Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:32 PM

855 posts, read 1,173,195 times

Advertisements

ABC laws in MD are the pits when it comes to grocery stores not selling even beer or wine. I've lived in VA and lived in MD for a couple of years, and that was pretty annoying to me. I prefer the organization of ABC stores over some of the local shops in MD. With an ABC store, you know the store will be relatively clean and organized, and the selection is predictable.

Each district in VA has an ABC store open til 6 on Sunday for the most part . Whereas some stores in MD aren't always open on Sunday. You can also buy wine or beer any day of the week at a grocery store, 7-11, CVS, etc. which is great when you have a last minute party and want to bring something. In MD I always felt I had to organize my shopping trips to accommodate alcohol purchases.

And don't get me started about actually finding liquor stores in MD when they don't register in a Google search. VA has a much better, streamlined system IMO.

Now Louisiana beats both VA and MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 06:51 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
^^ Thanks...THAT's what I was looking for...
What about prices?

Old 04-07-2015, 04:08 AM

I haven't noticed much difference for spirits when it comes to mainstream brands. A middle of the road vodka like Smirnoff was $15 when I bought it last week in VA. Beer and wine depends on what store you're in. Safeway has the 10% off 6 bottles (mix and match) plus they have pretty good specials in general. Beer isn't bad either--6 pack Heineken or similar is $8 and up. Craft beer six pack will run $9-10 and up.

MD has more localized deals for alcohol. So, the store where I used to live would have 750s of Hendricks for $35 which was awesome. Beer and wine was more expensive than what I was used to. $11 for a blend like Apothic is a bit absurd, but you can get lucky with up and coming craft beers on special. We discovered a lot of good beers this way.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:56 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
ABC laws in MD are the pits when it comes to grocery stores not selling even beer or wine. I've lived in VA and lived in MD for a couple of years, and that was pretty annoying to me. I prefer the organization of ABC stores over some of the local shops in MD. With an ABC store, you know the store will be relatively clean and organized, and the selection is predictable.

Each district in VA has an ABC store open til 6 on Sunday for the most part . Whereas some stores in MD aren't always open on Sunday. You can also buy wine or beer any day of the week at a grocery store, 7-11, CVS, etc. which is great when you have a last minute party and want to bring something. In MD I always felt I had to organize my shopping trips to accommodate alcohol purchases.

And don't get me started about actually finding liquor stores in MD when they don't register in a Google search. VA has a much better, streamlined system IMO.

Now Louisiana beats both VA and MD
"ABC laws in MD are the pits when it comes to grocery stores not selling even beer or wine."

You would some credibility IF you knew what you are talking about.

Liquor sales in Md are by COUNTY NOT the entire state.

Some county's have ABC stores and some do NOT.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"ABC laws in MD are the pits when it comes to grocery stores not selling even beer or wine."

You would some credibility IF you knew what you are talking about.

Liquor sales in Md are by COUNTY NOT the entire state.

Some county's have ABC stores and some do NOT.
It doesn't matter. Like I said the ABC laws in MD are the pits...especially since there are no UNIFORM rules across the state. If I go to one county, I can buy alcohol in a grocery store and in another county I cannot? That's silly.

Your comment further proves my point. Thank you!

Old 04-08-2015, 06:40 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
Quote:
Like I said the ABC laws in MD are the pits...especially since there are no UNIFORM rules across the state. If I go to one county, I can buy alcohol in a grocery store and in another county I cannot? That's silly.
IMO, it's not silly at all.
It's what more LOCAL control of government means. The federal and state governments already have to much control over things that should be decided as LOCALLY as possible. And yes even, alcohol sale rules should be local. It means having a patchwork of regulations...but that’s what happens when government decisions are made “closest to the people.”

Heck, it ticks me off every time I go to MontCo and pay for a frigging bag to put my purchases in. But the people of MontCo – or should I say the LAWMAKERS of MontCo, passed that law about charging for bags...to when I’m there I either have to remember to bring my own bag (which I usually forget to do) – or pay for a bag.

As for liquor sales, I very rarely buy wine and hardly ever, ever buy liquor (once in 20 years). So if stores have limited hours or don’t have a certain product....when I want wine I just have to know what the hours and availability are for the jurisdiction or area I’m in.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:33 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
IMO, it's not silly at all.
It's what more LOCAL control of government means.
oooh now you went and did it!

Quote:
...the LAWMAKERS of MontCo, passed that law about charging for bags...
Yeah! That sort of thing wouldn't fly statewide; let alone nationwide.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:05 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
It doesn't matter. Like I said the ABC laws in MD are the pits...especially since there are no UNIFORM rules across the state. If I go to one county, I can buy alcohol in a grocery store and in another county I cannot? That's silly.

Your comment further proves my point. Thank you!
"That's silly."

According to YOU. You don't live in the state so who should care WHAT you think?

"especially since there are no UNIFORM rules across the state."

Great. let's get rid of ALL County governments as and ONLY have a state government.

It only proves that you don't know what you are talking about.

Gee, even Virginia has DIFFERENT laws by COUNTY.

SOME are DRY.

Maybe you should MOVE again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol..._United_States
"/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_StatesVirginia No Yes 6 a.m.–2 a.m. No restrictions at any time for club licensees. 6 a.m.–11:59 p.m. except local Blue Law. Yes No Licensed supermarkets, convenience stores, and gas stations may sell beer and wine. Off-premises sales no later than 12 midnight. Numerous dry counties exist. Liquor stores are generally open 10am-9pm Monday-Saturday and from 1pm-6pm on Sunday.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 04-09-2015 at 07:14 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"That's silly."

According to YOU. You don't live in the state so who should care WHAT you think?

"especially since there are no UNIFORM rules across the state."

Great. let's get rid of ALL County governments as and ONLY have a state government.

It only proves that you don't know what you are talking about.

Gee, even Virginia has DIFFERENT laws by COUNTY.

SOME are DRY.

Maybe you should MOVE again.

Alcohol laws of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_StatesVirginia No Yes 6 a.m.–2 a.m. No restrictions at any time for club licensees. 6 a.m.–11:59 p.m. except local Blue Law. Yes No Licensed supermarkets, convenience stores, and gas stations may sell beer and wine. Off-premises sales no later than 12 midnight. Numerous dry counties exist. Liquor stores are generally open 10am-9pm Monday-Saturday and from 1pm-6pm on Sunday.
Luckily, I don't live in Maryland anymore, nor do I live in VA--I live in DC. However, I do own properties in MD, so the laws of the state, county, and/or city where my properties are located do affect me, my investments, and my tenants.

Regardless of how you may feel about my post, the alcohol laws are inconvenient. It's usually a question my tenants (esp. younger tenants) ask, since many are new to the state and don't get why they can't buy beer at the Safeway.

BTW the 10 rando, in-the-middle-of-nowhere counties in VA that don't sell spirits still sell beer and wine according to your link

Old 04-09-2015, 02:57 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,060 times
Not sure about anywhere else, but us Pennsylvania citizens were never, ever asked for our opinions back in 1933 when state stores were created. It's a damn shame a vote wasn't held on the issue then, once and for all, to prevent this "privatization v modernization" mess we have today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland