Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,395 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently received a promotion and will be moving to Maryland. I am not being restricted on where to live but due to lots of travel it was recommended that I live somewhere with an easy commute to an airport... I'm assuming BWI would be best. I would like to keep living costs as reasonable as possible and preferrably would like to stay under about $1300 a month with some leeway if needed. I do not know much about Maryland and would like to ask for any suggestions on areas to live. I am single and will be living alone for the time being. I'd like to live in an area with lots to do but preferrably not in the city. Any suggestions or advice on areas to consider would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you all in advance for any information you are able to provide to help make the moving process a little easier!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:39 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
House?
Townhouse?
Apartment?
Rural?
Urban?
Suburban?
Small town (which in MD may be different than what you're used to)?
Distance of commute?
What do you mean "lots to do"?

Old 04-05-2015, 07:58 PM

Sorry for the initial vagueness. I'm open to any options. I'm finding that an apartment would likely be best to fit my price range but would consider anything if there are other suggestions. I have been looking more suburban, outside the city but still close enough if wanting to spend the day. Town size isn't an issue, I'm coming from PA and currently live in a small town but also lived in Pittsburgh for a few years, I'm open to both. Distance of commute to the airport would be within an hour... Ideally within about 30 minutes of possible. And by lots to do I meant that I would like there to be some entertainment, bars/restaurants, stores/shopping, live entertainment... Anything to do when I have some downtime. I guess that's my idea of day/nightlife without necessarily being in the city.

Thanks again!

Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 AM

123 posts, read 144,397 times
I would recommend Silver Spring. It has good restaurants, bars and concert venues and is on the metro. BWI is about 30-45 minutes depending on traffic but you can also access DCA airport by metro if needed. Rent might be higher than $1300 for a 1B apartment.

Columbia is another option. It is closer to BWI. There are a couple bars in Columbia and some nice ones in nearby Ellicott City, but in general it is more quiet and family oriented than downtown Silver Spring.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:03 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Silver Spring is now awesome but I'm thinking it's going to be very expensive as will most places near DC. Assuming you will work from home and an airport is your only requirement I'm thinking the areas up closer to BWI may be more affordable. There are a ton of places that fit your need for some form of entertainment. Columbia, Crofton, Odenton, parts of Laurel, maybe some places closer to Baltimore that others can recommend. Annapolis is nothing short of awesome too but I have no idea if it's within your budget. I'd start there, nothing says Maryland like a beautiful town on the Bay

Old 04-06-2015, 12:09 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
Elk Ridge, Arbutus, Catonsville, Oella, relay, Ellicott City (more expensive)...

Close to BWI, but far enough away from BWI. BWI is a hub for Southwest Airlines. For where we mainly fly, very good choices for flights..

Mike

Old 04-06-2015, 12:11 PM

Thank you both for the responses and help! From what I was seeing when looking into the above areas Columbia might be right. The prices might be a little bit higher than the $1300 mark but overall it looks like a great area. I'll be scouting out a few places as well in silver spring and ellicot city. Laurel looks nice but appears to be a little pricier due to its location in relation to DC.

Thank you again for the help and information. I'll have to see what I can find! Any suggestions on "must sees" in the Columbia area is appreciated as well. I love to golf and I'm hoping there will be a few courses in the area as well.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:14 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
I golf too and Columbia is a really dry spot. How often do you travel? And is an hour from the airport OK? If so I can't recommend Frederick enough. Great little town that is really really nice, views of the mountains, great people, and as a bonus a ton of great golf courses. And it's less expensive.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:44 PM

789 posts, read 1,096,676 times
Catonsville, Glen Burnie and Arbutus fit pretty much everything you are looking for while giving you more flexibility in price that the DC area. Those are listed in descending order in terms of 'niceness' I think, unless Arbutus recently experienced an upswing (someone can correct me there).

Old 04-06-2015, 03:25 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Elk Ridge, Arbutus, Catonsville, Oella, relay, Ellicott City (more expensive)...
I will second those suggestions, and add Hanover if you can find a place in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland