Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Virginia roads plan puts pressure on Maryland to reach funding deal | WashingtonExaminer.com

"Any Maryland proposal will run into opposition in the House, where rural delegates worry that their constituents will be paying for suburban mass transit that they will never use, such as the proposed Purple and Red light rail lines."

"Montgomery County Council Vice President Craig Rice said he addressed those concerns when Republican state leaders visited the county, telling them his constituents paid for a Bay Bridge they never use."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
I live in the Baltimore area, in Baltimore County, and am ADAMANTLY opposed to the Red Line being built. First is I do NOT want another tax increase to fund this liberal pet project of the Maryland Democrats. Remember its not just the cost of building it, but of maintaining it. Again it will be built with tax money from the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland and the suburban areas, just like the ICC was.

Secondly, the Red Line will allow yet more people from the city to move into Baltimore County. And we all know where THAT leads.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:53 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Secondly, the Red Line will allow yet more people from the city to move into Baltimore County. And we all know where THAT leads.
Tom, you have adequately captured the sentiment of terrified 1970s whites. Congratulations on your remarkably outdated and racist views, you must very proud. Maybe someday you'll be able to convince the house to constuct a razor-wire fence around Baltimore City - wait, or would you want a private company to do it because of your "taxes!!!!11!!!11"

Additionally, the Red Line is not entering SE Baltimore County, your Shangri La, where nothing bad ever happens. It only goes to Woodlawn, which is far too black for you to possibly enjoy, anyway.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM

342 posts, read 1,554,750 times
I think the red line ought to be modified to eliminate the underground portion and the dip down into Canton. Instead, it ought to run in a straight line following route 40 from a point west of the beltway to Golden Ring/Rossville Blvd., above ground the whole way. I think it would cost less to elevate it here and there rather than build a tunnel.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
I think the red line ought to be modified to eliminate the underground portion and the dip down into Canton. Instead, it ought to run in a straight line following route 40 from a point west of the beltway to Golden Ring/Rossville Blvd., above ground the whole way. I think it would cost less to elevate it here and there rather than build a tunnel.
It would be less cost but of use to fewer people. East-West congestion is a real problem in downtown Baltimore. Tunnelling through the congestion means much faster travel times = higher ridership.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Virginia roads plan puts pressure on Maryland to reach funding deal | WashingtonExaminer.com

"Any Maryland proposal will run into opposition in the House, where rural delegates worry that their constituents will be paying for suburban mass transit that they will never use, such as the proposed Purple and Red light rail lines."

"Montgomery County Council Vice President Craig Rice said he addressed those concerns when Republican state leaders visited the county, telling them his constituents paid for a Bay Bridge they never use."
Montgomery County residents did NOT pay for the Bay Bridge. That was completely funded by the maryland Transportation Authority tolls and NOT by gas taxes. In fact rural Marylanders are paying for the ICC which is the reason for the toll increases.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:16 PM

Mass transit should be funded by LOCAL SALES taxes. That way people who live outside the service areas do not have to pay for it. I don't see why residents of Harford County or Carroll should pay for Baltimore CIty mass transit. Additionally, a sales tax is more fair since that forces mass transit users who don't drive to pay their fair share. Everyone, even illegal aliens, has to pay sales tax. That is not true for the gas tax. If you are illegal you also don't pay income tax either in most cases.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
It would be less cost but of use to fewer people. East-West congestion is a real problem in downtown Baltimore. Tunnelling through the congestion means much faster travel times = higher ridership.
The plans to extend it to eastern Baltimore County is especially bad. That will require more money to build AND MAINTAIN and result in higher taxes. And if a regional transit authoirty if formed, which I think should be to keep Eastern Shore residents from subsidizing Baltimore and DC, it will require higher local taxes in Baltimore County. And Rosedale has ALREADY seen a ghetto influx. What happened at the McDonalds with the transgendered woman was an act by ghetto thugs. Now the Walmart in Golden Ring is highly ghetto just like the Walmarts in Port Covington and Washington Boulevard and the Target in Mondawmin and Security Square. Oh yes and there is no sense of "security" at "Security Square".......yes I know that place is named after the government offices nearby that take our tax money.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
The plans to extend it to eastern Baltimore County is especially bad. .
What is your source? The train terminates at Bayview hospital. http://www.baltimoreredline.com/maps-and-stations Here's a map.

Quote:
That will require more money to build AND MAINTAIN and result in higher taxes. And if a regional transit authoirty if formed, which I think should be to keep Eastern Shore residents from subsidizing Baltimore and DC, it will require higher local taxes in Baltimore County. And Rosedale has ALREADY seen a ghetto influx. What happened at the McDonalds with the transgendered woman was an act by ghetto thugs. Now the Walmart in Golden Ring is highly ghetto just like the Walmarts in Port Covington and Washington Boulevard and the Target in Mondawmin and Security Square. Oh yes and there is no sense of "security" at "Security Square".......yes I know that place is named after the government offices nearby that take our tax money.
I'm sorry you hate both the government and black people. **** off.

The region will continue to suffer, economically, so long as so many people think certain people should be contained in certain places. It's never worked. Communities that accept others do better in every respect.

http://www.homes.com/Real_Estate/NV/County/ELKO/

Here are some real estate listing for Elko NV. There's a lot of desert land there where you can never see another face for a long, long time. Low taxes, too. I think that's the sort of existence you seek. No need to cooperate with anybody, probably not a lot of black folk, certainly nothing like mass transit to worry about.

Last edited by HandsUpThumbsDown; 03-07-2013 at 02:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: