Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2020, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,102 times

Advertisements

I realize this question has been asked previously, however, the latest thread I can find is from 2016. Now in 2020 I’d like to get updated info as I’m strongly considering moving to Columbia, MD by end of this year, early next year.

I read in a few places online that Columbia, MD has ranked #1 as the best/safest place to live in 2018 and 2019. I’ve also read online about there being an influx of projects being built to promote housing equality (let me know if this is incorrect.) Being that every place has their good and bad areas (even somewhere ranked #1 safest) I’m looking for insight into the places TO AVOID in Columbia 2020. Please also share your recommendations if you have some.

About me, I’m presently living in Germantown, MD (MoCo) which can get costly considering I have a husband and a 5 yr old who puts us into a category of no less than 2 bedroom. Hearing that Howard County also has the best school system I’m trying to move there also for that reason. I’d like to spend no more than $1400 which on renting sites I saw is possible, but does that mean I’ll have to move to one of the “to avoid” areas? My work is in Rockville but that’s irrelevant since I’ll be working from home probably the rest of the year. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 06:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingOptsOpen View Post
I’m presently living in Germantown, MD (MoCo)
I have a husband and a 5 yr old who puts us into a category of no less than 2 bedroom.
Where's the current job? Where was the last job? Where does husband work?
Where are your family and friends? And the rest of what goes on in your life?
Quote:
My work is in Rockville but that’s irrelevant...
It's not. Especially not in terms of a moving choice.

eta: As to considering changes... consider additional work and/or better paid work ... to better afford MoCo.
Certainly in preference to taking on moving expenses and additional auto expenses by being farther away.
But if you do move... try for a location that allows walk/bike/bus to work and to eliminate the expense of a second auto.

Quote:
...the latest thread I can find is from 2016. Now in 2020...
I use google to search within CD. Here's a LINK to use.
I don't believe there are any major differences in Columbia since 2016.

Last edited by MrRational; 09-07-2020 at 07:01 AM..

Old 09-07-2020, 11:10 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
I thought this thread was sadly amusing. //www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...county-12.html.

Last edited by Digger 68; 09-07-2020 at 11:59 AM..

Old 09-07-2020, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
I thought this thread was sadly amusing. http:////www.city-data.com/forum/mar...county-12.html.
Thank you for sharing this! Very helpful!

Old 09-07-2020, 08:48 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingOptsOpen View Post
My work is in Rockville but that’s irrelevant since I’ll be working from home probably the rest of the year. Thanks in advance!
I don't mean to sound snitty, but it's VERY relevant. After all, "the rest of the year" is only four months. After that, then what? Commuting from Columbia to Rockville? Yuck!

As to where to avoid, don't live within walking distance of the village centers of Long Reach, Harper's Choice, or Oakland Mills. Owen Brown is iffy. I would have formerly given the same advice about the village center at Wilde Lake, but they've done a real turnaround in the past few years, or at least so it appears by looking at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland