Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:48 AM

27 posts, read 114,305 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm moving from Michigan to Maryland for a job. Job is in Columbia. Can anyone suggest a nice area to live? I'm initially looking for a room for myself. My wife and 5 kids will follow in 6 months to a year. Anyone know of a nice place to rent a room? A nice area to live? Thanks for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 12,532 times
Michiman -

Sounds like you and I may be in the same boat. If I accept the job, my wife and daughter would also follow in 6 months to one year. I get the feeling that there are going to be a lot on Michigan transplants to Maryland / DC Metro area over the next few years. Maybe we should start the Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons fan clubs now. Did you land a federal position? They are recruiting and hiring quite a bit in Michigan right now - if you're willing to move East. Best wishes to you and your family.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:14 PM

150 posts, read 596,102 times
Columbia itself is really nice area, but you might also want to look at Ellicott City.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:37 PM

9 posts, read 32,113 times
Historic Ellicott City is nice, my friend lives there. It is also close to Baltimore. There are many quaint shops in Ellicot, as well as restaurants. The neighborhoods there are nice for the most part. My friend did have her car broken into while parked at a pharmacy, but that can happen anywhere....

If you want to live closer to D.C., Bethesda is nice but very $$$ Beautiful neighborhood with lots of restaurants and shops as well. I went to High School In Bethesda, and it was great. In fact the schools in Montgomery County (the country Bethesda is located in) are supposed to have some of the best public schools in the country.

If you want to save some money but still want to be central, you can live in Rockville. This is part of Montgomery County, too. I have lived there for 18 years. It is the 2nd largest city in Maryland. Just like Bethesda, Rockville also has many restaurants, shops and schools. There are also some great parks and bike trails like in Bethesda. My son and I live right of Rockville Pike (the main drag) and are in walking distance to everything. Public transportation is everywhere..buses or metro (our local train which can take you into D.C.). It is not cheap to live here, but it is cheaper than Bethesda...

Kensington is a wonderful neighborhood as well and close to both the locations I mentioned above. I actually grew up here and miss it. There is a nice antique area to walk around and nice schools.

I would stay away from Wheaton. It's pretty ghetto and there seems to be more gang activity here lately. Gaithersburg and Germantown are North of Rockville. I never liked living north of Rockville because I felt it was too far from D.C.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:18 PM

27 posts, read 114,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUSpartanGrad View Post
Michiman -

Sounds like you and I may be in the same boat. If I accept the job, my wife and daughter would also follow in 6 months to one year. I get the feeling that there are going to be a lot on Michigan transplants to Maryland / DC Metro area over the next few years. Maybe we should start the Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons fan clubs now. Did you land a federal position? They are recruiting and hiring quite a bit in Michigan right now - if you're willing to move East. Best wishes to you and your family.

The fan club ideas not a bad idea...lol. It's like it was years ago.....would the last one in Michigan please turn the lights out. I was laid off June 19th, and there's not a job to be had in my field in Michigan. And with Michigans 15.5% unemployment rate, I don't think there's going to be one soon. Plus, I'm hoping my house sells.....that's not promising either. What type of federal job? I've heard about them, but am not sure exactly what's out there. Sounds like we need to share a place....lol.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:00 AM

297 posts, read 1,273,745 times
Michiman,

You can check available federal jobs on the US government's jobsite: USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site. Welcome to Maryland!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:04 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
There's plenty of us Michiganders who have moved here before you did. Me, I moved here almost 12 years ago. Haven't participated in any Red Wings fan clubs here, but up to a couple years ago there were always more Wings fans than Caps fans at Verizon Center. That's changed with the arriva of ,Ovechkin. Anyways, Columbia, Ellicot City, Catonsville are all good places.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:22 PM

382 posts, read 1,206,199 times
If you're working in Columbia, I can't see any reason to look outside of Howard County. Why have a long commute when you don't have to? Plus, there's so much for a family. Good schools and lots of activities. Clarksville, Ellicott City and Elkridge are all close to Columbia and have great places to live. Plus, there's Columbia itself. Wish I could help with a room. Have you tried Craigslist?

Old 08-01-2009, 04:09 AM

11 posts, read 57,600 times
Which neighbourhoods (and zip codes) in Columbia are safer and which I should avoid? I saw a crime report from a Howard county PD and it was frightened- child sex offenders, gun displays and shots, robberies..We are in the middle of relocating in MD and we have one 5 year old son. We need a safer place to raise our child, please help

Old 08-02-2009, 10:40 AM

11 posts, read 57,600 times
Does anyone can answer my questions?

Hope somebody could help with information....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland