appropriate sections should have been filled out when the car was transferred.

Another thought - The lien holder on the front is the lien holder that the person who's name is on the title had a lien with. There should either be a notarized letter from the Lien holder saying the lien is satisfied or a Lien Certificate (looks like a title buts says something like Lien Certificate on it) that is completed stating the lien was satisfied. Otherwise the lien holder still has a claim against the vehicle with the previous owner. If you were buying it by assuming the previous owners loan there should be some paperwork from the lien holder. But I would be extremely concerned about doing that and do not know if it is legal.

Who did you buy the vehicle from? Did YOU buy it from a dealer? or the owner on the front of the title? If directly from the owner on the front He should have filled out the individual sale block on the back. If there was a lien on the front was the lienholder notified and approved of the sale? if so you need proof of that (I would want that because how do you otherwise know how much is owed on the vehicle? and if the lienholder will allow the transfer under the current loan contract?)

Oh the plate fees are for 2 years if I remember correctly.
I have never had a problem with MVA or DMV paperwork in MD or VA. It was always very straight forward whether with a dealer or a private sale (and I even sold a car that I sold with a lien on it until the soldier who bought it from me finished paying for it) It sounds like there is something shady going on here

Old 01-04-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
It sounds like there is something shady going on here
That's what I was thinking. It's why I said to not make assumptions. She needs to make calls. The other part is the part where her fiancé can't title a car. I've never heard of that before. Something isn't right about this whole thing. I hope she doesn't get stuck with a bad deal.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 AM

Wait a minute - The dealer charged you $200 for processing and didn't even fill out the transfer block on the back he IS REQUIRED to complete? And the Dealer didn't provide a valid inspection document? That is also wrong. A dealer has to provide a valid inspection before the car is sold (Or have you had the car untitled for that long?)
Correct. We got the Certificate of Title in the mail a few days ago. All it had was the Vehicle Info, my fiance's name and address, and on the bottom it has the loan/financial company's information. The back is completely blank.

Who did you buy the vehicle from? Did YOU buy it from a dealer? or the owner on the front of the title?
We bought the truck from a used car dealership.

As far as my fiance's license, it is valid and he is permitted to drive. But there is something wrong with his ability to register a car in his name. He had his car stolen some years ago, it was reported to the police, then his car was later abandoned by the thieves, and towed. I cannot remember the exact details at this point, but something about him not claiming his tags from the tow company or not reporting the theft to the MVA (not sure if car thefts are reported automatically here in MD, they are not in CA), but he cannot register a vehicle until he pays a 3K fine. It wasn't discovered until this past summer when he bought a car from his sister. He says he's trying to lower the fee or have it erased altogether since the car was stolen. I know, it makes no sense, he's told me the story twice, but I just can't recall the actual details right now.

I called my insurance company, and was told that my current information was sent to MVA at the beginning of December. They have not received any adverse action in regards to my coverage at this time, but I am prepared to change my policy if MVA deems it necessary.

The MVA CS line should be open in a few minutes, so hopefully I can get this all cleared up.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,097,097 times
What is the problem - The title you recieved in the mail sounds fine. The car is in your Fiance's name ( not sure what the 'he can't title a car' concern was about but it looks like the State allowed it. It has the lein recorded on it. That is all as it should be. The state always mails the title out to the address on it. It takes a few weeks. Yours just finally arrived. If you WANTED it in your name or both your names that could be a different issue but it sounds like whatever problem he had has been cleared up.

You don't need to do anything on the back until you sell the truck or pay it off. When it is paid off the lein holder will send you a 'Release of Lein' which you keep with the title or go to the MVA with it and the title (and athe processing fee) and they will issue you a new title without the Lein on it.

Do you have tags on the truck? That should have been done when you got it at the Dealer. along with a registration slip. It could be temporary or permanent (some dealers can issue regular tags and registration cards some can only do temporary 30 day tags).

This is all normal. You had me confused because I thought you had the title from the previous owner not your new title. Oh and you do own the truck - It is subject to a lien and subject to repossesion if you don't pay the loan but it is YOUR truck, congratulations!

Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
This is all normal. You had me confused because I thought you had the title from the previous owner not your new title.
I was confused too, but it looks like what you posted is correct. My bad for misunderstanding in the first place. However, if the title came through correctly, and they have plates already, then wouldn't it already be registered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: