Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 09:32 AM

15 posts, read 80,944 times

Advertisements

I'm moving down to Maryland to take a job at U. Maryland Medical Center. I'm considering both Columbia and Annapolis. I will visit both soon but was hoping you folks could give me some insight into one versus the other. Also, I am a single, 30 yo, male so if you fit that description where would you rather live.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 11:00 AM

28 posts, read 190,455 times
Annapolis is more expensive & maybe better for the single scene but worse traffic. Columbia is in a nice location & the little "villages" that it has are interesting. Look around at the different areas of Columbia & their town centers.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:42 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,106 times
A basic difference is that Columbia is suburban and Annapolis (within the city limits) is a self-sufficient, walkable little urban city. As such, there's a greater concentration of clubs, restaurants, bars, etc. in Annapolis and a large singles scene, not necessarily all of whom live in Annapolis, but who go there to take advantage of what it has to offer. Columbia has singles too of course but it's more geared towards families. Annapolis, again within the city limits, is far more expensive than Columbia, and has a crime problem in some sections whereas Columbia is pretty much uniform and safe and while not "cheap" per se, it's cheaper than Annapolis, and for the DC/Baltimore area, not TOO bad. Columbia is more convenient to Baltimore. Both are about equally convenient to DC.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:32 PM

45 posts, read 272,989 times
Default annapolis vs columbia

If I were 30 and single, and working in Baltimore, I would not recommend either city. I live in columbia and my son, who grew up here, works in dc and is single, 28 and a condo owner in columbia.

Based on his experience, I would suggest that you consider looking in Federal Hill, Canton, Bolton Hill, Wyman Park or Charles Village neighborhoods in Baltimore city. If you are truly averse to urban living, consider Towson. You can always visit Annapolis on weekends but the above neighborhoods have proven over a long time to be popular residential areas. The U of MD downtown campus has also attracted some nicer housing in the immediate vicinity.

Any of these neighborhoods are much closer and convenient to your job. I like columbia very much but most of my sons friends who have stayed in the vicinity have chosen to live in Baltimore or DC based on their job location.

Happy hunting!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:26 AM

262 posts, read 2,021,967 times
These are two of my most highly recommended areas in the state for singles and young families. I live in Crownsville, about 25 minutes from Columbia and 5 minutes from Annapolis.

Annapolis is better for nightlife, independent shops & restaurants, the water, boating, scenery, old town charm, Navy football, etc. It's a really great spot, especially on the weekends. Traffic is usually only bad in the immediate downtown area, and on Rt 50 as you approach the Bay Bridge during summer. There are a lot of safe communities surrounding the city and the downtown area is very nice. I'd stay away from Forest Drive communities.

If you decide to go with Columbia, there are some fun nightspots, decent restaurants, and a better mall. The "bad" areas aren't as bad as the rough areas in Annapolis, though realistically, both are quite safe. There is a wider selection of rental units. Howard County traditionally has lower crime than Anne Arundel. But I still give Annapolis the edge

Old 01-17-2007, 12:00 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,863 times
I lived in Columbia for six years right after college. I also traveled alot to Annapolis so I have a good idea what your in for. I highly recommend moving to Columbia. Yes your gonna live around alot of families but thats a good thing because most people will respect your property and privacy and expect the same thing in return. Their is a large single community believe or not and the housing and stuff to do is plentiful. Eveything is a short commute away and I have to say one of the most intelligently planned cities that I've ever lived in. When it comes to nightlife like bars and clubs you'll have a ton of chain environments but thats what the car is for and you can got to B-more,DC, or Nova which is all accessible right off I-95. Annapolis was too stuffy and overly expensive and everything was spread way out. I think Columbia will work for you and at worse you can drive to Annapolis to see the sights.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 11,814 times
What is the safest family area near Annapolis, but west of it? Is it Crownsville?

Old 08-01-2009, 05:05 PM

51 posts, read 204,523 times
^ Crownsville, Riva, Edgewater, Davidsonville are all nice, family areas.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:29 AM

11 posts, read 57,565 times
Which zip codes are safe in Columbia? Which streets/neighbourhoods should we avoid? We have found some affordable rentals in Columbia in 21044/21045 and 21046 with good schools nearby, but we do not know anything about that areas. Will it be OK if I post the rentals we liked and someone who is familiar with the addresses, tell me which locations are OK and which are not?

Old 08-02-2009, 11:07 AM

37 posts, read 144,010 times
Post the name of the rentals you like. In Columbia it's not as much about zip codes because there only like 3. Every zip code and neighborhood has nice and not as nice sections. Some neigborhoods (which in columbia they call villages) as a whole are safer than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland