Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 10,818 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to Maryland from Naperville in 2014. We currently live just a few blocks from the YMCA in downtown Naperville. We have children and currently enjoy what Naperville has within walking distance including the Children's Museum, river walk, restaurants, parks, etc . I am concerned with being able to find a town like Naperville in Maryland. Has anyone here made this move from Naperville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:11 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpjdw View Post
My family is relocating to Maryland from Naperville in 2014. We currently live just a few blocks from the YMCA in downtown Naperville. We have children and currently enjoy what Naperville has within walking distance including the Children's Museum, river walk, restaurants, parks, etc . I am concerned with being able to find a town like Naperville in Maryland. Has anyone here made this move from Naperville?
I think you are asking too specific a question to get a good answer. Annapolis near downtown might be the only walkable, rich environment similar to Naperville. Millersville is more of a typical suburb. I'd suggest finding housing in your budget, and explore what it offers. There are unique attractions to being near the Bay, such a boating opportunities, which you may never have had before. You will be only a few hours from the ocean. Why not learn what your new area has to offer, rather than trying to duplicate the current environment?

Old 10-22-2013, 11:31 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,612 times
Naperville is a neat little town. The only think like it that is commutable to Millersville is going to be Annapolis.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:34 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
I haven't been to Naperville. But for walkable cities and towns in central Maryland, check out Baltimore, Ellicott City, Annapolis, Rockville, Bethesda, North Bethesda, Kensington, Silver Spring, Langley Park, College Park and Hyattsville.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 PM

These are some really great replies. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and locations. We will make a point to research all the locations and will be making visits this fall. Any additional thoughts or locations?

Old 10-23-2013, 03:36 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpjdw View Post
Any additional thoughts or locations?
If you plan to send children to public schools, the school quality should be part of your criteria. In that case, you might favor the suburbs rather than Annapolis. Annapolis schools are not bad, but there are better districts in Howard County.

I also think Millersville, Odenton and Crofton should be part of your list. They are all in the Anne Arundel School district, and have better than average schools.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
In Maryland you are really looking for Montgomery County for something similar to Naperville. I would even say Montgomery county would be an improvement over Naperville. I have no clue why you chose Millersville, it is in the middle of nowhere. Again, there is advantages to being in, or close to the beltway. The closest thing to Naperville is probably Bethesda, Rockville, or Silver Spring. Though you may like Takoma Park if you want more of a walkable town. The problem is you are looking in the wrong place, without much knowledge of the state. If you move into the middle of nowhere, you will be sacrificing a great deal.

I am from the Chicago area initially, I have no clue how this place made your list, but the one you suggested is exurbia. There are far better areas you can move to in Maryland, DC, or Northern Virginia.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 PM

Thanks again for the great locations. A little more information; we are relocating with work and the local office is located in Millersville. Since the work is client based, it is possible to live a fair distance away from that area since there will not be a regular commute. Clients would be located in DC and Baltimore.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:59 PM

148 posts, read 242,766 times
I live on the northern edge of Millersville, and while it is not developed for walking, it's hardly in the middle of nowhere. Boy how I wish it were, often. Millersville is a mix of suburban houses and light industrial/warehouse businesses. The best schools nearby are Severna Park with older smaller houses, and Arundel schools near Odenton/Waugh Chapel with newer houses and some apartments.

Besides Annapolis which has been mentioned, you may want to look at Columbia. Close enough to Balt. and DC. Some good schools in that area too.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:39 PM

103 posts, read 286,844 times
Millersville is served by Old Mill High School. It's a very decent town, but I hear from a lot of people in that area that Old Mill isn't that great of a school since some of the "bad" pockets of Severn are assigned to that school and many people who live in nearby Glen Burnie use fake addresses to go to Old Mill. But it's definitely not the worst school in Anne Arundel County, I'd say it's in the lower middle. I suggest Arnold, MD. There are actually some decent priced SF homes in Cape St Claire, and other areas. I lived in Arnold for 15 years. It's within minutes from the historic Annapolis area, it's where the water is, it's gorgeous, and in the district for Broadneck High School. Broadneck is among the best high schools in Anne Arundel County. Another area I suggest for you is Crofton. I just moved to Crofton in early August. It gives you that community feel. They just opened up a new shopping center with a movie theater, and a rare grocery store, Wegmans. It's also about 20 minutes away from Annapolis. It's also about 20 minutes away from Six Flags America in Upper Marlboro, (PG County). Crofton also feeds into some of the best high schools in Anne Arundel County. Arundel High School, (where my daughter goes), and South River High School. I don't think it's hard to find an affordable home in Crofton, though some of the neighborhoods are expensive. Millersville doesn't have much to do. I mean, there are some great shopping centers and restaurants in nearby towns Severn and Hanover, but that's about it. I also suggest Pasadena, MD. It's in between Glen Burnie and Severna Park. It's a nice area with Annapolis area water, affordable prices, and Chesapeake and Northeast High Schools. Those two high schools are among the upper middle portion of Anne Arundel County Public High Schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland