Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 04:43 PM

7 posts, read 36,573 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were in MA this weekend checking out towns. With our realtor(s), we saw Burlington, Reading, Tewksbury, Wakefiled, Reading and Beverly.

We really liked Reading and Wakefield--my husband will be commuting to Cambridge and we really liked the "feel" of the towns. We have a 3.5 year old and one on the way so we're in the process of researching schools etc.

We did take a look at some houses for sale and realize we're going to have to spend a bit more to get what we want, but the lot sizes in Reading were more appealing to us than in Wakefield.

Does anyone here live in either of those towns? If so, do you like it? Hate it? Why?

We're coming from NJ where property taxes are already high--and I read of the water tax in Reading but even that isn't high to us--comparitively speaking. Love any advice...
TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 07:40 PM

54 posts, read 251,113 times
I have close relatives living in Reading. We visit often.

Reading has a lot going for it--good schools and location, plus relatively affordable compared to some

other places around. I would say it offers very good value and quite good lifestyle in general.

Water/sewer is very expensive and so are taxes (compared with Wakefield e.g.). Many are not happy with that. Coming from somewhere else you will have much more balanced view on that.

I like Reading better than Wakefield. Yes, area around lake in Wakefield is quite nice, but the rest I do not like as much. Nor, I know much about it except that Wakefield seems to be a fine place to live.

What about Melrose? Your husband commute would be easiest from there. Also, I would strongly consider Andover (right above Reading). Bit more upscale, has very good schools, and more amenities (like town swimming pond, unlike Reading which I find lacking in such department). Will you be stay at home mom? If so maybe this will help: About My Moms' Group - My Moms' Group (Burlington, MA) - MeetupMeetup

Wish you all the best.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:14 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Yes, my aunt and uncle used to live in Reading. They liked it there but compared to Wakefield the property taxes are much higher. Water is expensive for now but allegedly will go down once Reading's introductory probation period in the MWRA expires. No idea when that might be.

I like downtown Wakefield. Main St. is nice.

Melrose and Andover are nice towns as well. Melrose obviously much closer to Boston and denser, though not all parts are super-dense. Andover's more spread out.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Did you consider Lynnfield or North Reading? Why or why not?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 36,573 times
We were only up for 2 days...we are considering Lynnfield, but did not get to see it that much. Just drove through. North Reading is on our list for the next time we visit.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 AM

148 posts, read 137,498 times
We just moved to Wilmington (just west of Reading) and we really like it. There are loads of activities for the kids and there is a pretty good mix of newer and older homes. There is a town lake and the schools are pretty good. We are currently renting so I'm not sure how property taxes here stack up, but I have heard the town is well managed. We do not pay for trash service or school buses, which some of the other towns do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts