Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:42 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
Sadly, I cant. Outside of visiting friends who went to Umass Amherst, I havent spent much time that far west in MA. Depending on how old you are, there are many college kids out there. many of them are poor, and chill.., not much more I can say outside of that. It doesnt really compare (in my mind) to austin, but its also not a city...
It's not a city?

Teachertype:
I realize Texas is different than Massachusetts.
And, as much as I like a good salt lick, I think I'll stick with the 'subaru lesbians' and 'trendy intellectuals'. (smile)

Thanks for the comparison though.
Every little clue helps out! There's room enough for all types in one of the 50 states, right?

EDIT:
But what about automobile dependence? I think Austin is VERY sprawled out and has a lackluster public transit (despite all the hoopla over one measley lil o' stretch of light rail).

How would a car-less life in Northampton compare I wonder.

Last edited by brubaker; 06-22-2010 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 05:29 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,602 times
in Northampton and western Mass in general,you will need a car. If you never plan on venturing out of the general vicinity you could probably get by on a bike.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 AM

12,846 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
It's not a city?
Well, technically it is. It's a city government and there are around 30,000 people living in the 35 square miles that make up Northampton. It has a dense downtown, but it's a very small geographic area. It has some semi-suburban neighborhoods and rural outskirts. In my opinion, it has the look and feel of a mid-size town. Still, Burlington Vermont and Portland Maine (I lived there for four years) are much the same way. VERY small cities that feel like towns in many ways.

You're asking the right questions and doing the right research, but I think you may want to consider a weekend up in the area to get a feel for yourself. Understanding that it's very different than TX is one thing, but seeing HOW it's different first hand is far more useful.
Quote:
EDIT:
But what about automobile dependence? I think Austin is VERY sprawled out and has a lackluster public transit (despite all the hoopla over one measley lil o' stretch of light rail).

How would a car-less life in Northampton compare I wonder.
Western MA is spread out (not "sprawled out"). Cars are very important. I know people who live in Amherst and Northampton without cars, but they are EXTREMELY limited as to what they can do. The bus system out there (PVTA) is ranked among the best in the country for its size and it covers a large area. Still, I wouldn't want to have to rely on it all the time. If you insist on living without a car, you would probably have to live downtown and you'd still have limited access to many amenities and activities (including the great outdoors).

This isn't just the case for Northampton. It's the inherent nature of any small city. Portland Maine may be a little larger, but the transit system up there is actually inferior to Northampton's. You'd be even more stuck. Burlington's isn't wonderful and you'd need a car there too. Can you make it work? Sure. But is it worth it? I don't know.

There are only three cities in New England where I'd be comfortable telling people that it's easy enough to live without a car. Boston (in many cases it's easier without the car), Providence RI (great, extensive, bus system, urban core, and access to a number of rail options) and New Haven CT (see Providence's description). Even in the latter two, it's often easier to have a car. I think you'd be pretty stuck in Northampton (more so in Portland or Burlington).

Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 AM

Interesting.
I'd like to visit but I see there's only one hostel in the area ... in Burlington.

Decisions decisions.

Thanks for the informed replies.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,897 times
I lived in Northampton for about a year after I graduated from UMass Amherst (many years ago....lol!).

I liked it in some ways, however, one thing I did not like was that it seemed like everyone I made friends with was only living there temporarily since it is a college area. I did not have a car, and that seemed fine to me, however, I was used to not having one before I lived there (and the car I drive now is a Subaru....I like the 4 wheel drive).

I have never been to Texas.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:41 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
with was only living there temporarily

Yes, I am from that area and I got so sick and tired of making friends only to have them leave. It happened so many times that I decided not to make any friends unless they came from there originally!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:51 AM

Hmm, I guess friends coming and going would be the case in any smaller college town.
Good to hear it's not totally car dependent. That's a big plus for me.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
I live in Northampton and didn't have a car for a year. Don't use mine very much except for long trips; I bike most places.

If you don't have a car, it would be much easier if you lived near downtown. Which is the nicest part of town to live in anyhow, though it can be pricey.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:10 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Ditto on Nei's advice to live around the center of town, in either Northampton or Amherst. Being able to live without a car works better in the central neighborhoods of those towns than in most of the area. In town in Amherst or Northampton you can walk easily to a lot of stores and restaurants in those towns. You also have access to both the local transit (PVTA) for trips to major spots around the local area, and the Peter Pan bus when you need to get out of town.

Keep in mind that this is a rural area. Having a bike would be useful. While getting around by walking within either Amherst or Northampton works well if you live right in town, without a bike you're limited within the wider local area to several other towns and other key locations, like a small mall in Hadley, which the PVTA serves. It's also worth bearing in mind that the PVTA cuts back their hours in this local area quite a bit during Christmas/January break and summer. With a bike, you should be able to find some nice back roads to explore. Nice to be able to do this, because it's a beautiful area. Just be aware that the area is what it is, a rural area with some gorgeous natural scenery, and two small to medium-sized towns that have more nightlife and culture than many medium-sized towns because of the colleges in the area, but still are not the big city.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,897 times
Good point about living in/near town if you do not have a car. When I lived in Northampton, I lived in town and could walk to the bus stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts