Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 01:47 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Did you hear me?
I hear someone whining like a 12 year old.

Where are YOU from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 01:49 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
The Mason-Dixon is not a good way to determine whether an area is Southern or not. The line wasn't created to separate the South from the North, it was to solve a dispute between British colonies. Baltimore feels more like Philadelphia than Raleigh. Marylanders felt that their boundary was further north that includes Philadelphia and Pennsylvania felt their border was further south that includes Baltimore.

Anyway this topic has been beaten to death and there is no end to the discussion. I don't understand why people continue to create new posts about the same thing repeatedly.

If people were not friendly, they wouldn't say anything at all. I would stop at hello as well. If there isn't much of a connection or an interest, why force it? I get annoyed when people are constantly trying to force a conversation as if they can't get a clue that I'm not interested.
And on top of that, I haven't come across anyone referring to anyone north of Maryland as a "Yankee", even in southern Maryland lol.

And speaking of the Mason-Dixon Line, it would've been so awesome if Maryland could've had Philadelphia!

Old 08-25-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by what??? View Post
As someone who lives in the West, I don't feel Maryland is a southern state at all. I remember Maryland being the first state I was ever flipped off while driving, after I was passed and cut off by the same driver, for only going 15 MPH over the speed limit on a 2 lane country road. The people were noticeably rude and in a hurry compared to what I'm used to. There were no southern accents, but some very strange sounding twang. The people at a bar we went to in Baltimore were cursing enough to make a sailor cringe and the women were not very feminine at all.

I have been to the South, Atlanta included, and it has an extremely different feel than Maryland. People, while not all friendly, were mostly pleasant and seemed to be very lighthearted. Outside of Atlanta, drivers throughout the region were very courteous. Even in the cities people seemed to move slower and would at least greet you in stores. In Maryland store owners would barely greet you or mumble some nearly inaudible greeting after I would say hello.

Maybe Maryland was Southern at one time... but, as an outsdier, I didn't see it.
" I remember Maryland being the first state I was ever flipped off while driving,"

The driver was probable NOT a native of MD.

It is nice to see you judge the total population of a state on 1 driver.

The D.C area of Md is populated by transplants from all over he country and represent MOST of those states, including the west.

If you get away from the D.C. area you will find a much more southern influence.

Where exactly are you from? I 'd bet people in your area have distinguishable "twange".

Old 08-25-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
That's the Baltimore accent you're hearing there. Most people outside of the city and its inner-ring suburbs speak with no discernible accent due to the influence of DC.

Out of curiosity, is your perception of the Northeast negative?
" Most people outside of the city and its inner-ring suburbs speak with no discernible accent due to the influence of DC."

Have you ever been to Southern Md. or the lower Eastern Shore or Western Md.?

Old 08-25-2014, 01:59 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I hear someone whining like a 12 year old.

Where are YOU from?
Claims to live in Baltimore but some of the Bmore posters think that he's actually from Baltimore County, perhaps Towson.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:01 PM

45,392 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Most people outside of the city and its inner-ring suburbs speak with no discernible accent due to the influence of DC."

Have you ever been to Southern Md. or the lower Eastern Shore or Western Md.?
That was a right fair retort.

My boss told me that I didn't hit a lick all day. Maybe not, I was watching the po-LICE and then the ambu-LANCE run over that doge with their tars.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
It is south of the Mason-Dixon line and was a slave state. Even if not considered "southern" today by many, it definitely has southern roots as far as its original culture; border state might be a better way to describe it.

But yes, redneck and southern are definitely NOT interchangeable.
"and was a slave state"

Slavery was legal and practiced in each of the Thirteen Colonies

Therefore NY, Mass. Conn, etc can be called "slave states".

Slave and free states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Maryland is not southern

Speak for yourself.

Being from Maryland I am free to call myself Southern. I will NEVER call myself Northern.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Maryland residents usually don't consider themselves part of the South because it has nothing in common with most of the South. Its climate is cooler than most of the South, Baltimore is a quintessential Northeastern city in terms of architecture and its working class/lower middle class population, Maryland residents have a non-Southern accent (Baltimore residents have their own residents, most of us really lack no discernible accent due to the influence of DC), and it is politically very blue in the suburbs (of course the rural areas will generally always vote Republican and urban centers will generally vote Democrat). Doesn't sound like the South to me.

The cultural South begins in the southern fringes of NoVA, in my opinion.
"Maryland residents usually don't consider themselves part of the South"

You don't know what you are talking about.

You should NOT assume to know what others think.

" in my opinion" does NOT represent what others think.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
You have many Marylanders who are still living out The War Between The States in their minds, attitudes and perspectives. I hear this garbage almost everyday!
" I hear this garbage almost everyday!"

The same could be said about your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland