Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 PM

33 posts, read 207,055 times

Advertisements

I feel like this is kind of silly, but I recently started couponing and am having fun with it, but I don't like spending $6 a week on papers that I don't even read.

I have been getting the Boston Globe ($4) and Metrowest Daily ($2). Is there a less expensive Sunday paper out there? I get two because it seems like they usually have different inserts though this week the Globe had both. It seems like home delivery is actually more expensive, is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
What town do you live in? Walk your neighborhood on the nights before garbage pickup day. Scope out the recycle bins with piles of newspapers. Those will be your neighbors with newspaper subscriptions. Most people don't have the time to read all of their week's newspapers. And that is why many is the time that I've seen the Sunday coupon sections unread and intact in those recycle bins.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Walk your neighborhood on the nights before garbage pickup day. Scope out the recycle bins with piles of newspapers. Those will be your neighbors with newspaper subscriptions. Most people don't have the time to read all of their week's newspapers. And that is why many is the time that I've seen the Sunday coupon sections unread and intact in those recycle bins.

Are you kidding me? Rifle through someone's recyclables for coupons? Where do you live that this is the norm? So glad I don't have curbside pick up.

I have no issue with someone stopping for a large item that is usable and visible but going through papers etc is just wrong.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:59 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I don't got through anyone's personal papers. I only look at solid stacks of newspapers that are in open recycle bins. Many times, someone will fill up a paper grocery bag of only newspapers. A standard format newspaper fits perfectly sideways in a standard supermarket paper grocery bag. And that's the way my mom organizes the newspapers she wants to dispose of. And that's the way I do it also. And frequently the Sunday paper will be entirely intact and unread. If there are any other types of paper mixed in, of course I will avoid that recycle bin altogether.

And if you are paranoid about strangers going through your personal papers, then get a paper shredder.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 PM

368 posts, read 1,388,687 times
I believe that if the trash/recycling bin is on any part of the street or sidewalk it is free game for diving....

Old 04-11-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

And if you are paranoid about strangers going through your personal papers, then get a paper shredder.
How do you know that it's only newspapers without going through it. Give me a break.

Not paranoid at all and I do shred/burn.

If I have something I want to give away, I do. If I want to throw away or recycle something I put it in it's proper place. The way people are today, someone could get a paper cut on a newspaper and sue the homeowner for the medical bills because the coupons in their recycle bin were an attractive nuisance.

Last edited by Beachcomber4; 04-11-2011 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandD View Post
I believe that if the trash/recycling bin is on any part of the street or sidewalk it is free game for diving....

Have we met? - kidding

When I was moving I had some arrogant %$@$ dumpster diving IN MY DRIVEWAY. I had put out all sorts of stuff on the sidewalk for free but this jerk went into the dumpster on my private property. I had to call the police because he wouldn't get out. He told me that without a NO TRESPASSING sign he was free to go anywhere he wanted even though I warned him it was full of glass- which he knew because the sound of it smashing was what alerted me to the fact that someone was out in my dumpster. Police came and he claimed I was a "snob". If not wanting someone to sever and artery and bleed out in my driveway makes me a snob, so be it.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:34 PM

33 posts, read 207,055 times
There is no curbside pickup within walking distance of my apartment, and to be honest I'd rather not go through recyling bins for the inserts, though I know it is common practice among serious couponers.

Any other ideas?

Old 04-12-2011, 04:37 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abostonmama View Post
There is no curbside pickup within walking distance of my apartment, and to be honest I'd rather not go through recyling bins for the inserts, though I know it is common practice among serious couponers.

Any other ideas?
Coupon clipping services...

Old 04-12-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abostonmama View Post

Any other ideas?
I saw a story on a new app for the droid and soon for the iphone that maps out a store, finds manufacturer's coupons and then applies them to your store loyalty card. I am not sure which stores are doing this but it sounds promising and it would make sense to go to paperless coupons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts