Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 10:13 AM

131 posts, read 410,608 times

Advertisements

In a few years we are looking to buy a house. We have 3 young kids, so schools are important. DH has family in CT, so we would like to be closer to them, but still stay in MA (we are in Lowell now and can't wait to get out). Our price range is very low...probably 170K at the most for a 3bd 2ba home. We are fine with an ugly house that needs a lot of updating.

What would be a better bet, around the Dudley/Charlton area or maybe looking a little west of that like Brimfield, Monson, Wilbraham? I know nothing about Western MA...is it worth a look? Will we get more for our money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
It might be tough to get something for 170k in Dudley or Charlton, unless it's a small house and property. But it is one of the better areas in SWC.

Brimfield and Monson are pretty rural and seem further away from Springfield than they actually are. I don't know terribly much about either. Just be prepared to drive a little further from those two to get to places.

Oxford could be a possibility, as its more affordable and the schools aren't as bad as in Southbridge or Webster.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:53 PM

325 posts, read 925,115 times
Where will you be working?

Look at Ware and Palmer for more affordable homes. If looking further west, mabe West Springfield or Westfield. I'd avoid holyoke and springfield due to the schools and crime. You should find a decent house in your price range in Greenfield, which is a nice town, though kind of far. http://idx.mlspin.com/rslts.asp?aid=...ths=1&gla=&lot=

Old 01-07-2011, 03:05 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
For 170k you won't find much in WSPFLD or Westfield,and i wouldn't even waste my time looking in Wilbraham 170k is just not close. Don't know much about central mass but for western mass i would look into palmer or monson or maybe even ware.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,180 times
I'm partial to Charlton because that is where I live. This house is cute & in your price range An Unaddressed Home in Charlton, Ma 01507 - Real Estate - MLS #71113698 - Realtor.com®

It's not a bad location close to Rt. 20 tho so you'll have some road noise. It's on "Old Worcester Road" Dunno why realtors like to hide the road names on realtor.com.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:27 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Dollar for dollar, Oxford is not more affordable than Dudley. Both are more affordable than Charlton. Just curious, where will you be commuting to for work? Dudley is a little isolated. If you need Pike/290 access, go with North Oxford or Charlton. Dudley-Charlton schools are excellent. Actually, Oxford schools are mediocre on a good day, but are better than Southbridge or Webster. I agree with the Lowerdeck. Avoid Southbridge and Webster. If you're looking into Brimfield or Monson, you might also want to consider the Brookfields. Brookfield feeds into Tantasqua (same as Sturbridge, the best of the Brookfield area high schools). East Brookfield feeds into Prouty (Spencer...reminds me a little of Oxford). West Brookfield feeds into Quaboag (Warren...even more rural),, N Brookfield is off the beaten path and has it's own small school system (K-12). Housing stock in the Brookfields will be limited, but it's worih looking into.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:09 AM

I just need to state this for the record: if you did NOT need the schools, then there are parts of Southbridge and Webster which are ok. But due to the bad areas, I wouldn't recommend them with kids - if an education is really important. Typical old mill town poverty issues.

There's plenty of people I know from both towns who graduated high school, went to college, found success afterwards. But it's harder from Webster and Southbridge (as well as anything on I-395 in northeast Connecticut) than other towns.

They're certainly not hellholes, but there's not much going in their favor.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:33 AM

131 posts, read 410,608 times
The schools are what is most important to us. Right now we are in a nice section of Lowell. I have lived in this house for most of my life, and really love my street/neighborhood....it's just the schools that are prompting us to move. If you walk 5 or 6 blocks away, it starts to get a little seedy...and the further you go, the worse it gets. That sounds like the deal with Webster/Southbridge as well.

DH works in Groton now. When we move, it would be easiest to stay close so he would not have to transfer, but I can't find much in our range unless we want Lowell or Fitchburg (and we DON'T). I am going to school in Lowell (community college), and when we move I will be ready to transfer to a 4 yr school...but where I go will depend on where we move. (Framingham State, Salem State, Worcester State, UMass Amherst) Is there anything around with a reasonable commute to Groton AND one of those colleges for 170K? Geez...it really seems tough!!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 AM

Perhaps something north of Worcester along Route 2 or 190. I wouldn't be looking south or that far west.

The few times I've been to Shirley, it seems like a quiet little town. Whatever schools they use could not be nearly as bad as Lowell's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts