Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 AM

4 posts, read 4,297 times

Advertisements

My wife and i just got hitched a few months back and we are currently living near Quincy center. I love the commute (via the redline) into work (I'm near Downtown Crossing) but she works in Lexington, so the commute isn't great, but not quite unbearable.

We are looking at purchasing a house which would accomodate both of our needs from a commuting standpoint, but since we are starting a family, we'd like to find a suburb with a great community, nice downtown, and good school system. We like Quincy, but we're not sold on the schools, and have become concerned with some of the things we've seen in regards to robberies, muggings, etc.

So, wondering if anyone can recommend the best town which would let me continue to have a good commute into Boston, and allow my wife to have a better commute to Lexington. Our price range is probably 350K-450K. We also have a dog, so a decent size yard is needed. We like Hingham, but is tough to find something in our price range. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 10:10 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Maybe Watertown or Arlington? Sadly, $450K is not much of a budget inside of Route 128.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:21 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
In addition to Arlington and Watertown, Belmont could work. All three would have condos in multi-family houses or perhaps a small single-family home in your price range. Arlington has Red Line access at the extreme SE corner of town at Alewife. Belmont and Watertown offer either commuter rail access (Belmont Center and Waverley) to Porter or North Station, or bus lines to Harvard or Porter for the Red Line.

It's a short ride from, say, Waverley to North Station (under 20 mins) and then a couple of stops on the Orange to DTX. You just have to get used to keeping to the train schedule.

Of those three towns, Watertown's schools are the "worst" but they're not that bad.

You could also rent in any of those towns for a reasonable price and continue to save before you buy. It would give you a chance to become familiar with the neighborhoods.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:37 PM

50 posts, read 239,781 times
In that price range for a house with a yard and decent schools, I would look into Burlington or Wilmington. If you're willing to buy a condo or very small house with small yard you could find something in Arlington, Winchester or Belmont and get even better schools but Burlington or Wilmington will be a step up from Quincy schools.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
You may also look at beford and burlington will get you more for your money.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:45 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Another possibility is Wakefield. Pleasant town. Schools have a solid reputation. Not too long a drive to Lexington. Commuter rail to North Station.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:10 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Yes, Wakefield is also nice, the minus is all near Lexington and the area close are money.
maybe if you did look to the Roslindale, and West Roxbury area it would work for you.
Also if you have the baby your wife would be home for 3 months at least. Newton is nice but far
and also big money. Maybe check out bedford may be your best choice, or still rent for now. If you are to move to a new town rent fisrt to
really see if you want to live there. Also a baby will do fine in an apartment, and school is at least 4 to 5 years away! Hingham is nice, but a way to Lexington. Norwood also may get you a home with a yard, not sure about the education bit.

Last edited by maggiekate; 10-07-2010 at 11:21 PM..

Old 10-08-2010, 12:48 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
Default Winchester or Wakefield

Def,. check out Wakefield nice charming town with a lot of recreation activties, businesses in the downtown square and transit into the city

Winchester is a bit more pricey if you can afford it it is a great place to live.
I am living in Winchester and have been here my whole life 33 yrs.
A great town!

Old 10-08-2010, 12:49 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
Default Downfall for lexington

The other problem with Lexington is lack of public transit options both Winchester Wakefield, Arlington etc. have good transit into the city
Lexington is further out and the only real option is to drive in or drive to the "T" via Route 2. (Alewife Station) (Red Line)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts