Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:59 AM

18 posts, read 52,287 times

Advertisements

Our lender told us that it would probably be a waster of money to get a home inspection because our builder has a great reputation. I'm tempted to save the $400 but I'm wondering if it'll cost us in the end?

The city/county has to inspect the property pre-drywall, do they do any other inspections afterwards? Would having a home inspection be a waste of money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,501 times
Think about this:

That $400.00 you may spend today can possibly save you $4,000 tommorow if the builders did something wrong (plumbing, wiring, etc) and you have to take them to court for repairs, but if the inspector can catch it now, I imagine y ou would have more leverage to get the builder to repair it.

You are about to make a substanial purchase, $400.00 should be worth the money to insure you are not buying a "new" POS.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:44 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,181 times
lil story - in the early 90's a friend of mine bought/built a new house in Kentlands. Prior to closing he sold his current house and rented an apartment. He then decided to give up his apartment the week of closing and walkthrough. During the walkthrough it was determined by the inspector that one level flooring was NOT up to code. That whole level had to be torn out and redone. My friend was now homeless and had to rent another apartment for a couple months. The inspection saved his *ss.

What's the saying - a penny smart pound foolish..or something like that..

Old 05-29-2009, 08:46 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,181 times
And to add I know someone right now living with part of their six year old house on JACKS due to an erosion problem, that was overlooked when they bought.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,867 times
ITA w/PPs. I had an inspection all the times I've bought new construction. Well worth the money; some things were found, but nothing really major. It's nice to have that reassurance that the home is well-built. I wouldn't take the builder or a lender's word for it. I'd wonder about a lender who would tell you such a thing.

Make sure it's a good inspector. For my first house, I hired a newbie inspector who missed something pretty basic that luckily didn't turn into a problem. My next inspector was expensive but very thorough.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:44 AM

18 posts, read 52,287 times
I too wondered why the lender would tell us it would be a waste of money? It really kind of threw me through a loop! If we were purchasing a resale we would absolutely without a question get an inspection. The only reason why I even considered not getting one was because the lender gave us the impression that the city/county does inspections to make sure the builder is building according to code regulations. But from what you all are saying, things could be overlooked by county inspectors??

Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,622 times
Reputation is great, but sometimes there are practical considerations that come into play that lead to code imperfections or violations. Say there is a crane that is cost $200 an hour and they have the roof up in the air and a board is splintering and needs to be replaced, but the guy can just throw another board on as a quick fix patch and the crane can set the roof and everyone is good to go (and it's only a little minor thing). That's how a lot of violations develop--little minor things, even with those with good reputations.

I'd probably just be safe. It's a huge investment buying a house and the $400 might save you something in the long run.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:46 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappygirl26 View Post
I too wondered why the lender would tell us it would be a waste of money? It really kind of threw me through a loop! If we were purchasing a resale we would absolutely without a question get an inspection. The only reason why I even considered not getting one was because the lender gave us the impression that the city/county does inspections to make sure the builder is building according to code regulations. But from what you all are saying, things could be overlooked by county inspectors??
Just because something passes code (meaning it meets minimal qualifications, basically) doesn't mean it is done well enough to not cause you problems down the road. In fact, the inspector may find some things that need improvement, but the builder will say, "well, it passed code," and not fix it. But if you have a record that an inspector pointed out this issue, that is helpful in case a problem develops later.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:48 PM

106 posts, read 300,851 times
Are you using the builders in-house lender? I don't know why a lender would even speak on something they don't specialize in. Never heard of that one before. Please don't try to skimp with the $400...it is money well spent. A lot of things can go wrong with a new build. The builder would normally give about a 1 year warranty. Heck...I have better warrantys on my televisions and car. Protect yourself now by knowing what you're buying...you'll be happy you did.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:32 AM

99 posts, read 505,136 times
we had our home inspected even though it was just inspected 2 weeks before by the other buyer (contract fell through) we even had a copy of that inspection report and receipts of everything that was fixed but we still went with our own inspector. Good thing we did since he found a few, albeit minor things, the seller offered us $600 at closing to cover and repairs so essentially the inspection gave us a $250 profit just by having it. Only skip the inspection if you are planning on knocking down the house to build another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: