Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:10 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

Fitchburg thats the name i was looking for it's right along route 2

A lot of Fitchburg is *very seedy* and druga-addicted and crime-full. There are some parts where the houses are nice, but the schools and students are very very poor. I'd never live there unless my kid was going to go to private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 01:51 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Fitchburg thats the name i was looking for it's right along route 2

A lot of Fitchburg is *very seedy* and druga-addicted and crime-full. There are some parts where the houses are nice, but the schools and students are very very poor. I'd never live there unless my kid was going to go to private school.
But he currently lives in Lynn, so he's already used to that.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,966 times
Default Sturbridge

I currently live right outside of Sturbridge and often make the commute between both Amherst and Boston. As far as public transportation to Amherst, there really is no good options. Maybe your wife will want to drive that portion and you can work out something with public transportation into Boston?

The drive from Sturbridge to Amherst is almost exactly an hour and the drive from Sturbridge to Boston is almost exactly the same. Another good option might be to drive from Sturbridge in towards Boston and then grab one of the more local trains. That'll cut down on both the cost and travel times.

I've rarely seen any major traffic issues going from the Sturbridge area towards Amherst.

Plus Sturbridge is a big step up from Fitchburg in my eyes.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:08 PM

20 posts, read 158,128 times
Something here just doesn't make a lick of sense. beeplove, do you really know how far it is between Amherst and the North End? Sorry, but I think you must be putting us on. It's not that you can't get there from where you are, it's just you will be spending an incredible amount of your life "on the road" and, for what? Cripes, there are LOTS of nursing programs in the Commonwealth and many, if not most, are a heck of a lot closer to Boston! Even Fitchburg has a program. But, Amherst? Have you ever heard of something called "winter" that is often known to have something like snow, sleet and ice? Now, if you happen to know Jane Swift, maybe you can convince the State Police to helicopter you to and fro... Sorry, couldn't resist.
Get real my man!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:55 AM

7 posts, read 25,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
But he currently lives in Lynn, so he's already used to that.
My daugher hasn't started elementary school yet

Old 08-09-2007, 05:14 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Here's a radical idea. If you add up what you'd be spending in gas or public transit to Boston and Amherst, your wife could rent a studio apt for probably the same money and hopefully arrange her classes so that she'd only be gone about 3 nights a week.

Next step though would be to get out of Lynn.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:10 AM

Basically here are my choices, I guess
any city between Lemonster and Amherst or
a city between Worcester and Amherst

I guess, I-90 is better than route 2, either I drive all the way to Boston or to Worcester to take train.

Sounds like Sturbridge or any other city towards Amherest is my next destination. As my dauther would start elementary school from next year, good schood district would also be a factor when I will pick a city.

Would you please name few good school cities between Amherst and Sturbridge?

Thanks everybody for your kind responses.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:19 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Wow, so I guess you're set on this. When I was considering this, I decided against it since it would've been 10 hours at the office and 4 hours commuting - that would've left maybe 1 hour at most w/my daughter each day before her bedtime, and no time w/my wife. Also at today's gas prices, you'd be looking at about $12 in gas for the 100 mile round trip commute plus I think $6.40 for the tolls and about $300/mo for parking in the city, which is over $8000 a year just in commuting expenses, not including all the maintenance for wear and tear on the car. If you decide to go this route, I would definitely recommend taking the commuter rail! Taking commuter rail will only cost about $3000 a year for the pass plus parking.

But back to your question, the only decent school districts I know of in the area are Grafton or Shrewsbury. Central Mass isn't really known for its schools.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:25 AM

If I choose, Leominster, what are the good school city between Amherst and Leominster?

I see New Salem, Orange, Athol, Gardner in that route on the map?
Are these good school city?

Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts