Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,234 times

Advertisements

what are the best hiking/camping guide books for New England? moving to boston in spring 2011
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 11:56 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
What sort of hiking are you talking about? I don't know any guidebooks for easy hikes. I'm sure they exist, but I don't know about them. If you're interested in more rugged hiking up rocky trails to the tops of mountains, the main book I know, and the first one I would recommend you check out, is the Appalachian Mountain Club Trail Guide. The AMC Guide does not always have a lot of tourguide kind of info about the views in an area, but it gives detailed, straightforward descriptions of the features along each trail that have to do with the process of actually hiking the trail you're interested in.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:13 PM

i hike with my dog most of the time so nothing too technical, though i'm not scared of altitude. anything that gets me in the woods away from people. i do backpack every now and then so something with longer hikes is good too. if the past is any indicator, i'll end up owning most of the guides anyway.

also, any websites for trail reports/descriptions?

thanks

Old 09-19-2010, 04:30 PM

779 posts, read 877,739 times
We have "New England Hiking" by Michael Lanza, which is a good guide. We also have "Best Hikes with Dogs--New Hampshire and Vermont" since we hike with our dogs often. I like them both, though we don't always use them. We enjoy hiking in the Presidential range and have started working on all the 4,000 foot mountains in NH, but they're good books to have around.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:44 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
These sound like some good suggestions, NewfieMama. Hamiltonduke, I'll stick with my suggestion of the AMC Guide. The trails the book covers have a wide range of difficulty. I've seen dogs on some of these trails plenty of times. The book also gives a good picture of the level of difficulty on each trail.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:35 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Try these:

Appalachian Mountain Club – Outdoor Recreation, Education, Conservation in the Northeast

hbbostonamc.org - Home

Good places to connect with hikers in the New England area.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:58 AM

thanks for the help, folks. maybe i'll see you on the trail next summer

Old 09-20-2010, 06:59 PM

199 posts, read 948,769 times
You can pick up guides on hikes, walks, and waterfalls around New England or greater Boston at your local library.

AMC has a couple of guides - AMC's Best Day Hikes Near Boston, which includes map illustrations and AMC Massachusetts and Rhode Island trail Guides (no maps though). AMC also have guides on hiking in the Berkshires and White Mountains.

There's one by Alan Fisher, Country Walks Near Boston, which includes map illustrations.

MA State Parks - http://www.mass.gov/dcr/forparks.htm; (broken link)
MA Audubon - Welcome to Mass Audubon! ; and The Trustees of Reservations The Trustees of Reservations: Protecting Landscapes and Landmarks across Massachusetts - have some lovely places to go for a hike or walk.

If you've got kids, there are two guidebooks, Best Hikes with Kids Connecticut, Massachusetts, & Rhode Island and Best Hikes with Kids Vermont, New Hampshire, & Maine which are useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts