Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 07:41 PM

133 posts, read 301,140 times

Advertisements

I lived around the DMV(DC, Southern MD, NOVA) area all my life, I like it here. It's really nice now, I was a child when DC was considered #1 Dangerous city and it has done a huge turn around. The number one thing I like about The DC area is that it's very diverse not only by race, but religion and nationality. There are Saudis, Nigerians, Koreans, Jamaicans, Salvadoreans, Peruvians, Vietnamese, Filipinos, Chinese, Somalis, Ethopians, Lebanese, Indians, Pakistanis, and lots of Germans. It's like a mini-UN here and it's growing more diverse by the year. I'm in college in the DC area and I plan to live in NYC for a couple of years for my career, I'm not sure if I want to raise my children in NYC or not. I would love to live on the East Coast when I get older. I would like to live near major cities, water, beaches, I would want a home near the beach or a waterfront. I really the Eastern shore area. It's very easy to travel to NYC, DC, Phili, or Bmore. How diverse is the Eastern Shore? What are the best cities and towns for upper-middle class families?

My Other Choices Besides the Eastern Shore:

-I really love NYC. It's my favorite US. This is the best area for my career which is in Fashion. I might make it my permenant home.

-San Diego. I visited and and I fell in love. Sunny, close to beaches, wildlife, outdoors, has a large spanish speaking population.

-Hampton Roads-Norfolk-VA Beach Area
It's really pretty here.

I'm snowed inside my house in DC and I'm just thinking about the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:19 AM

542 posts, read 1,498,558 times
The Eastern Shore isn't very diverse. The best place to find it would probably be Salisbury/Ocean City, because of schools/tourism. But even there, it's pretty limited.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:56 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
Not diverse -at all. Although, certain areas are growing and slowly becoming more so....
If you are looking for areas for "Upper Middle Class" as you say.... I would probably say Talbot County... Easton being the main city, St.Michael's area....

Old 02-06-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Not diverse -at all. Although, certain areas are growing and slowly becoming more so....
If you are looking for areas for "Upper Middle Class" as you say.... I would probably say Talbot County... Easton being the main city, St.Michael's area....
Yeah, I was thinking about that area they have a lot of nice waterfront mansions and houses.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:36 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
Eastern shore: White, white, white, black, white, white.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 AM

23 posts, read 72,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Well I am black, and born and raised on the Eastern shore of MD. And I have to say I agree with that for the most part, although there is now also a budding hispanic population in some parts of downtown Easton that used to be predominately black areas. I never lived in the black areas, but I've been back to visit, and I hardly recognized those areas. That having been said, the area is not really that diverse, I'd say 60 to 70 percent white, 30 to 40 percent black...and then now there is a small influx of hispanics as well.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:48 AM

293 posts, read 570,370 times
Quote:
...what he/she said!!!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
eastern shore: White, white, white, black, white, white. :d

lol

Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michloveslos View Post
Well I am black, and born and raised on the Eastern shore of MD. And I have to say I agree with that for the most part, although there is now also a budding hispanic population in some parts of downtown Easton that used to be predominately black areas. I never lived in the black areas, but I've been back to visit, and I hardly recognized those areas. That having been said, the area is not really that diverse, I'd say 60 to 70 percent white, 30 to 40 percent black...and then now there is a small influx of hispanics as well.
That's interesting to know. I haven't been to Easton in ages. It's possible they are first-generation immigrants and/or illegal aliens. Nonetheless, I daresay Maryland's hispanic population has exploded just about everywhere. Even in Garrett county.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:26 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyokoMariaUrameshi View Post
I lived around the DMV(DC, Southern MD, NOVA) area all my life, I like it here. It's really nice now, I was a child when DC was considered #1 Dangerous city and it has done a huge turn around. The number one thing I like about The DC area is that it's very diverse not only by race, but religion and nationality. There are Saudis, Nigerians, Koreans, Jamaicans, Salvadoreans, Peruvians, Vietnamese, Filipinos, Chinese, Somalis, Ethopians, Lebanese, Indians, Pakistanis, and lots of Germans. It's like a mini-UN here and it's growing more diverse by the year. I'm in college in the DC area and I plan to live in NYC for a couple of years for my career, I'm not sure if I want to raise my children in NYC or not. I would love to live on the East Coast when I get older. I would like to live near major cities, water, beaches, I would want a home near the beach or a waterfront. I really the Eastern shore area. It's very easy to travel to NYC, DC, Phili, or Bmore. How diverse is the Eastern Shore? What are the best cities and towns for upper-middle class families?

My Other Choices Besides the Eastern Shore:

-I really love NYC. It's my favorite US. This is the best area for my career which is in Fashion. I might make it my permenant home.

-San Diego. I visited and and I fell in love. Sunny, close to beaches, wildlife, outdoors, has a large spanish speaking population.

-Hampton Roads-Norfolk-VA Beach Area
It's really pretty here.

I'm snowed inside my house in DC and I'm just thinking about the future.
Personally with your career path I'd forget the Eastern Shore.

-NYC. May be the best choice for you career-wise. But VERY expensive and raising a kid there would be a challenge, money-wise and otherwise.

-San Diego. Nice but not cheap either and I don't hear of it having much for fashion career.

-Hampton Roads. I love my hometown but it nowhere near as diverse as NYC, DC, San Diego. Actually it's kinda equal to the Eastern Shore but there is a sizable filipino community and military community that sorta helps. Also, not much for a fashion career or even careers not in the government or military. But if you are talking about places to raise a family and kids, I think you could not find a better more balanced place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland