Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:33 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappygirl26 View Post
We will most definitely have an inspection prior to closing. However we're still undecided about the pre-drywall inspection. Your comments & insight have given us a lot to consider. Thanks for your replies you've been very helpful!
I had pre-drywall and pre-closing inspections. Pre-drywall inspection should give you a good idea of the electrical and plumbing quality. The inspector will see how the pipes and wires are laid out. I wouldn't skip it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 07:24 AM

4 posts, read 26,432 times
Thank you all for the great recommendations! A few more items/questions, if I may...

1) I assume that the 3rd party inspection should take place post-build, but prior to settlement, correct? Has anyone had problems with the builder denying an inspection prior to settlement?

2) Let's say that the inspector finds a few items wrong with the house. Then it is supposedly repaired by the builder. Does one need another inspection after the repairs, to make sure that everything was done right? Or will the inspector that you hire make sure that the work has been completed satisfactorily?

SamstersMom- Can I also have the contact information of the inspector?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:38 AM

250 posts, read 1,378,099 times
1) Maryland Law states that you have a right to a home inspection. It does not state, however, that the owner is required to do anything about the inspection unless agreed to, in writing, by all parties. Yes, it should take place post-build, pre-settlement.

2) The inspector is being paid to come out 1 time, so if he needs to come out again, that will probably be extra cost.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 PM

298 posts, read 998,740 times
Unfortunately, the great inspector that I had passed away in June. It's too bad because I could have given him alot of business with this thread.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samstersmom View Post
I bought a new constructed townhome in January and paid $300 or $350 for a home inspection (I have been burned before by a bad inspector so having a great inspector was a must for me). He found that the furnace wasn't working and was very detailed about other things, such as screen windows having cuts in them, cabinets/doors not hanging right, and bad seams in the carpet. The builder corrected all of that and actually changed out some of my hardwoods on the floor because some had dings/scratches in them. And they washed down the brick outside of the house because the inspector wrote that the outside of the house was dirty. So I now have a sparkling new home and the others around me have mortar still stuck in their brick. An inspection is also worth it for peace of mind. The inspector I had was a retired contractor and was recommended for new builds (different than resales). If you want to send me a message, I will give you his info. The builder even commented that they should have him do their inspections.
hi, can you pass your inspector contact information here? thanks

Old 07-14-2011, 06:45 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,233 times
Absolutely a home inspection should be done, especially if the home is being built by the run of the mill builders;Ryan, Ryland,etc... we had friends who had to have their entire HVAC system torn out & redone because of something found during the inspection on their brand new home...
Builders put in used parts... nice.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:06 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappygirl26 View Post
We will most definitely have an inspection prior to closing. However we're still undecided about the pre-drywall inspection. Your comments & insight have given us a lot to consider. Thanks for your replies you've been very helpful!
Get every independent inspection that you can. Someone here made a comment about a floor sinking causing problems in their kitchen. Usually if a floor sinks it's because the footers weren't deep enough or were put into loose soil. I watched as a new house was being built across the street from me some years ago. They had to put a floor support piling in the middle of the house. I saw the hole that they dug for it. The hole was not much more than 8" deep.

It held up for a while but after 2 or 3 years the floor started sinking in the kitchen. The weight was just too much for that piling. The builder ended up having to come back and redo the footer and piling under the house in a 12" crawlspace. Not fun. An independent inspection at every stage of the process is nice but often impractical especially if you're buying a spec house.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,736 times
Default I would be interested in the name of your inspector!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstersmom View Post
I bought a new constructed townhome in January and paid $300 or $350 for a home inspection (I have been burned before by a bad inspector so having a great inspector was a must for me). He found that the furnace wasn't working and was very detailed about other things, such as screen windows having cuts in them, cabinets/doors not hanging right, and bad seams in the carpet. The builder corrected all of that and actually changed out some of my hardwoods on the floor because some had dings/scratches in them. And they washed down the brick outside of the house because the inspector wrote that the outside of the house was dirty. So I now have a sparkling new home and the others around me have mortar still stuck in their brick. An inspection is also worth it for peace of mind. The inspector I had was a retired contractor and was recommended for new builds (different than resales). If you want to send me a message, I will give you his info. The builder even commented that they should have him do their inspections.

I know the thread is a little old, but if you still have your inspector's name, I would be interested.
Thanks.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:07 PM

8 posts, read 22,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser View Post
I know the thread is a little old, but if you still have your inspector's name, I would be interested.
Thanks.
Me too!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 752 times
We have used the same inspector for all three of our houses...each time he has found things wrong that we never even had thought of..our last was new build and we had all 3 phases done..we got a package deal..most things were alright but on the final inspection the entire stairway..bannisters, posts, handrails and all were loose. Our builder had to tear it all down and redo it thanks to our inspectors report..super nice guy and very informative. David Lambert w/ inspectionhouston.com is his contact...maybe I will get a referral fee LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: