Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 07:59 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times

Advertisements

More than a few people are scared of the Bay Bridge; so much so that I've seen it listed as being among the scariest bridges in the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-B3j83ozJk

I'm not afraid of it, but I can see why some people would be. It's a poorly designed bridge. The lanes are narrow, there's absolutely no shoulder, the railings on the westbound span look like they could be knocked over in a stiff breeze, and there's the curve near the Western Shore that, when going eastbound, makes it look like you'll just shoot off the edge into the sky.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 09:27 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
^
I don't feel that way about any of it. I have always though it's impressive, and wimps out on the eastern shore side do to location.

But it is way outdated.

Although I did not look further there was a bad back up that had to do with a police presence on Friday. (Jumper?)
And I'll bet that's what prompted this posting.

Maryland is going to have to grapple with the construction of another bridge. And other infrastructure issues like all states with large urban centers do.

I mean they are just paving side streets around here that haven't been repaved in decades. And this is not a rural area.....

Old 08-22-2020, 09:32 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
Unrelated to the Bay Bridge, but I always thought it interesting how you can cross this bridge on foot......excellent Doc by the way.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:45 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Unrelated to the Bay Bridge, but I always thought it interesting how you can cross this bridge on foot......excellent Doc by the way.
I agree, that documentary was quite moving. And that, by the way, is something that the Bay Bridge has in common with the Golden Gate Bridge: they're both prominent locations for suicides. Granted, tall structures are going to be draws for those who are intent on ending their lives; but neither of them have any kind of netting or anything else to prevent it.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:19 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,933,220 times
I've never had any issues crossing the Bay Bridge. But the major incidents on the bridge over the 15 years (the flatbed trailer that became unhitched; tractor trailer that plunged into the Bay; and the female driver whose car fell into the Bay) has made me more aware of the traffic around me as I cross the bridge.

Btw, the scariest bridge I've ever crossed was the Copper River Bridge in Charleston, SC.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:37 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
The Copper River bridge is worse.

As for the Bay Bridge's design, it has to be remembered that both spans were designed without the expectation traffic would increase exponentially like it has. It suffers from the same problem the Metro system does-living patterns, and therefore traffic changed in ways not predicted.

The Thomas Johnson bridge between Calvert and St. Mary's Counties has an almost daily situation where someone freezes up crossing it as well as its fair share of jumpers.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:10 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,634 times
Yes, I immediate through of the bridge that links St. Mary's and Calvert Counties near Solomon's Island. You couldn't pay me enough to drive my sports car across that bridge during/after an ice storm.

Most people probably don't notice, but most of the medium to larger bridge crossings in the state have a Suicide Hotline number sign posted at each entryway on that said particular bridge.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:17 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times
It is one of the most fantastic looking bridges in America.

Totally underrated.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:35 AM

16,275 posts, read 10,405,411 times
I am developing a stronger fear of heights as I age but I've never had a problem driving over bridges, that bridge in Charletson was absolutely beautiful. The only time I was a bit scared on our bridge was years ago going west bound on a motorcycle, I got into those metal grate things and didn't want to make the hard turn out of it so I had to ride it out. Lesson learned, don't do that.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:39 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,675 times
There is a video of the Tacoma Narrows bridge swinging in the wind. Very scary video!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland