Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:51 PM

132 posts, read 325,225 times

Advertisements

He can get a regular education for free. Even special education for free (in the public schools). Public schools are always free and don't usually have fees until high school. Those fees are just small lab fees, class dues, things like that. And if any student has a financial problem, they usually get the fee waived for them. If he doesn't know english, Most schools have the ESOL program, which is to help immigrants and non english speakers learn the language. Since your son is young, it will help really benefit him by the time he reaches high school and college. What does he need accommodated for him? Do you know if he needs to be in a Functional Life Skills class, co taught class, or if he just needs a small IEP/504 goal? At one of the schools I've taught at in California, I've had some deaf students that had interpreters. Maybe he could have an interpreter or meet with someone at school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 07:48 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longstocking.pippi View Post
Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies. My son's situation is not serious, say, mild autism. He has received special education from a group of American consultants in my country since he was 2,5 years. Now he can talk (not very smoothly but long sentences), write and do some maths...His awareness is good. I think he needs more intervention on communication skills, i.e interaction.

By the way, can anyone confirm that public schools are free from tuition and books for everyone living in the US? Thanks.
In the counties of MD that I have dealt with the answer is yes there is no tuition or book cost. I'm curious what country are you coming from? If English is not a primary language I can see that being the biggest problem. It isn't insurmountable and ESL (English as a Second Language) classes are available as part of the curriculm but just adds an extra level of complexity to setting up an appropriate education program for the student
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland