Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,951 times

Advertisements

My best friend and I are looking to move to Maryland soon and we are looking for something like this:
Inexpensive
Low crime rates
Jobs
Good public transportation system like NJ Transit and PATH
An area where I don't have to dodge bullets like Newark, NJ

Please, if you have any ideas, that would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 02:07 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Does not exist.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:07 PM

87 posts, read 333,649 times
JM that is simply not true!
There are many nice areas. No, I would not live near certain areas downtown Baltimore other than that you wont have to dodge any bullets!!!!!!
Are you looking to buy a house or will you rent?
What kind of jobs are you looking for? The job market isn't exacly hot right now keep that in mind. There are many areas that are nice and have public transportation. http://www.mtamaryland.com/

Old 09-14-2009, 07:18 PM

516 posts, read 1,376,045 times
Depends on what kind of jobs you are looking into..

Old 09-14-2009, 07:18 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,018 times
Hi

Where are you going to work / what part of Maryland hires people with your skills?
What is your budget for a place (i.e. what is inexpensive to you)?
Are schools an issue?
Do you 'require' mass transit or just 'like' mass transit?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:39 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDJJ View Post
JM that is simply not true!
There are many nice areas. No, I would not live near certain areas downtown Baltimore other than that you wont have to dodge any bullets!!!!!!
Are you looking to buy a house or will you rent?
What kind of jobs are you looking for? The job market isn't exacly hot right now keep that in mind. There are many areas that are nice and have public transportation. Maryland Transit Administration Home Page
You might be correct but if you take literally what the op is asking there is no such place in Maryland. No doubt there would have to be a compromise.

"inexpensive
Low crime rates
Jobs
An area where I don't have to dodge bullets like Newark, NJ"

Old 09-15-2009, 06:44 AM

307 posts, read 692,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepdis View Post
Hello, Are you looking to buy or rent? I am a real estate agent in the Maryland area. I am sure I can help you. Sharon.taylor1957@comcast.net. Let me know.

Wow Sharon. Getting any business?

Old 09-18-2009, 08:45 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyn84 View Post
My best friend and I are looking to move to Maryland soon and we are looking for something like this:
Inexpensive
Low crime rates
Jobs

The problem is finding a town that has low crime rates but is INexpensive. New Jersey is very expensive.

Of course, there are a lot of nice towns.

If you find a place that is reasonably safe but inexpensive, there is no public transportation.

There are no jobs in NJ, at least ones that pay a living salary. Of course, that's true of the whole country. I know of people who have applied for hundreds of jobs in Jersey, and can't even get an interview. I really hope the economy turns around soon.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyn84 View Post
Inexpensive
Low crime rates
Jobs

Such a place does not exist in fair Maryland (or everyone would live there ). Now maybe if you subtracted the "inexpensive" requirement I could help you out...

Also, what are you looking to get (an apartment) and would you prefer the Baltimore area or DC Area. Both have excellent transportation options (light rail, Metro, MARC commuter rail etc.) but different characters and job markets. Anyway here's a starting point: Silver Spring (borders DC, good Metro access, low crime, plenty of jobs nearby, and not too expensive).

Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Pikesville. Low crime (as I mentioned elswhere, I've lived here for 8 years and never had to lock my cars in the driveway). Great schools, easy to walk everyhwere. Metro stations to ride to downtown Baltimore if needed. Jobs. Can be quite inexpensive to buy here, too.

Most people ignore it due to not being as "sexy" a destination as a DC suburb or the Inner Harbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland