Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 07:16 AM

3 posts, read 8,163 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am a single african-american male who is in the military and a single father to a five year old little boy. I am moving from NC to the MD area and would like to know from the good places to live under $315K in the region. I already know the commute to Fort Meade is going to be pretty bad but, I would do that for my son to live in a nice safe environment. Any thoughts??????????

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 07:52 AM

915 posts, read 3,179,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakobD View Post
Hi all. I am a single african-american male who is in the military and a single father to a five year old little boy. I am moving from NC to the MD area and would like to know from the good places to live under $315K in the region. I already know the commute to Fort Meade is going to be pretty bad but, I would do that for my son to live in a nice safe environment. Any thoughts??????????

James
basically everywhere with $300k area. You try find a place around Laurel or Bowie or maybe even College Park

Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 8,163 times
I heard those areas weren't that great. Is this true?

Old 05-09-2008, 08:52 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,445 times
Quote:
No not true. I live in Laurel (in PG County) and have never had any problems. I am, however, in a single family home neighborhood. I would just avoid the large, older apartment communities. Bowie is also a nice area and many on this forum recommend it.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:19 AM

60 posts, read 290,537 times
Default re

Quote:
There are bad parts and good parts of Laurel. It is a large town that crosses over 3 counties-maybe 4. Bowie is a pretty nice area, I would choose it over Laurel and College Park in a second.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:10 AM

260 posts, read 842,589 times
You might want to check out the Piney Orchard Development in Odenton. There is a wide variety of homes there so you can probably a townhome within your price range. I've only been to the neighborhood once but it seems like a very nice area.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
You might want to check out the Piney Orchard Development in Odenton. There is a wide variety of homes there so you can probably a townhome within your price range. I've only been to the neighborhood once but it seems like a very nice area.

JakobD,

I agree with oneworld25 that Odenton would be one good choice for you to live especially with a child who is coming of school age.

Another area might be Columbia, Md. it would be a short commute for you to Fort Meade (just map quest or google map it "Columbia , Md. to Fort Meade , Md.) and its Southern Howard County and the school system is suppose to be excellent.

I'm actually a military spouse (wife is active duty Navy)don't hold that against us if your Army (ha ha). She just got orders to Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland. We're currently in San Diego and I'm lucky to have grown up in the DC area but had left there about 10 years ago. But I still have friends in the area and one of them lives in Silver Spring and goes all the way to Columbia to shop because its nicer and safer as well. So we'll be looking in that area as well, even though it will be a longer commute for her to Bethesda. We're going to look at some other places closer but keeping Columbia open.

My friend also suggested to look in the newer sections of Columbia (North part I think) versus around the Columbia mall area.

Lastly and this is just my opinion.....I wouldn't live in Prince George's County these days , especially with school age children. I grew up there and the school system is unfortunately terrible....I hate to say it because it was my home town and I grew up in Clinton. Anyway I hope it helps and really appreciate your Military service.
Bunky

Old 05-09-2008, 09:31 PM

4 posts, read 14,956 times
I agree with Bunky. Howard County (Columbia) is a short commute and a good area. I grew up there and still go back frequently. My husband was stationed at Ft. Meade when we met and he would go to base to use the gym and then come home and leave to go back to work. It took him no time to get there. Some parts of Anne Arundel County might be an option too. Crofton - which is a little closer than Bowie - is nice, but the schools are probably better in HoCo. Good Luck!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:24 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Be very careful where you move. Look at the schools and ask yourself what will the peer group pressure be on my son? You are looking at areas where the schools have both racial and economic diversity. That means motivated and non motivated children and families.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,050 times
Default Crime and School Comparisons

This is a good crime comparison chart for most cities [mod]linking to competitors sites is not allowed[/mod]. I agree Columbia is nice, but like anywhere else crime is rising and I would definitely check out the school before I choose a place to move.

This site gives stats for just about everything important in MD. Columbia is in Howard County. [URL="http://comparisons.choosemaryland.org/Comparison/index.asp?FA=3"]Research Tools Comparisons Applications[/URL]

I'm from Lumberton, NC and I've lived in MD for 28 years. I've lived in Baltimore City, Baltimore Co., Howard Co., Anne Arundel Co. and Harford Co. I like Harford the best, but I don't have children in school and I'm the outdoors type.

Last edited by Yac; 06-10-2008 at 04:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland