Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 10:58 PM

19 posts, read 93,569 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are moving to Boston area this summer. I just learnt about MA laws that require all housing where children under 6 years live to be deleaded. Effect is that landlords refuse to rent to tenants with children, despite this is prohibited by law.

I already was flat out told by an owner she would not rent to us because we have kids. Also an agent asked about "who will live there", and after learning there would be children under 6, the apartment in question suddenly became unavailable.

This is a scam. I understand the law is pretty retarded the way it's formulated. In order to do any good it should require all newly rented apartments to be deleaded and state really should provide some aid to landlords (waive taxes or something).

Anyway, we are wondering what to do. I am really thinking about not disclosing we have children and just taking landlord "by surprise". Of course this does not bode well for future relationship with landlord, and I hate this kind of tactics, but on the other hand I need to find a place! Virtually there are no deleaded places advertised for the areas we are looking for (Arlington, maybe Belmont, Winchester).

Of course, I would not move to a place in poor repair, with peeling paint, etc. But if the place is well kept, I see no real danger. We currently live in an old apartment, and there is no risk for our children to get poisoned (verified by blood tests anyway).

Any comments/suggestions?

Last edited by um1111; 06-23-2007 at 11:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 08:00 AM

735 posts, read 3,500,801 times
I wonder if lead is really the issue??

I just rented my condo to a man with two boys and there is a clause in the lease about lead paint. My tenant signed off on it and it's a done deal. Same as when you sell a home- most sellers really do not know about the paint, so they sign a disclosure stating it is unknown.

Where are you looking? If you look in the suburbs, you will have no trouble finding a landlord that will work with you. Are you looking at houses?

Landlords may balk if you are looking at small apartments- 2 bedrooms with lots of neighbors. Landlords do have the right to 'choose' and be selective for any number of reasons.

I suggest posting an ad on craigslist- in search of housing, and also trying to meet some landlords on your own via that site. Good luck....

Old 06-24-2007, 10:11 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,199,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice3 View Post
Hi,

What is your price range? I have a home for rent (2700 + sq ft.) Boxford, MA (20 minutes from Boston/Cambridge) top rated school system! Great yard for kids (swing set, basketball net everything)
I would be interested in know more about your rental if you would like to send a PM. We are a family of three total hoping to move to Ma. in the summer. Let know what you are asking please.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:56 AM

Thanks for responses. I am looking for 3 bd place for up to $1800. Do not want to blow to much on rent as we may buy a house in a year or two.

By law, landlord has no right to refuse to rent to families with children, only exception being if the building is owner occupied (and no more than 3 units), or if in the building lives an elderly (65+) or disabled person for whom presence of children would be a hardship.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:11 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,807,234 times
When I was looking for an apartment in Newton, I had no problem finding an apartment with an infant in the family. I just had to find an agent willing to work with us. The first couple agents were nasty, but once I found one who liked kids, he did all the work for us. I imagine it'd be much harder if you're trying to find a place w/o an agent because landlords can be pretty nasty when it comes to children/elderly/handicapped.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by um1111 View Post
By law, landlord has no right to refuse to rent to families with children, only exception being if the building is owner occupied (and no more than 3 units), or if in the building lives an elderly (65+) or disabled person for whom presence of children would be a hardship.
A landlord can pick and choose as they desire. They just can't refuse a tenant for that reason. But hey....would they really tell you that? NO.

If I had 5 candidates, as a landlord, I have the right to pick the best one for the property I own. A reason does not have to be given.

I suggest you work with an agent or contact no fee listings to see how cooperative some owners may be. Metioning your situation upfront will save you time.

Best of luck.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
A landlord can pick and choose as they desire. They just can't refuse a tenant for that reason. But hey....would they really tell you that? NO.

I suggest you work with an agent or contact no fee listings to see how cooperative some owners may be. Metioning your situation upfront will save you time.

Best of luck.
I already did... I was flat out told by an owner she would not rent to me because of children.

When talking to an agent the apartment "suddenly" became unavailable after I told him I have children.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:12 PM

that is indeed illegal and rude, but not much you can really do. Would you really want to rent from a perosn like that- probably not!

You just have to keep at it and hopefully meet a good landlord.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:14 PM

I'll contact Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. I wonder if they will do anything, doubt it, but I'll report that nevertheless.

Homeowner is one thing, but the agent pull this kind of crap, should loose his license.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by um1111 View Post
I'll contact Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. I wonder if they will do anything, doubt it, but I'll report that nevertheless.

Homeowner is one thing, but the agent pull this kind of crap, should loose his license.
yes- I think you should report them. Legally however, it would only be money out of your pocket.

Where are you looking? Have you tried craigslist yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts