Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 15,613 times

Advertisements

I am ready to give up on planning a wedding. Does anyone know of a scenic (mountains) location to host a wedding? We are looking to have a casual outdoor wedding with no limitations on caterers. We want to select who we want for all aspects of the wedding.

A private home in Deep Creek that can host a wedding for 75 would be ideal. We are open to MD, PA, WV or VA.

Someone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 02:35 PM

266 posts, read 911,561 times
have you thought of ostertag vistas? you can google it, I'm sure, to find out more. thorpewood might be good too (in the thurmont, md, region). A friend of mine got married at a house on Sugarloaf mountain, although I'm not sure what kind of views it has (I didn't go to the wedding; I don't think it's at the top of the mountain, but pretty setting). I think there are a lot of places out there; I'm definitely missing some.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:31 PM

672 posts, read 2,113,924 times
I don't know if these places have the facilities you want but it's some to add to your list to research: New Germany State Park in Garrett Co, MD and Canaan Valley Ski Resort in WV.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:27 PM

196 posts, read 796,030 times
Thorpewood is pretty cool, been there once. Also, it's not "mountain" but at least take a look at Camp Fretterd, right outside Reisterstown. Everything is pretty casual there, and the setting is beautiful, overlooking a nice lake in the midst of pine woods.

Ski Liberty has a mountain top lodge that is just gorgeous, with a decent view, but not sure about the catering part. There's also the Valley Golf Club near Hunt Valley, Md. Again, know nothing about the catering or pricing. But I could get pleasantly hammered looking out those windows. lol

I've also delivered to Dahlgren Chapel, near Boonsboro. They had the reception right across the road at South Mountain Inn.

Good luck in your search! I know picking the right location that just suits is probably the most difficult part. Florists on the other hand, are a dime a dozen.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:11 PM

382 posts, read 1,206,033 times
I went to a wedding at Gambrill State Park, just outside of Frederick many years ago. From what I remember, there was a nice view and there was a log cabin lodge for a reception where a bluegrass band played. I don't think the capacity was huge, but it was a great atmosphere.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:01 PM

234 posts, read 295,937 times
Default catoctin

theirs catoctin park in frederick.. my daughter was married at rocks state park end of sept.. beautiful.. deer in background. it was held out on the lawn and a pavillion was provided with tables for food.. rolling hills.. gorgeous. But make sure you check out all pavillions for best site if you go there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by velamic View Post
I am ready to give up on planning a wedding. Does anyone know of a scenic (mountains) location to host a wedding? We are looking to have a casual outdoor wedding with no limitations on caterers. We want to select who we want for all aspects of the wedding.

A private home in Deep Creek that can host a wedding for 75 would be ideal. We are open to MD, PA, WV or VA.

Someone help?

Old 06-06-2009, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 15,613 times
thank you to all for the quick responses. we really appreciate it. : )

Old 06-07-2009, 05:44 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,514 times
Not in your list to consider but I'll throw it out there anyways...Tennessee has some spots like this. They have resorts with chapels, lodges, etc. to accommodate weddings and are in the mountains.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:05 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
Blackwater Falls state park in WV! We really wanted to have our wedding there, but it was booked every possible weekend we wanted to get married We ended up at the Lodge at Little Seneca Creek in Boyds, MD. Not really mountain views, but it had the rustic, log cabin feel.

We Have the Where: The Lodge at Little Seneca Creek - A Classic Log Cabin near Germantown

Another place we considered is down near Charlottesville, near the Blue Ridge Parkway: http://www.vacabins.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland