Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:51 AM

147 posts, read 156,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
which is why I want to bring some excitement there!

Would Waldorf be like the "not boring" part of SOMD? I would think so since isn't it the bigger town in SOMD?
Waldorf has a lot going on. In a way I guess one could say it's the least boring. I haven't been there in awhile but I know it's still growing. I personally like LaPlata more but some would say it's boring.

Yes, "southern Maryland isn't the happening spot" but it's cheap, safe, and not a bad commute for attractions like DC, Virginia, Baltimore or Annapolis. Along 301 there has been increasingly new restaurants, St. Mary's as well.

I lived in Charles county 12 years( I was 10), and I would say it has changed. Not sure if it's a very positive change. Crime has gone up significantly in certain areas. My parents are having trouble selling their house to move because if people who did short sales. They are trying to find other options.

They could at least have a Wegmans or Trader Joes at least..

I personally like southern Maryland but don't live it. I also like up north in Harford county near Havre de Grace. You can have fun anywhere with the right people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 01:04 AM

377 posts, read 665,324 times
Problem with SoMD is that the traffic is horrible even in relation to DC expectations. The HWY's that link SoMD with DC have too many stop lights and as a result it gets very congested during rush hour. Woodbridge on the VA side is about the same distance from DC but the commute is a lot better due to a true HWY system.

If the counties would invest in transportation infrastructure improvements you would see a huge growth in SoMD.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:10 AM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
If the counties would invest in transportation infrastructure improvements you would see a huge growth in SoMD.

That's not going to happen for a number of reasons, mostly because transportation infrastructure isn't a County function.

I don't know how you define "huge growth", but Calvert County was one of the fastest growing jurisdictions in the US for 20 years running up until a few years ago with population almost tripling. Charles County wasn't far behind.

The mantra for the area, driven by State policy, has been growth control since the late 1980s. Besides which, residential growth is a money loser from a tax revenue/governmental services cost standpoint.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:30 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
Problem with SoMD is that the traffic is horrible even in relation to DC expectations. The HWY's that link SoMD with DC have too many stop lights and as a result it gets very congested during rush hour. Woodbridge on the VA side is about the same distance from DC but the commute is a lot better due to a true HWY system.

The state of Maryland is looking into transportation infrastructure. The problem, they've looking into it for the last 20 years through useless studies.

The Kirby Hill/Livingston Rd interchange on 210 is currently under construction. The Brandywine lights are planned to be replaced with a interchange along with a park and ride. Who knows when it will be complete. This state is slow when it comes to road projects.

A light rail proposal is also being considered along 5 that goes from Branch Ave to White Plains. Like all transit projects, they will find a way to mismanage it. An extra lane may be added on 5 as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland