Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 03:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,529 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new job on Riva Road close to the mall so my husband, 4-year old daughter and I are moving to AA county from Gaithersburg MD. We just started our house search and have found much of the information here very useful.

We do not have lots of money for a house and are NOT at all set on water priviledges. We can't afford Davidsonville with our $450k-$500k budget but we have seen nice looking houses in lots of other areas. Our priorities are pretty much these: good schools for our daughter (and hopefully another child in the future); a good sized house with a decent yard in a very neighborhood feeling area (everyone knows everyone-kids play in the yards); decent shopping (don't have to go 20 minutes to get to a grocery store); not too long of a commute for me ( I have spent nearly 8 years driving from G'burg to downtown dc-I am so done with 3 hours a day in my car!)

Places we have considered but have questions about: Churchton (schools?); Crofton (schools?); Gambrills (we can't afford much there); Severna Park (expensive); Pasadena (why can we afford this? what's wrong); Odenton (schools/crowding). While I haven't ruled out Edgewater and Shadyside, it seems like the areas are really very diverse when it comes to housing. Maybe certain neighborhoods are better than others?

Please offer any suggestion or feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 12:12 PM

20 posts, read 147,629 times
I have a brother-in-law who lives in Arnold with his wife and two young children and they really like it. They live near the community college. It's a little more of a working-class neighborhood, but they've made friends with great neighbors and have a little group of neighborhood kids who play together.

They all like to hang out at Magothy's restaurant too - it's right in their neighborhood. Kinda like the local 'Cheers' for them...

Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 PM

12 posts, read 76,658 times
Default Welcome to Ananpolis

There are several communities within a half hour of Annapolis Mall - literally in every direction. Schools are generally good - the best are probably those in Severna Park and Broadneck, with Crofton close behind. You'll find the other amenities you're looking for, as well - shopping, family communities...

You referred to some areas as "expensive" but there are communities in your price range in Severna Park, Crofton and Annapolis, as well as the more upscale. [moderator cut]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-30-2006 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: No realtor advertising or trolling for prospects.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,516 times
Default Good and Bag areas of Glen Burnie, MD

How is the Glen Burnie area as far as crime. I'm looking to move there and want to be in a safe area. Does anyone know about Heritage Hills subdivision?

Old 02-14-2007, 09:54 AM

27 posts, read 121,835 times
MarylandMom, with a job in that location, you certainly do have alot of choices. You really can't go wrong with the places you mentioned. You also might want to take a drive through Cape St. Claire and see how you like it.

There's nothing "wrong" with Pasadena per se, it's perhaps a little more "blue collar" than the other areas and the schools are not regarded as highly.

We live just outside of Crofton, with a young child, and like it. It's a family area and the schools are very good. If you can find a house you like in your price range, it should be a good fit.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 11,448 times
Default Bodkin elementary in PASADENA is a BLUE RIBBON school

Hi there,
Just some food for thought on Pasadena. I think Pasadena is the best kept secret in the area. Yes there are school districts that are not desirable BUT there are some that are Just WONDERFUL. Bodkin elementary is a Blue Ribbon school. Jacobsville elementary is well on its way to Blue Ribbon- it is brand new and teachers and students are HAPPY and SUCCESSFUL. Chesapeake Middle and Chesapeake High School are really great. So what if you have some blue collar people- they are for the most part the salt of the earth and really kind (I know from experience). You also have the high dollar doctors and lawyers who live on the water right around the corner from the schools. It is really a nice location too down Mountain road.

Don't think all of Pasadena is bad. Be selective and you will be happy. Remember it is an old waterfront community and is catching up to Severna Park. Definitely would get my vote over Crofton....

-Catherine

Old 02-27-2007, 09:01 PM

40 posts, read 184,419 times
Wait a few more months and you can buy our house in the "good" school district in Pasadena. (new floors, new carpet, new paint, fully fenced, pool, 3 bathrooms, 2 remodelled, kitchen completely updated, all new appliances including new furnace/heat pump, new water treatment system, new hot water heater, etc...)
You could definitely afford it here based on what you offered for your budget.
Bodkin will really exceed your expectations. The middle school is decent, but once you get to the high school, though it's better than North East in many respects, it's just like any other high school in the U.S., imo. Until they change a bit of the administration inside that bldg (if they haven't already), the school will be what it is (they know us at the district level since the admin failed to respond to my plea over and over to adhere to their own policies regarding bullying and harassment- my daughter was switched out of there for her own safety- from the "wannabe thugs" here). BUT, that could've happened anywhere. It is a public school, after all.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:40 AM

5 posts, read 24,336 times
From what I know, Pasadena's better area is Upper Magothy. Green Haven is kind of packed and a little lower socio-economically (I'm trying to be PC). You have the convenience of Severna Park and Ritchie Hwy but on a more affordable scale.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:52 AM
rkj

4 posts, read 22,426 times
Quote:
Just some food for thought on Pasadena. I think Pasadena is the best kept secret in the area
SSSHHHH!!! Stop giving away the secret. And Chesapeake is a fine school...

Old 05-04-2007, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 85,691 times
crofton is simply better than all those other cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland