Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:15 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times

Advertisements

Parole Street doesn't strike me as anything too worrisome. It seems to have a fairly large Hispanic population, which may or may not be something you would be concerned about. I haven't been on the street itself, but I've seen it from either end, at West Street and at Forest Drive. There are bus stops at both of those corners, and I've never been worried about the people who board the buses at those stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 05:11 PM

74 posts, read 113,952 times
Thanks, bus man!!! I actually went over to that area yesterday to check it out. It seemed like a "blue collar" neighborhood with modest houses.. it didn't have a sketchy feel to it, like some of the other neighborhoods we've seen in parts of Annapolis. The townhouse we were interested in on Clay Street was surrounded by housing projects, and I didn't see any of those.. Race of the neighbors doesn't matter to us.. it's more crime rate, and low-income housing (how close it is..).

Old 05-19-2015, 06:29 PM

8 posts, read 35,160 times
I have lived in and around Annapolis for some 30 odd years. Clay St. is not "iffy". Clay St. is the hood. It is not safe in any way shape or form. There is a reason the real estate there goes for such low low prices. Know exactly what you are getting into.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:00 PM

Periander-
What do you think of Parole Street area? How about "Wye Island Court?" Yes.. we avoided Clay Street. We get it.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:01 PM

8 posts, read 35,160 times
Parole St. is your typical hispanic blue collar neighborhood, some property crime but not nearly as scary as Clay St. I've heard Wye Island Court is ok although it's uncomfortably close to the (very bad) Newtowne project.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,646 times
Annapolis is generally very safe. There was no crime on Clay street this year, according to: http://spotcrime.com/md/annapolis

People calling it the hood are clueless.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:19 PM

158 posts, read 296,643 times
http://spotcrime.com/md/annapolis

Old 05-22-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutea View Post
Periander-
What do you think of Parole Street area? How about "Wye Island Court?" Yes.. we avoided Clay Street. We get it.
I've never been to Wye Island Court, so I don't know for sure; but it's way closer to Bywater Homes than I would want to be.

I don't have the stats, but just going by appearance, Bywater Homes looks fairly bad; Newtowne Twenty looks worse; and Robinwood looks worse still. Personally, I would avoid anything that's anywhere near any of them. Ditto for anything along President Street between at least Van Buren Street and Madison Street.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowcream View Post
Annapolis is generally very safe. There was no crime on Clay street this year, according to: http://spotcrime.com/md/annapolis

People calling it the hood are clueless.
Only one assault in Robinwood? And Newtowne? And Bywater? Color me skeptical.

What's the date range of the crimes shown? I wasn't able to get it to accept a date range, so I would want to know what was shown in the link.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:23 AM

Thanks for all of your replies, everyone. The townhouse on Wye Island Court actually sold, so now we are focusing on the house on Parole street. I went over there and drove/walked around.. didn't seem bad at all. The house is located right near the turn onto Parole Street (near "Bagels And"). It's a 4 bedroom SFH for only $158,000.. needs some TLC, but it's a very good deal. I just wanted to make sure that neighborhood was considered mostly safe (eg, no assaults, no one will follow me home, murders, etc.) We could get an alarm system if property crime is an issue. Overall, though, that street didn't have a sketchy or dangerous feel to it. I guess it will help to re-visit it again at different times of the day. I've heard others call Clay Street the "Harlem of Annapolis" or the "hood of Annapolis..." Truthfully, it didn't compare to the neighborhoods I've seen in inner city Baltimore...

Bus man- are "Bywater homes" and "Newtowne Twenty" all housing projects?? It seems like there are a lot of them in Annapolis. As I mentioned previously, it's SO hard to find affordable housing in Annapolis for a professional couple, like us, who make a decent salary, but we are not wealthy... We'd like to keep it at around $250,000, but we've mostly seen dumpy foreclosures, bad neighborhoods, and houses needing a lot of work, or that are really far from downtown Annapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland