Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 15,935 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My husband and I will be moving to Mass within the next 6 months. He will have a job in N Andover. Just wondering if anyone could give me commute time if we found a house in Hopkinton. Also, I would love any info. on this town as well. Good school districts? Pricey to live? How far is 495 from this town? Also , is there a commuter rail to N Andover from here? Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 06:05 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
No commuter rail from Hopkinton. It's very close to 495, semi rural, very good schools but do you have some reason for inquiring about Hopkinton if your husband will be working in North Andover? I would think you'd want something closer.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:12 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Agreed. Hopkinton to North Andover is quite a distance. It's about 50 miles. I'd say you're looking at a minimum of an hour, possibly more. Why not look north of Boston, or at least up near Littleton and Westford. You could cut that commute in half.

There's no commuter rail in Hopkinton, but there are train stations in Southboro and Ashland, which are nearby. Won't help you for North Andover, though. It would be an hour from the Hopkinton area just to Boston's South Station. The only trains going anywhere near North Andover leave from Boston's North Station, a totally different station, and also take an hour from Boston.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 PM

We were thinking we would want to be close to our parents in RI and always head down there on the wknds in summer..My husband wouldn't mind a 40 minute commute but not any longer.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,402 times
Hi Jeni, I just wrote an article for the Wall Street Journal about Hopkinton I thought you might find helpful. You can also see a few photos of Hopkinton & surrounding towns at Flickr: elizaj1's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21590926@N07/ - broken link).

I used to commute from Southboro (which is next door to Hopkinton) to Andover and it was about an hour, straight up Rt 495. It usually wasn't too congested but it's definately a long ride, and N. Andover would be a few minutes further.

Please feel free to drop me a line if you have questions. I work in Hopkinton & bought my first home there so would be glad to share the pros & cons. :-)

Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 PM

Thank you so much! I will check it out! I am in the process of looking for what the best towns would be off of 495.. We would love a single family ( we are first time homeowners with a brand new baby) and dont have a clue really about towns in Mass. I had seen really good things about Hopkinton I just didn't know if it would be the best town to live commuting to N Andover and trying to get down to see our parents on wknds in Narrragansett ( RI ) I will check out the article you wrote and let you know if I have any further questions! Thanks so much!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:28 AM

735 posts, read 3,501,333 times
The commute would definitely be over 40 minutes each way. Hopkinton is a fantastic town but you probably would be killing your husband in the process

Check out the Acton area.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeni1520 View Post
I had seen really good things about Hopkinton I just didn't know if it would be the best town to live commuting to N Andover and trying to get down to see our parents on wknds in Narrragansett ( RI )
Hopkinton's nice but it seems that you've got to get to North Andover every day during the rush hour, and Narragansett only on select weekends. It might be worth looking 20 mins closer to N. Andover and having a slightly longer trip to RI. Agree with NY'er--also near 495, Boxboro, Acton and Littleton are nice towns.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:34 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Hi jeni. I have to agree that Hopkinton to N. Andover would be a nightmare of a commute. The only positive is that it would be a REVERSE commute (going against the majority of the traffic flow). Here is a chart of the commuter rail that run through Andover/North Andover:

I don't know what your budget is or where you're coming from (other than parents live in RI) but both Andover and North Andover are nice towns. You could also look a bit north, in Newburyport (beautiful downtown) maybe Amesbury, or Merrimac, West Newbury, etc. What's important to you in your next town other than schools? Active downtown? Recreational opportunities? Each town has it's own 'something special' to offer, and there is no one town that will work equally well for all...

Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 PM

76 posts, read 133,471 times
Hopkinton is a great town! Good schools, great community. But the commute to N. Andover would be WELL OVER 40 minutes. Traffic on 495 north is AWFUL during rush hour. Unfortunately i don't have any other suggestions for better places, but Hopkinton is too far if your husband wants a 45 minute or less commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts