Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 05:51 PM

41 posts, read 259,212 times

Advertisements

I am currently trying to do some research and find a good area to teach in after I graduate next spring. I was wondering what are some areas of Maryland in need of teachers and what are some nice areas for a young teacher to live. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 07:06 AM

26 posts, read 188,890 times
Aviod PG county public schools and Baltimore city schools unless you want a challenge and dont let any 1 say any different i went to PG county schools dont go there. They will eat u alive.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 26,683 times
Default i agree

Best place to teach would be Montgomery County or Harford County. Some areas of Baltimore County would be OK also. Dont let them talk you into Cecil County, without visiting the area first. If you are redneck you will love it. If you like a little sophistication you will hate it. Depends on your outlook. There isnt much money in the county, which is why housing is still so cheap. It is under-developed, which seems to be changing now. The plus about it is the schools are smaller, and it is a cheaper area to live in. The down about it, 45 minutes to the closest "real" city (baltimore, philly), a lot of poverty, a lot of nicer neighborhoods inhibited with sec 8 housing, and lot of white trash.

Pick your poison, personally I would rather spend the extra 50k on a house to live in Bel Air, or Northern Baltimore County.

My Two Cents.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:06 AM

350 posts, read 1,646,329 times
First, all counties in MD need teachers, so finding a job shouldn't be too difficult. I'd check out Howard county and Anne Arundel county- just check out the living areas before you commit to anything. Also, a lot of apartments offer discounts to teachers. What age will you be teaching?

Old 07-19-2006, 09:44 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,317,534 times
I'll make a plug for Calvert or St. Mary's counties. I know Calvert has a good reputation for its schools. I hope the cost of housing in many parts of the state aren't too big a shock for you. I also hope you find a great place to work and live.

btw, I worked in the PG county school system for one year, and that convinced me to go another career route.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:35 AM

262 posts, read 2,022,379 times
Post everyone recommended a different area!

Here's the final county ranking in MY opinion, in order of quality of schools and actually wanting to live in these areas. There are a handful of exceptions in every area, as always, but good schools in PG are pretty rare, for example. I'll provide more info on my choices if you'd like me to expand...

1) Howard
2) Calvert
3) Carroll
4) Anne Arundel
5) Northern Eastern Shore (Kent, Queen Anne, Talbot, Caroline)
6) Frederick
7) Harford
8) Montgomery
9) St. Mary's
10) Lower Eastern Shore (Dorchester, Somerset, Wicomico, Worcester)
11) Cecil
12) Baltimore County
13) Western MD (Washington, Allegheny, Garrett)
14) Prince George's
15) Baltimore City

Old 07-20-2006, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan
I'll make a plug for Calvert or St. Mary's counties. I know Calvert has a good reputation for its schools. I hope the cost of housing in many parts of the state aren't too big a shock for you. I also hope you find a great place to work and live.

btw, I worked in the PG county school system for one year, and that convinced me to go another career route.
I will say, that my best friend is a P.G. County school teacher, as is her mother and brother. They aren't great schools, but good teachers are definitely needed- and they pay better than a lot of other school systems in the state. It would definitely be more challenging than some of the other counties. They put up with a lot of kids who don't care, and parents who don't care either, not to mention more behavioral issues.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:21 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,317,534 times
I didn't mean to make it sound hopeless, but my experience was not good. Physical confrontations between students and teachers was not uncommon. I had to hold down a kid who was trying to attack one of the vice principals, until the police arrived. Maybe it was more intense than I expected. It certainly wasn't like the school system where I was educated. Culture shock.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:32 AM

Honestly, they do need good teachers in P.G. but I wish my friend would teach in a better area- even though it is my old high school! I know she's had problems with kids threatening her and cursing her out, and one kid even pushed her into the lockers once. It's so sad how bad the area has gotten- I'm only 26 and the difference in that school from when I was in high school is incredible.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:39 PM

82 posts, read 542,063 times
I'm really interested in your impressions of these areas'home values. Which are good buys? Which are overpriced?

And which have plain old cool people who you'd like to move next to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoons
Here's the final county ranking in MY opinion, in order of quality of schools and actually wanting to live in these areas. There are a handful of exceptions in every area, as always, but good schools in PG are pretty rare, for example. I'll provide more info on my choices if you'd like me to expand...

1) Howard
2) Calvert
3) Carroll
4) Anne Arundel
5) Northern Eastern Shore (Kent, Queen Anne, Talbot, Caroline)
6) Frederick
7) Harford
8) Montgomery
9) St. Mary's
10) Lower Eastern Shore (Dorchester, Somerset, Wicomico, Worcester)
11) Cecil
12) Baltimore County
13) Western MD (Washington, Allegheny, Garrett)
14) Prince George's
15) Baltimore City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland