Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:16 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times

Advertisements

Inman Square is a dive-bar graveyard. Inn Square Men's Bar? Now a coffee shop (at least it's locally-owned.) Ryles? Yuppified and now the site of salsa nights and the like. And, worst of all, one of the last punk-rock havens: The Abbey Lounge? The black exterior remains intact, but its reincarnated form is the "Starlite," with every clichéd hipster affect and patrons to match.
But the scene's somewhat better along Mass. Ave. between Harvard and Central Squares. Jack's may be a burnt-down distant memory - replaced by a condo building - but the Plough & Stars is doing and looking great as are People's Republik (nee Drumlin's) and the good ol' Cantab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 12:29 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I forgot about the Inn Square Bar. A bowling alley-shaped room where you had to step on the musicians to get to the bathroom.
Ah, the Cantab. Ancient dried-up "perfume for ten cents" dispensers in the bathroom. One of the few places where you saw black and white people in equal proportions (I mean the upstairs room, not the downstairs). Little Joe, forcing his fading falsetto one more time.
One of the all-time great dives.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 AM

190 posts, read 202,106 times
Jonathan Swifts in Harvard Sq had great blues bands, but the sight lines around the poles could get awkward. Jacks in Cabridge between Harvard and Cental Sq was tiny but great rock bands. Harvard sq House of Blues had lots of wonderful authentic bluesmen (in contrast to the HOB on Landsdowne st). As far as the scene nowadays, Johnny Ds in Somerville, Toad, Atwoods, Lizard Lounge in Cambridge have vibrant music communities.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 PM

91 posts, read 330,177 times
I also have a soft spot for Uncle Sam's on Nantasket Beach. I once saw Cheap Trick there. How about Mr. C's Rock Palace in Lowell.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riblue View Post
As far as the scene nowadays, Johnny Ds in Somerville, Toad, Atwoods, Lizard Lounge in Cambridge have vibrant music communities.
Fans of folk and bluegrass are also kept content at Sally O'Brien's in Somerville's Union Square. But jazz afficionados are mourning Tinker's, the Skycaps, and...that dive on Tremont St in Lower Roxbury with the Irish "H" name that I can't remember. A friend with a true ear for the genre despises the yuppified Beehive. At least we've got Scullers and will hopefully always have Wally's.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 PM

53 posts, read 199,247 times
I believe Harper's Ferry is still around, no? You want to go way back? How about Tony C's in Nahant, Bunratys in Brighton, Bill's Bar on Landsdown. How about Discos? In Boston.. Club Max, Max on the Waterfront, Jason's, Yesterdays, Lucifer's?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:58 AM

64 posts, read 159,702 times
They closed Harper's Ferry?! I tellya, you move out of the neighborhood...
Quest became Sophia's and that's gone too now. Was the first latin place I remember when the salsa/latin craze was just starting.

The Good Life downtown was great... as was The Good Life in Central Sq, but "yuppified" as you say. And I do remember Bill's Bar: it was the first place I went to when I was on the "guest list" but "not drinking" so that I could get in without an ID. I was 16. You could do that back then...

Old 03-06-2011, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,982 times
Does anyone remember the Linwood? It was located on the Fenway area of Boston and i saw some great shows there. It is now a venue called Church. Though I Miss the Linwood I saw a show at Church the other night put on by F Nice Records. Due to some of the Best clubs closing in Boston the Night life has been suffering hard. We lost Harpers Ferry in Allston just past year and no one will ever replace the Rat. Also, has anyone been to McGanns lately? They revamped there music selection and that same company F Nice has been putting on local music shows there. F Nice Records seems to book at some cool venues though and you can get tickets at there site [url=http://fnicerecords.com]F Nice Records - Boston Booking, Recording, Promotions, and Merchandise[/url].

Whose is putting on good shows in Cambridge?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheina Maydela View Post
And I do remember Bill's Bar: it was the first place I went to when I was on the "guest list" but "not drinking" so that I could get in without an ID. I was 16. You could do that back then...
...and that must've been way back when they were on Mass. Ave opposite Berklee. Not being ageist, just sayin'. Little was the same once they'd moved onto Lansdowne St except for some of the original signage. When they got to Lansdowne they were pretty much all about reggae.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,859 times
is this still active?

re jacks mass ave....SPEAKEASY.....
please confirm activity.

best listening...re throwing muses

geo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts