Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 03:35 PM

32,211 posts, read 34,974,611 times

Advertisements

The OP is at risk of getting his own thread shut down. I suggest we all focus on the topic, which is Maryland's identity, instead of resorting to childish namecalling and personal attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 03:50 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,365,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The OP is at risk of getting his own thread shut down. I suggest we all focus on the topic, which is Maryland's identity, instead of resorting to childish namecalling and personal attacks.
Like you called me dumb right? Hmmmmm. Who's childish?

Also my thread isn't at risk of being closed, I didn't know you were a moderator

Old 02-18-2015, 11:01 PM

27,835 posts, read 28,964,111 times
This thread has made me realize that I am proud of the "destruction" that Washington DC has caused for the culture/identity of Maryland. Working-class culture has become a relic of the past. All hail affluent, generic America!

Somebody shoot me now.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 02-18-2015 at 11:10 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 01:21 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,264,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
He made a thread in the city vs. City forum because of this thread. That epically failed, he literally got bashed by almost every poster. Even posters from outside the DMV were like "so is this the typical "BJ". I guess he has a nickname now, he has definitely made a negative name for himself on city-data.
Thought I was the only one who caught his little thread on City vs. City lol

Old 02-19-2015, 08:35 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,199,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Incredible.
Agree or disagree? If you disagree, feel free to provide a rebuttal!

Old 02-19-2015, 09:57 AM

712 posts, read 1,100,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No one's going to shut this thread down. No matter how off course it gets. I've yet to see a mod in the MD forums.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 AM

27,835 posts, read 28,964,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Agree or disagree? If you disagree, feel free to provide a rebuttal!
I have to think about where to even start my rebuttal. I didn't realize just how differently working class and white collar people see the world. But it is a stark difference.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:54 PM

687 posts, read 921,128 times
Maryland is like any other state in that has it's own regions with their own cultures. The only unusual thing is that we seem to have about 5-7 or so separate regions packed into a fairly small state.

What's not unusual is having regions. New York has many (long island, the city, plenty of differences upstate. North Carolina, Tennessee, Michigan...I can think of plenty of differences. Nevada, Montana, Idaho all has distinct regional and geographic differences.

The Great Plain states (the Dakotas on down through Oklahoma) have natural divisions with their farmland easts and their more ranch oriented wests. States that are both geographically large and population heavy like Texas, Florida and California probably have around a dozen each. I'm sure the locals could give you specifics.

Maybe a Rhode Island or a Connecticut is more homogenous, but even there the locals might point out two or three distinct areas such as between the coastal towns and the rural parts more inland.

So no, Maryland is not unusual in that it has regional differences. Every state does. It's just that Maryland's geography (mountain west, rural north, urban core, rural south, the bay & esturaries, rural east, Atlantic coast) enables a little bit more cultural differences amongst it's own residents than other physically small states might.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:55 PM

3,726 posts, read 4,906,785 times
I seem to have struck a nerve with somebody when I called central MD "general suburbia USA". Oh well. That's what it is to me. I grew up there. Suburbs are suburbs and IMO it doesn't add or take away from the states identity. I seemed to have struck a nerve with someone else in regards to crabs. Oh well, take it or leave it but the way we do it here traditionally is pure MD and is one of our states identities.

Ask anybody from any corner of the US what they think of about MD's identity and you will probably get;

Crabs; Yes, they are eatin in other states as well but have a pile of hot steamed crabs tossed down on a paper covered table for those to dig into is a MD thing and is part of MD's identity.

Chesapeake Bay; Like it or not but the bay was and is still a major identifying trait to our state. Va shares it but because VA is so much bigger it isn't as large a part of that states identity as it is in MD.

Sailing; MD is actually world renowned in the sailing community because of all the rivers and coves around the bay. You don't have to like it to realize it. I hate sailing. Boats are supposed to have several thousand horses turning a couple props at 30+ knots but just because sailing isn't for me doesn't mean I can't admit that it is a BIG part of MD's identity. MD even still has a commercial oyster harvesting season for sail powered boats to keep the skipjack tradition alive!

Annapolis; Another big identifying part of MD with the naval academy and a base for sailing as well.

Baltimore; That quirky accent as if the locals have a mouth full of marbles when they ask if your "goin downy oshun, Hun?". Charm city. I'm not bashing just mentioning it is one thing this state is known for. I speak with marbles myself.

So yes, MD has an identity as do all states. And I have spent plenty of time traveling up and down the coast and internationally as well and whenever it comes up where I'm from in a conversation with other Americans from all over those are some common perceptions.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 AM

59,555 posts, read 27,723,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This thread has made me realize that I am proud of the "destruction" that Washington DC has caused for the culture/identity of Maryland. Working-class culture has become a relic of the past. All hail affluent, generic America!

Somebody shoot me now.
Only the ignorant believe that D.C has an affect on the entire state of Md.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland