Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:04 AM

158 posts, read 371,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Hispanics boost state population
Monday, March 28, 2011
SPRINGFIELD - Last week the U.S. Census Bureau numbers revealed Hispanics make up 10 percent of the state's total population and had grown to 15 percent of Western Massachusetts population.
"All you have to do is walk down the streets of the city to see that Latinos make up a large portion of our population," said Springfield City Councilor and candidate for mayor Jose F. Tosado.

~
D'Vera Cohn, senior writer for the Pew Research Center, said Massachusetts is one of only six states in the country to attribute all of its growth to the Hispanic population. "In these six states, which include Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island, growth in the Hispanic population accounted for all of those states' population growth. Basically, if the Hispanic population had not grown, those states would not have grown," she said.

~
"We are certainly very conscious of the fact that the large number of Latinos in this area have helped us maintain the grants and aid we need to keep the city moving forward," said Mayor Domenic J. Sarno. He said the city has recently had some major changes in government that reflect the city's diverse population.

Hispanics boost state population - MassLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Unfortunately, this isn't news because there's still a big income gap. Most of the Hispanics in MA live in only certain communities. Those are Springfield, Holyoke, Worcester, Fitchburg, Lynn, Lowell, Lawrence, Chelsea, Southbridge, just to name a few. If they were buying homes in places like Wellesley, Weston, Dover, Sherborn, or Sudbury, that would be news.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:04 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Unfortunately, this isn't news because there's still a big income gap. Most of the Hispanics in MA live in only certain communities. Those are Springfield, Holyoke, Worcester, Fitchburg, Lynn, Lowell, Lawrence, Chelsea, Southbridge, just to name a few. If they were buying homes in places like Wellesley, Weston, Dover, Sherborn, or Sudbury, that would be news.
That's why I would never live in Lowell, Lawrence or any of those places. They are trashy as it gets. I will probably get some negative feedback for that but it is true. Try comparing Sudbury to Lawrence.

Why is it that the higher the Hispanic population in a certain area, the trashier it is?... Hmmm.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:39 PM

303 posts, read 752,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
That's why I would never live in Lowell, Lawrence or any of those places. They are trashy as it gets. I will probably get some negative feedback for that but it is true. Try comparing Sudbury to Lawrence.

Why is it that the higher the Hispanic population in a certain area, the trashier it is?... Hmmm.
So what your saying is we bring down neighborhoods and make them trashy, is that what you are implying?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:37 PM

157 posts, read 617,349 times
Quote:

The higher the lower income in a given area the more litter...It's a lack of general knowledge or lack of ownership in lower income communities really...

Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, etc...Don't matter the race...I've seen this even lower income white communities in NH...

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-30-2011 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: personal

Old 04-01-2011, 04:53 AM

158 posts, read 371,356 times
With closer reading of what this article states I am left concluding that the census is not counting the recent influx of illegal immigrants then. It seems to what us to believe the increases are, for the most part, domestic.

Quote:
Cohn said another interesting finding is that growth was led by American-born Hispanics, not immigrants.

"Research has indicated that most of the growth in the Hispanic population across the nation was due to birth, not immigration," she said. "While immigration is still a substantial force for increasing the population, this time around it has been surpassed by Hispanics born in the country."

Massachusetts population grew from 6,349,097 in 2000 to 6,547,629 in 2010, an increase of 3.1 percent. In Springfield, Hispanic residents helped keep the city's population above 150,000, a cut-off point for a number of federal grants and other aid.

The population of Hispanics in Springfield increased to 59,541, or almost 39 percent of the city's population. That's up from 41,343 in 2000, when Hispanics constituted 27.2 percent of the city's population.
Springfield is now officially 39% Hispanic? That has to rival some cities in Texas and the southwest.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:04 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Really not cool.

100 years ago it was "Why is it that the higher the Italian population in a certain area, the trashier it is?... Hmmm"

150 years ago it was "Why is it that the higher the Irish population in a certain area, the trashier it is?... Hmmm"

Plus ca change...

Old 04-05-2011, 02:03 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1990 View Post
So what your saying is we bring down neighborhoods and make them trashy, is that what you are implying?
I don't think thats what she meant. Lets be honest, MOST cities, towns or neighborhoods that have Black, Spanish or other minority as most of their population tend to be high crime, low income. There plenty of minorities that are doctors and lawyers that make more $$ in a year than I'll make in 5, but thats not from "The Average". Can you think of a good area with Middle- Upper Middle class people good schools, low crime where minorities are the majority of the population? I just had an issue on another thread here, I asked an honest question but because race was involved the mod twisted my words to make ME racist! Everybody is always looking for an argument and on the defensive. There are poor trashy white neighborhoods and rich Black ones, but thats not typical. at least in MA. thats just the states demographic. People are too quick to label a person for speaking their mind. What happened to Freedom of Speech? RIP America!

Old 04-05-2011, 04:08 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
I don't think thats what she meant. Lets be honest, MOST cities, towns or neighborhoods that have Black, Spanish or other minority as most of their population tend to be high crime, low income. There plenty of minorities that are doctors and lawyers that make more $$ in a year than I'll make in 5, but thats not from "The Average". Can you think of a good area with Middle- Upper Middle class people good schools, low crime where minorities are the majority of the population? I just had an issue on another thread here, I asked an honest question but because race was involved the mod twisted my words to make ME racist! Everybody is always looking for an argument and on the defensive. There are poor trashy white neighborhoods and rich Black ones, but thats not typical. at least in MA. thats just the states demographic. People are too quick to label a person for speaking their mind. What happened to Freedom of Speech? RIP America!
There are upscale non-white neighborhoods in America though it may be true there are fewer in Mass. There plenty of, ahem, "trashy" white neighborhoods in Mass. and across the nation.

And since when did freedom of speech mean you get to express your opinions and everyone who thinks they're offensive has to shut up so you won't feel "labeled?" Freedom of speech means EVERYONE says their piece and, if it's contentious, so be it.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:26 PM

415 posts, read 449,730 times
Bottom line: No English = stuck in low-paid jobs=poor neighborhoods=higher crime=a lot of other things that come with it. So the thread title should have been "Do you speak English yet? When will you start?".

Last edited by Wallbanger; 04-05-2011 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts