Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:31 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livegonzo View Post
No its everything to do with politics, one party rule, and no you can't complian enough about the destruction Libs create, just look at the country, but there is hope starting this Nov.
Really? how exactly would 2-party rule have stopped MD from becoming crowded. expensive, fast-paced, or high stress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 02:42 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
I wonder how many people who were surveyed and want to move have lived elsewhere or have always lived in MD. There is nothing wrong with the state. For those who feel it is too negative, fast-paced, etc. etc. , well, welcome to the Northeast. Though technically the DC/Baltimore area is in the Mid-Atlantic.

Those of you who complain and want to leave will get the same vibe in NoVa, NJ, NY, Mass, Conn, etc. All have dense populations with grouchy people and liberal leaning legislatures. Want to move out west? You'll get much of the same in CA and in the mid-west.

If you want a slower pace of life, then move to the deep south.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:37 AM

596 posts, read 730,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I wonder how many people who were surveyed and want to move have lived elsewhere or have always lived in MD. There is nothing wrong with the state. For those who feel it is too negative, fast-paced, etc. etc. , well, welcome to the Northeast. Though technically the DC/Baltimore area is in the Mid-Atlantic.

Those of you who complain and want to leave will get the same vibe in NoVa, NJ, NY, Mass, Conn, etc. All have dense populations with grouchy people and liberal leaning legislatures. Want to move out west? You'll get much of the same in CA and in the mid-west.

If you want a slower pace of life, then move to the deep south.
I agree 100%. People need to understand and accept that everything is not for everybody. Everybody is not going to like living in Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic or Northeast states, just like everybody is not going to like living down south. They are two very different ways of life, and chances are if you really like one you may not like the other all that much. It doesn't make one area inherently better than the other, but which area you personally view as "better" will depend on the individual. Just pick the city/state/region that's best for you and try to be reasonably happy. No place is perfect, so if you're looking for a utopia chances are you're always going to be disappointed and miserable.

Some people just seem to love to complain. If you live somewhere that you absolutely hate, then do something about it. Find a place that's a better fit for you, take some action and make it happen. No, it's not always easy, but it is definitely possible. I've done it myself, so I know that it takes effort, time, and patience to be able to make a big move. It can be challenging logistically and financially, and possibly socially if you're leaving behind a network of friends and/or family. But the other option is to continue to sit on your behind and complain about how much you hate the place where you live while never doing anything about it. And if you're stuck here for a while because of a job, then try being thankful that you have gainful employment instead of hating the fact that you're not in your ideal location. Some people don't realize how much they have to be grateful for.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, life is too short to be perpetually miserable. Nobody is going to change your situation or make you happy but yourself. You can blame the state of Maryland, you can blame other residents, you can blame politics, you can blame people who don't share your views, you can whine about the expense of living here, you can blame everything and everybody under the sun. But at the end of the day it still comes back to what are you going to do to improve or change your situation? I wonder how many of the people surveyed are actually going to move, and how many just used the survey as a way to complain. I know this forum seems to attract an inordinate amount of people who do nothing but complain about how much they hate the area, but aren't willing to do anything about it other than posting ad nauseam on here how much they hate Maryland and Democrats and liberals. Being mean-spirited, immature, and negative, and putting down anybody who doesn't view the world the same way they do. Perhaps all the energy they use posting puerile, angry, and defensive comments on here would be better spent on developing a plan on how they can leave the state that obviously they hate so much. And if they already have an exit plan, then it seems like they should be off somewhere happily counting down the days until they're out of here instead of spending their time on a forum about a state they hate, and continuing to focus on how much they hate it.

Last edited by gibbsnm; 05-07-2014 at 12:49 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 03:44 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
For those who feel it is too negative, fast-paced, etc. etc. , well, welcome to the Northeast.
Those of you who complain and want to leave will get the same vibe in NoVa, NJ, NY, Mass, Conn, etc.
All have dense populations with too many grouchy people...

If you want a slower pace of life...
...fire up the way back machine.

It wasn't always this dense or fast paced or flooded with so many angry grouchy over stressed people.
Life was better **everywhere** and more than comfortable when there were fewer of us.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:00 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
The cost of living and taxes are high in (central) Maryland because - as with most things in life - you get what you pay for.

If you are happy with less, then you can always move somewhere that you pay less - like in a small city or town or rural area.

Simple stuff.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:35 AM

12 posts, read 20,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
I agree 100%. People need to understand and accept that everything is not for everybody. Everybody is not going to like living in Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic or Northeast states, just like everybody is not going to like living down south. They are two very different ways of life, and chances are if you really like one you may not like the other all that much. It doesn't make one area inherently better than the other, but which area you personally view as "better" will depend on the individual. Just pick the city/state/region that's best for you and try to be reasonably happy. No place is perfect, so if you're looking for a utopia chances are you're always going to be disappointed and miserable.

Some people just seem to love to complain. If you live somewhere that you absolutely hate, then do something about it. Find a place that's a better fit for you, take some action and make it happen. No, it's not always easy, but it is definitely possible. I've done it myself, so I know that it takes effort, time, and patience to be able to make a big move. It can be challenging logistically and financially, and possibly socially if you're leaving behind a network of friends and/or family. But the other option is to continue to sit on your behind and complain about how much you hate the place where you live while never doing anything about it. And if you're stuck here for a while because of a job, then try being thankful that you have gainful employment instead of hating the fact that you're not in your ideal location. Some people don't realize how much they have to be grateful for.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, life is too short to be perpetually miserable. Nobody is going to change your situation or make you happy but yourself. You can blame the state of Maryland, you can blame other residents, you can blame politics, you can blame people who don't share your views, you can whine about the expense of living here, you can blame everything and everybody under the sun. But at the end of the day it still comes back to what are you going to do to improve or change your situation? I wonder how many of the people surveyed are actually going to move, and how many just used the survey as a way to complain. I know this forum seems to attract an inordinate amount of people who do nothing but complain about how much they hate the area, but aren't willing to do anything about it other than posting ad nauseam on here how much they hate Maryland and Democrats and liberals. Being mean-spirited, immature, and negative, and putting down anybody who doesn't view the world the same way they do. Perhaps all the energy they use posting puerile, angry, and defensive comments on here would be better spent on developing a plan on how they can leave the state that obviously they hate so much. And if they already have an exit plan, then it seems like they should be off somewhere happily counting down the days until they're out of here instead of spending their time on a forum about a state they hate, and continuing to focus on how much they hate it.
+1
I agree 100%

Old 05-08-2014, 06:30 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
Have you had a post yet where you didn't complain about liberals?

MD is crowded, expensive, fast-paced, high-stress. It has very little to do with politics. If there was a similar stat for NoVa, I bet you would get a similar number.
Wrong, the politics has a lot to do with it. We have a one-party state run by a corrupt party that's kept in power by people who think the government exists to take care of them. That results in ridiculous confiscatory tax policy, nanny state nonsense, and corporate cronyism.

As soon as I'm able, I'm heading south to a conservative place where the government is more reasonable.

There's too many looney tune liberals here and it's too bad because Maryland was really wonderful when I moved here almost 20 years ago. They've singlehandedly ruined the place.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:00 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Wrong, the politics has a lot to do with it. We have a one-party state run by a corrupt party that's kept in power by people who think the government exists to take care of them. That results in ridiculous confiscatory tax policy, nanny state nonsense, and corporate cronyism.

As soon as I'm able, I'm heading south to a conservative place where the government is more reasonable.

There's too many looney tune liberals here and it's too bad because Maryland was really wonderful when I moved here almost 20 years ago. They've singlehandedly ruined the place.
The problem is, no matter who is in power, conservative or liberal, the opposite party will accuse the other of nefarious leadership. I'm sure if conservatives were in power then liberals would cry foul. If you're a conservative in a liberal state, then perhaps you'd feel more comfortable in a conservative state.

But what happens when that state turns liberal?

Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
The problem is, no matter who is in power, conservative or liberal, the opposite party will accuse the other of nefarious leadership. I'm sure if conservatives were in power then liberals would cry foul. If you're a conservative in a liberal state, then perhaps you'd feel more comfortable in a conservative state.

But what happens when that state turns liberal?
At this point, it doesn't even need to be a conservative state. I'll take a state where one side doesn't have a monopoly on everything.

Maryland's one party situation isn't going to change ever because of the dirty tricks the Democrats have used to gerrymander districts, not to mention the fact that there are way too many mindless voters who simply vote Democrat regardless of what happens. Look at Baltimore City.

This state doesn't even have moderate and reasonable Democrats in it anymore. It is far left extreme in every way.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:24 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
I am sure a lot of this is based on preference, but the amount of taxes that MD has is insane. 67% of the residents surveyed even said that. Those who are complaining about the people who do not like MD and continue to stay, I think that criticism is unfair. Look at the poll, it states very clearly "if they could". That is important. People stay in MD because they are able to get jobs that they would not be able to get in those "more southern" style areas. Unfortunately, in this economy it is not as easy to pack your bags and move to another part of the country. You have to live where you can get a job. MD has some nice traits, but the lure of jobs are really a major reason why people stay in MD, not necessarily because of the quality of life.

Also anyone that argues that politics are not involved, the top 8 states listed are Democratic leaning. Take that how you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: