Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 9,928 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking into moving to severna park in next couple years. We have 2 children both very young but need to know the best family oriented communities in Severna park. We would like water privileged and a place that is safe for our kids that keeps a good open communication with the whole community. How's Stewarts landings!? Help! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 05:29 PM

103 posts, read 286,732 times
Honestly, in my opinion, don't waste your money on a house in Severna Park. There are many other academically outstanding schools in Anne Arundel County with water privileges. From what I hear from people in that area, Severna Park has good academics but the social scene there sucks apparently. Kids are pushed too hard, so many expectations to "keep up with the jonses." Ty Arnold instead. Beautiful water area, even closer to Downtown Annapolis, and great school (Broadneck High). I also suggest the Arundel and South River High districts. As far as communities in Severna Park, I'm not too familiar, sorry. I just wanted to give you my two cents.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 PM

166 posts, read 352,927 times
What is your budget?

Old 02-20-2014, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 9,928 times
I don't need opinions to not move to severna park, I need opinions on where to move to in severna park. Please only comment with help with that. Our budget is no more then 550k. Thanks!!!

Old 02-21-2014, 03:52 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN119 View Post
Hi, I'm looking into moving to severna park in next couple years. We have 2 children both very young but need to know the best family oriented communities in Severna park. We would like water privileged and a place that is safe for our kids that keeps a good open communication with the whole community. How's Stewarts landings!? Help! Thanks!!
A co-worker lived in SP and loved it. However, your question is probably too specific for anyone on this forum to answer well.

I'd suggest driving around on the weekend. Since Stewarts Landing is not gated, I'd be looking at whether outsiders are allowed in, and how well the public areas are kept. The Realtor web sites will show you pictures of a tot lot and a basketball court, but I'd like to see how (or whether they are used). My impression is the tot lot is too close to the basketball court and the teenagers would dominate it.

My other impression was that many people had private backyard swimming pools, and I did not see a community pool. Personally, I would prefer a community pool. I also noticed that Magothy Beach Road was a wide, straight street, and did not look friendly for walking around.

My other issue with the neighborhood is the age of the houses. The available ones were built in the 1980's and showed their age. I'd suggest looking around some more, but I believe most of SP is going to have 1970's or 80's houses. You might also look at Manhattan Woods which has a private beach area on the river.

FWIW, we had a weekend cottage in Edgewater, and we enjoyed the privacy.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-21-2014 at 04:01 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 12:15 PM

Stewarts Landing is very nice, as is Magothy Forest and Berrywood which are all next to each other.

I am not sure what the other poster was talking about as far as gated or not. I am not aware of any communities in SP that are gated....maybe some multi million dollar homes? And no there are not wandering people in and out of the neighborhoods I mentioned and I doubt there are in any SP neighborhood. Take what people not living in SP say with a grain of salt We moved to SP from out of state 6 years ago and choose SP specifically for good schools. We liked this area better than the master planned feel of Columbia (also w good schools).

Where are you moving from?

What other questions do you have, I would be happy to answer them.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
A co-worker lived in SP and loved it. However, your question is probably too specific for anyone on this forum to answer well.

I'd suggest driving around on the weekend. Since Stewarts Landing is not gated, I'd be looking at whether outsiders are allowed in, and how well the public areas are kept. The Realtor web sites will show you pictures of a tot lot and a basketball court, but I'd like to see how (or whether they are used). My impression is the tot lot is too close to the basketball court and the teenagers would dominate it.

My other impression was that many people had private backyard swimming pools, and I did not see a community pool. Personally, I would prefer a community pool. I also noticed that Magothy Beach Road was a wide, straight street, and did not look friendly for walking around.

My other issue with the neighborhood is the age of the houses. The available ones were built in the 1980's and showed their age. I'd suggest looking around some more, but I believe most of SP is going to have 1970's or 80's houses. You might also look at Manhattan Woods which has a private beach area on the river.

FWIW, we had a weekend cottage in Edgewater, and we enjoyed the privacy.
Very few people have private swimming pools. There are many community pools you can join all throughout SP. Stewarts Landing has big plans for a community pool, but just hasn't happened yet.

Severna Park is all about slightly older homes, very little new builds. Many homes are updated, some are not. You pay a premium for the schools, and you will not notice many homes for sale.

As far as Magothy Beach Road....Personally I would not want to live on it. But one can walk on the side walk from the various neighborhoods to others. People use the playgrounds from all 3 of the neighborhoods there. My personal favorite is Berrywood playground. Stewarts Landing and Magothy Forest playgrounds are just OK imo.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 PM

126 posts, read 423,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN119 View Post
I don't need opinions to not move to severna park, I need opinions on where to move to in severna park. Please only comment with help with that. Our budget is no more then 550k. Thanks!!!
I have a coworker who lives in Manhattan Beach. Schools appear to be top notch, as with the rest of Severna Park. As its still considered a somewhat "up and coming" area, one can still get a house for sub 500k with good water access.

Any time I drive through his neighborhood, there's always a ton of young children out playing with parents hanging around outside talking to one another. It seems like a fantastic little community to raise a family in.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:02 AM

39 posts, read 48,854 times
What's the "feel" of other nearby communities, like Carrolltown Manor and Whitney's Landing and Evergreen Estates, etc?

And who has a community pool versus "just" a beach/boat ramp?

Mostly, I'm curious about what the people are like to each other, and how many community activities there are, generally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
Stewarts Landing is very nice, as is Magothy Forest and Berrywood which are all next to each other.

I am not sure what the other poster was talking about as far as gated or not. I am not aware of any communities in SP that are gated....maybe some multi million dollar homes? And no there are not wandering people in and out of the neighborhoods I mentioned and I doubt there are in any SP neighborhood. Take what people not living in SP say with a grain of salt We moved to SP from out of state 6 years ago and choose SP specifically for good schools. We liked this area better than the master planned feel of Columbia (also w good schools).

Where are you moving from?

What other questions do you have, I would be happy to answer them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland