Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,976 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I love the idea of this website and now find myself hoping to get some quality information from you!

There is a possibility I may be taking a job in the southwest area of Cape Cod, and am curious about the areas in and around the cape as far as commute into/out of the cape, neighborhoods, culture, people, etc. I am a 26 year old guy and have never been to this area before... but what I am used to is mid-size city living, such as Akron, OH and Rochester, NY, and as such have grown to love the level of different restaurants, music clubs, and parks that accompany these kinds of areas. Would any of you be able to suggest areas to research that have similar atmospheres?

I should clarify this is a hypothetical situation at the moment, but just want to have some ideas in place. My income would be approximately $50k, and I have a dog.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 07:01 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times
I don't know the towns on Cape Cod well enough to know which would be good fits for people looking for places to live year-round, but I will tell you that it's going to be a challenge to find mid-sized city living, depending on how long a commute you can handle. The closest city similar in size to the examples you listed is Providence. From Providence it's probably about an hour's drive--possibly more during times of heavy traffic--just to reach the beginning of the Cape. Then you'd have whatever local drive there would be to your workplace on top of that. If you're willing to make this commute, Providence is the first place I think you'll want to look. Otherwise, you'll need to seek info on small towns with at least a certain amount of nightlife, shopping, etc., as there are no real cities any closer than Providence to Cape Cod.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the reply! That is kind of what I was figuring. I know the place I would be is right in the Falmouth area, so pretty early on in commuting into the cape. Is anyone familiar with these towns/areas??

Old 02-14-2011, 07:56 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,361,251 times
Falmouth is a year round town. Lots of restaurants, stores and bars with entertainment (relatively speaking- this is the Cape). When I first read your post I was going to suggest, Falmouth, Hyannis or off Cape to Plymouth. None of them are cities but they do have all that you mentioned.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:03 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,371,397 times
We just moved to the Mashpee area and I'm not able to answer your questions re night life because we're a lot older but google theislandmerchant and britishbeer. The people we've met so far have all been wonderful! Everyone knows who you are but they'll leave you alone. Perfect! The restaurants are great and reasonably priced, there's walking and biking paths everywhere, not to mention the ocean. I don't think you'll be disappointed once you come here and visit. An added plus is right now we have no snow on the ground while the rest of MA is blanketed.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
We just moved to the Mashpee area and I'm not able to answer your questions re night life because we're a lot older but google theislandmerchant and britishbeer. The people we've met so far have all been wonderful! Everyone knows who you are but they'll leave you alone. Perfect! The restaurants are great and reasonably priced, there's walking and biking paths everywhere, not to mention the ocean. I don't think you'll be disappointed once you come here and visit. An added plus is right now we have no snow on the ground while the rest of MA is blanketed.
Glad you like the area ipoetry. Curious what restaurants you found that were great and reasonable. We are pretty picky and for "great" we've only found The Ocean House, Impudent Oyster and Ella's (allthe way over in Wareham LOL) that are also a good value. We also like the Wequassett but that's for anniversary's that end in 0 or 5. LOL

And SHHHHH about the snow. We don't want to jinx our good fortune thus far. Those late winter/early spring storms are horrible.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:51 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,371,397 times
Hi Beachcomber. I hear you about the SHHHH on the snow. We're trying to do things cheap because we're waiting for a house to be built and we've found Siena in Mashpee Commons to have some good winter specials. Bobby Byrnes is fun and Wicked has a great burger made from grass fed beef. The Regatta was a splurge, it was a special occasion, and it was indescribable. I will put The Ocean House, Impudent Oyster and Ellas on our list of to-do. Moonakis for breakfast was very good.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the info. We've been meaning to try Siena but we have Amari in the neighborhood so if we're in the mood for Italian we go there, it's very good but the food can be heavy. They do have some good seafood dishes- fire roasted cod and the pan seared tuna steak which are lighter but still.... I will also put Wicked on the list to try as well. In summer if we are over that way we end up at The Raw Bar for lobster rolls. Check out WCOD on Friday mornings. They sell half price restaurant gift certificates on their website. We recently bought one for Colombo's. We had never tried it and were pleasantly surprised. We just had salads for lunch but they were good. It was a Tuesday afternoon and they were packed! Another good spot also in Hyannis is EmBargo. It's all tapas and they do 1/2 price on Tuesdays. Great way to try something new. Right down the street is the Brazilian Grille. My kids love it. It's a meatlovers dream but the cold buffet satisfies my need for something that doesn't moo, cluck or oink. Good luck with the house building!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 AM

thanks for the information here all of you. Back on track though...

So, within these areas, what is the renting situation like? lots of choices? I have no intention of purchasing property in this area.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 AM

I inferred from your post you would be rentings so the areas I mentioned Falmouth, Hyannis and Plymouth will all have a decent variety of options for rentals. Apartments, condos and free standing homes- the only caveat will be which ones allow dogs. The Cape as a whole is very dog friendly. I would think Plymouth and Hyannis would offer the least expensive options. The tradeoff is COL will be cheaper off Cape as there are more options in regard to grocery stores, gas is cheaper etc. That might not translate to a great savings for a single person however as you would have a longer commute.

Last edited by Beachcomber4; 02-15-2011 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts