Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 16,850 times

Advertisements

Need some advice on different areas in quincy. We are a couple in our mid twenties (living in southie now) looking to get away from the city but not be too far away. Looking to be in walking distance of the red line so we are thinking north quincy wollaston areas. What would you guys suggest for a area in quincy for a couple in their twenties? are these two areas safe to walk around at night, to and from the T? how about the montclair area, what is that like?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:06 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almarques7 View Post
Need some advice on different areas in quincy. We are a couple in our mid twenties (living in southie now) looking to get away from the city but not be too far away. Looking to be in walking distance of the red line so we are thinking north quincy wollaston areas. What would you guys suggest for a area in quincy for a couple in their twenties? are these two areas safe to walk around at night, to and from the T? how about the montclair area, what is that like?

Thanks
I'd say Wollaston is preferable to N. Quincy as far as a more suburban feel and only one stop further out on the red line.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
^What s/he said.
Wollaston is a larger and decidedly more walkable section of the city than is North Quincy. Whenever I make my occasional foray out there for good eats at Fuji on Hancock St, I enjoy ambling along the side streets east of Hancock and around Eastern Nazarene College. They're all so shady and peaceful. Yet you have the easy Red Line access AND are close to the beach. And if you're still inclined to rock out from time to time, the clubs along Quincy Shore Dr come alive once it gets warm outside. Plus there's Marina Bay not too far up the road, where things really jump when summer rolls around.

Unless you're firmly fixated on Quincy, a tranquil yet convenient neighborhood within Boston is the "OTB" (Over the Bridge) section of Dorchester's Savin Hill. You'd leave the noise and density of South Boston behind AND have one of my favorite breakfast places (McKenna's) to enjoy. Red Line station? Check. Places to eat and hang out at night? Done. (The Banshee Pub, Indian and Vietnamese restaurants among others.) Major shopping? All set. (Shaw's by JFK/UMass Station, big-box stores at South Bay Center.)

I lived in Quincy (Adams Shore) and have known numerous folks who hail from there, yet have never heard mention of a neighborhood called Montclair.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:09 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,293 times
Montclair is west of Newport Avenue between N. Quincy and Wollaston. Montclair Elementary is one of the public schools in town. There have been a number of late-night muggings in that area, targeting people coming home from the Red Line. But historically it has been a safe neighborhood, and hopefully they'll catch the handful of criminals causing the trouble.

I agree with goyguy; the area between Hancock and the beach is nice.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:41 PM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times
Either one, to tell you the truth Wollaston overall does have a little more of a "suburban" feel to it than either North Quincy or Montclair, but there are definitely pockets of suburbia in both the latter two. Part of Montclair abuts East Milton, which has historically been a very safe area.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:03 AM

779 posts, read 876,560 times
I admittedly don't know Wollaston very well, so that might be your best bet, but wanted to throw Quincy Center out as an option. I feel like there are some good restaurants at Quincy Center (I still make the drive from Norwell to Kagawa because I love their sushi). It's obviously farther down the red line, but I feel like everything you need is concentrated in one area.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I admittedly don't know Wollaston very well, so that might be your best bet, but wanted to throw Quincy Center out as an option. I feel like there are some good restaurants at Quincy Center (I still make the drive from Norwell to Kagawa because I love their sushi). It's obviously farther down the red line, but I feel like everything you need is concentrated in one area.
Quincy Center is more urban and comes with the extra crime/blight/riff-raff nearby. There are a few nice streets on the fringe and wouldn't rule it out completely, but despite it's urban conveniences I don't consider it to be a desirable living area like Wollaston or even N. Quincy.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:29 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Keep in mind that quincy center used to be big...pre internet..pre malls...pre highways. They are going to do that one billion dollar project so I think it's hard to judge it on what it will be later.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:40 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Default Wollaston

I'd say Wollaston, Close to the beach and there's a "T" Stop there.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 20,316 times
I think there are more choices to live surrounding the Wollaston area. But both North Quincy and Wollaston are safe to walk at night. It's particularly nice in the summer when you can go for walks by the Wollaston beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts