Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,991 times

Advertisements

My family is native to the North Shore, and we have been living in Minnesota for the past 3.5 years.

I have accepted a job that will relocate us back to the Boston area, and primarily for the commute and housing affordability we are looking hard at Weymouth.

We've done about as much online research on the surrounding communities as we can, and understand the inherent differences re: Weymouth vs. Braintree vs. Quincy, etc. for schools and neighborhoods.

What is leaping out at most is the MCAS differences between the elementary schools and the high school. using GreatSchools.com, there's a big drop off (8-6 on a 10-point scale for elementary, 4 or so for the high school) and we were hoping to get some idea why.

Typically it's the town elders that either stand up for the town and accentuate the positive OR bemoan how far down it's gone since the "good old days."

I'd be hugely appreciative for any opinions or insights into the high school situation, as well as the town in general. Sincerest thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 PM

460 posts, read 671,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd-relo View Post
My family is native to the North Shore, and we have been living in Minnesota for the past 3.5 years.

I have accepted a job that will relocate us back to the Boston area, and primarily for the commute and housing affordability we are looking hard at Weymouth.

We've done about as much online research on the surrounding communities as we can, and understand the inherent differences re: Weymouth vs. Braintree vs. Quincy, etc. for schools and neighborhoods.

What is leaping out at most is the MCAS differences between the elementary schools and the high school. using GreatSchools.com, there's a big drop off (8-6 on a 10-point scale for elementary, 4 or so for the high school) and we were hoping to get some idea why.

Typically it's the town elders that either stand up for the town and accentuate the positive OR bemoan how far down it's gone since the "good old days."

I'd be hugely appreciative for any opinions or insights into the high school situation, as well as the town in general. Sincerest thanks in advance.
Based on anecdotal evidence (lots of family members and friends from Weymouth), there seems to be a fairly strong drug culture running throughout the high school (and probably at the middle school level as well). I think that could explain some of the score deterioration.

Sorry I don't have any hard facts.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 AM

8 posts, read 53,318 times
I have to agree with southshorelady regarding the rise in drug culture in Weymouth. I believe my source is much reliable as she is a school kids van/bus driver and picks up children in Quincy and Braintree. I can inquire some more ...

Also, Braintree is a wonderful town to live in ... with better schools than Quincy as I hear it!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:49 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Great Schools rates based on standardized test scores, # of AP classes etc- tangible, measurable statistics. Drugs are a problem in Weymouth but I honestly do not think you will find any school in the commonwealth that does not have problems with drugs and alcohol. Beyond the drug problems, I would look at police reports and speak to parents about violent crime and gang activity. Usually that is a better indicator if this is a situation of teens using drugs or teens making a living dealing drugs- which is a whole other problem.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:14 PM

30 posts, read 130,348 times
We moved out of Weymouth last spring to get away from the drugs, crime, terrible schools and less than desirable neighborhood/people. The property values there are going downhill fast and will continue to do so as long as the town stays on the path it's on. I am thankful we sold our house when we did! Some of the houses on the market have been on there since we listed our house and have dropped their prices over 100k!! My advice would be to stay away from Weymouth - especially if you have kids.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:56 AM

6 posts, read 15,063 times
We currently live in Braintree, which has a great school systems, but housing is not as affordable as Weymouth. You get less for your money. We wanted to upgrade but couldn't afford Braintree prices. So we chose Mansfield! We're moving in 3 weeks. Weymouth was one of our option but after looking at the school system, we decided to move further out. Check out Mansfield! The town has great school, great sports teams and has commuter rail access to Boston! Housing is as affordable as Weymouth.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:33 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
That is so sad to read about Weymouth. I grew up in South Weymouth and haven't lived there in over thirty years.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:47 AM

116 posts, read 316,618 times
How much can you afford? Check out Pembroke or Hanson. A bit further out but better schools and prices shouldn't be too much higher than Weymouth.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,445 times
I live in weymouth and have to agree the drugs are out of control here.The town is falling apart.If you have children I would definately stay away i have hearsd some horror stories from relatives with children in the school system. There are a ton of houses for sale right now as everyone is leaving. My husband and myself and our 1 year old are actually moving out of the state in April.I've leived in wemyouth for the past 15 years and it really is sad how downhill it has gone

Old 02-23-2014, 01:11 PM

23 posts, read 47,533 times
Update: getting worse! I hope the town officials can find a way to fix the blight of the community. All aspects of Weymouth seems to be worsening or just merely flatlining. I'm renting currently and find it hard to think about buying a home in Weymouth and wasting tax dollars on a government that seems to encourage mediocrity and/or failure. I would prefer Norwell, Hanover, Pembroke, Abington, Whitman, Carver, Easton, West Bridgewater, and so many other towns. The main benefit of Weymouth right now is its proximity to Boston and route 3. Sad to hear from locals of how great the town "used" to be and seeing with my own eyes how some here can care less about their homes and community. I'm trying to convince my wife to move south towards 495. I find the area more rural, cheaper, and has more of a classic New England look and feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts