Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:32 PM

210 posts, read 498,935 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving!!! The Turkey is in the oven, the baking is in process and the fresh coffee is spreading its aroma all over the house. It is cold in San Diego today, last night was only around 40F. My pomegranate tree is all yellow among palms and oranges.

We still want to leave California and are looking for two places now. There are two offers for my job: Boston and Virginia. If I choose Boston, we will most likely live in Harvard, MA if I choose VA, it will be Alexandria or Springfield, VA. My husband will most likely work in Nashua, NH. I want Boston area so much, but I am afraid long commute and longer winters. VA offers more job opportunities for my husband and maybe more advancement for my job. But, I am not sure if I want an advancement. I could afford a better home 40 miles away from Boston and still have a good school around. VA is very diverse with ugly pockets and generally less affordable housing. I do not want to spend more than $470, 000 for the home.

I am really lost. Ask anything you want . Or well, our income for both states is around the same $165,000K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 02:24 PM

95 posts, read 201,638 times
Did you also post this on the Virginia forum? There might be some people on that forum who know both areas and have some suggestions for you.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:52 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
It's been years since I've been through Harvard, MA but I used to live in Alexandria, VA and there's no place as vile as the greater DC area. I'm thinking Harvard is still quite bucolic and would be a better choice.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:09 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Harvard is beautiful and not a bad commute to Nashua (all the towns off Rt. 2 are OK commutes to Nashua).
I don't know much about the DC area except that it's supposedly horribly congested, much worse traffic and gang stuff even in the suburbs.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:28 AM

17 posts, read 61,317 times
Harvard is a small,quiet,beautiful town,approx. 25 mi. from Boston. Homes are $350.000-$900.000.Also has one of the best schools in this state!

Old 11-28-2010, 11:26 AM

210 posts, read 498,935 times
Schools' quality was one of the first considerations for us. We have a smart 6th grader at home. She needs a good one. Some people living in San Diego are telling me I am stupid to change CA to MA. Am I crazy?

Old 11-28-2010, 05:20 PM

95 posts, read 201,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede in CA View Post
Schools' quality was one of the first considerations for us. We have a smart 6th grader at home. She needs a good one. Some people living in San Diego are telling me I am stupid to change CA to MA. Am I crazy?
I'm originally from Vermont and lived in San Diego many moons ago for a couple of years right after college. Even though it was beautiful and the weather is considered ideal (though growing up with four seasons, I really missed them), I missed New England terribly and moved back to MA. I've been here over 21 years and don't regret a thing as far as moving back. Personally, I just love New England and everything about it.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Harvard, MA is a much smaller town and far more rural than any suburb you will find within 30 miles of Washington, DC. That can be bad or good, depending on your perspective.

If your husband will be working in Nashua, you may want to consider Groton, MA and Hollis, NH, as well.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:17 PM

88 posts, read 269,961 times
Swede in CA, my Husband and I are in a similar situation (no kids yet though)... Everyone thinks California and more specifically San Diego are perfect... but I guess that depends on what you think perfect is. We're visiting the Boston area at the end of December and early January. People think we're nuts to look at MA over CA as well. As far as your 6th grader goes, I think the Mass school systems have better educated teachers, and lower teacher to student ratios. (From what I've read anyway!) And, to be honest I haven't heard the best things about San Diego schools... and with the budget cuts.. it just gets worse and worse. They've been through so many Superintendents of schools recently too; there have to be problems on the inside. I think personally that the schools in MA would be better than VA. Because in VA either you're in the very expensive areas by DC (not in DC!!) and the schools are good, or you live outside of the expensive areas and the quality of education isn't as good and the standards are lower. However, I think MA still has quality schools even if you are in the suburbs.

Good luck!!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:47 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,239 times
Hi,

I think you will find Northern Virginia to be much more similar to San Diego than Massachusetts, so it depends on what you want. Northern Virginia is more transient than Mass with a heavy military population, coupled with a diverse immigrant population and I think the cost of living is quite comparable to San Diego. Traffic and crime in NoVa both seem to be worse than San Diego. Job opportunities in NoVa are a thousand times better than San Diego and a bit better than the Boston area.

I think the schools in Massachusetts are the best in the USA overall and much, much better than San Diego. The biggest change will be the weather and the fact that Harvard, MA is a bit isolated and probably more of a small town than you are used to. The New England area is great, it feels very unique, much more so than Northern Virginia, has older architecture, more rural areas and of course true four season weather. I think the weather is actually better in Massachusetts than in NoVa, the summers are cooler and less humid while the winters seem sunnier, though colder with more snow. The secret to living in Mass is to take a vacation to someplace warm in late March, or early April when you are just completely sick of winter!

Massachusetts is also close to great places like New York City, Montreal, the coast of Maine, Cape Cod, Vermont and so much more. Just trying to get out of DC on the weekends is much more difficult than Mass.

The property taxes in Massachusetts are comparable to California while income and sales taxes are lower. Overall the cost of living is less though you will miss good, fresh produce in the winter!

I hope that helps a bit, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts