Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 01:29 AM

1 posts, read 15,531 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Maryland this summer for an internship and need to find a place to stay. We are from Rexburg Idaho (small college/farming community in Idaho) and want to find an apartment in a safe neighborhood. It needs to be close to Fort Meade and reasonably close to DC. My wife and I are in our mid 20's and we have a little girl that will be a year old in April. Does anyone have insight on safe cities/communities near Fort Meade? I would really appreciate the Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanajar View Post
Does anyone have insight on safe cities/communities near Fort Meade? I would really appreciate the Help!
Your best bet is to search the forum first, as the question has been asked dozens of times before. It depends on your budget, and whether you can sign a year's lease or need shorter terms. Columbia and Ellicott City are very nice, but maybe too expensive on an intern's salary. Also check out Jessup, Severn and Odenton.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,534 times
Yeah we would need quite a bit more information.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 AM

126 posts, read 423,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanajar View Post
We are moving to Maryland this summer for an internship and need to find a place to stay. We are from Rexburg Idaho (small college/farming community in Idaho) and want to find an apartment in a safe neighborhood. It needs to be close to Fort Meade and reasonably close to DC. My wife and I are in our mid 20's and we have a little girl that will be a year old in April. Does anyone have insight on safe cities/communities near Fort Meade? I would really appreciate the Help!
I'd look in Odenton. Severn for the most part is a bit hairy depending on where you are. The key thing you need to remember anywhere near Fort Meade is keeping up your security sense. Don't advertise that you have nice things, keep your door locked and deadbolted and nothing in plain view in your car and you'll be fine 99.9% of time time.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:26 PM

27 posts, read 118,259 times
I live in Millersville, MD. It's probably 15 minutes from Meade. Crownsville is nice it is a community up from Annapolis. I would stay out of the Military town, Odenton/Severn. But there are nice places if you venture away from post. And my biggest recommendation is stay away from PG country. Prince George.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:58 AM

764 posts, read 1,656,770 times
It really depends on your budget. Since you're little one is not in school, you definately don't need to pay the premium to live in Howard County (Columbia or Ellicott City), although, if you're traveling to DC you probably don't want to be north or too far east of the base. Laurel, Scaggsville perhaps.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:44 AM

126 posts, read 423,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
It really depends on your budget. Since you're little one is not in school, you definately don't need to pay the premium to live in Howard County (Columbia or Ellicott City), although, if you're traveling to DC you probably don't want to be north or too far east of the base. Laurel, Scaggsville perhaps.

Scaggsville would be one heck of a drive in the morning. Route 32 is a crappy drive, as is 198, and it's only going to get worse. I'd agree about not paying the HoCo premium, though. The crownsville area also has some amazing schools, and one isn't very far off of 50/301.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 AM

5 posts, read 25,152 times
there are nice places if you venture away from post. And my biggest recommendation is stay away from PG country.http://www.*****.info/g.gif (broken link)

Old 08-02-2012, 05:33 AM

29 posts, read 69,087 times
Have you tried Laurel? A wonderful place with restaurants supermarkets great schools shopping center commute..etc x
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland