Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,789 times

Advertisements

I'm a high school junior from Virginia, and I'm interested in completing my education in Massachusetts. I'm a partial IB candidate ( I found that I had made a bad decision in choosing some of my courses, and was not able to handle them, therefore I have decided not to pursue the full diploma), my grades are all A's in non IB classes and A/B/C in my IB classes. My grades last year were mostly A/ some B. There are great schools in Virginia, but I feel like staying in this state is suffocating me. I'm interested in pursuing international law. I would like recommendations for colleges that offer a program eligible for me, and hopefully within a 'reasonable' price range. I don't think UMass has any programs that are suitable for what I want to go into, but Boston U (my ideal school) has a high price tag and I'm not certain of my chances of getting in. Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 03:44 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
I'm not familiar with the term "partial IB." I don't know whether that's because it's a term not used in MA, or because I don't have children, so I'm unfamiliar with some of the education lingo. The question, then, is whether this status means something in terms of your eligibility for all colleges.

Assuming you're college-eligible, you'll need to face the reality that most private colleges are very expensive. It might be important not only to consider the programs the schools have, but also the financial aid they might make available. It sounds as if your grades are solid, so I'm thinking you might want to look into what schools might offer scholarships.

Another question is why you're looking at MA in particular, other than the number of colleges here. Or is the number of colleges to choose from the main reason? I'm asking so as to get some feel for whether MA would be a good fit for you at this time. Keep in mind that if you went to a state college here, you might still end up paying non-resident tuition after moving here, depending on your living arrangements. The non-resident rates at MA state colleges are not much of a bargain compared to resident costs in most states, or even many states' non-resident costs. Also, if you live off campus, you have to keep in mind that housing costs in much of MA are high.

The above observations were not meant to discourage you, but to make sure you have information you need in order to make a wise choice about moving here. As for the fact that you've found that UMass does not have a program related to your intended field, I don't know what the various schools offer in that field, but have you checked all the UMass campuses, or just Amherst? Keep in mind that there are three other undergraduate campuses of UMass besides Amherst.

What are you looking for in a college besides a particular major? What colleges in VA would you consider if you stayed there? Knowing that might help people think of similar schools here.

Also, I'm unfamiliar with the particulars of education in Intl. Law. How flexible can you be with choice of majors? Does it have to be a major in Intl. Law per se? If so, and if you don't see what you want at public colleges here, and if you've determined that MA really is the state where you should attend college, you may want to research what private colleges have to offer, both in the way of majors that would suit your needs and in terms of financial aid.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:12 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
I have 2 teenage sons, my advice is to listen to your parents.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
First of all, to get a job in the field you want would require a JD. For that you could complete basically any non-technical undergraduate program - they don't care that much about undergrad school or most courses, and care nothing about high school.

Whichever college you end up at will tell you the required courses for pre-law. It's good to get an undergrad degree that will allow you to get some kind of job with just that degree, because law degrees are pretty much worthless unless you go to a very reputable law school.

As for cost, go for the scholarship. Apply to a wide range of schools, don't just try the first college to send you a cool-looking brochure. Some very pricey schools will offer a good-sized financial aid grant for whatever reason (I got one because they had a Christian quota at a Jewish university). Nobody can afford college without financial aid, so the cost of the college is irrelevant - it's the amount you have to pay back in loans that's important. So you want a big scholarship or grant, with as small an amount for loans as possible. Your parents probably won't help you pay your loans off after you graduate.

The only person I've ever known to go for International Law was a student from Bulgaria. She was in Seattle, attending community college first in order to save money - then she was going on to the University of Washington nearby. Remember that MA isn't the only state far from home!

Old 05-29-2011, 02:36 AM

I meant to say that "they don't care that much about what your major is or the particular courses, but you must get very good grades to get into a good law school..."

Also you should participate in many extracurricular activities, the best law schools want a well-rounded person.

Let me emphasize that while many lower-ranking law schools are eager to get as many students as possible regardless of grades (because they can collect the tuition money even if you flunk out), diplomas from those law schools are about as valuable as toilet paper. If you're lucky, you might get a part time job filling out forms in the basement of a law firm along with dozens of other similar grunt workers, for a low pay that won't allow for a decent apartment, good clothes, and food in a large city.

Last edited by Woof; 05-29-2011 at 02:46 AM..

Old 05-29-2011, 05:42 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
You might want to check out Northeastern University, right in the heart of Boston. They offer a co-op plan where you take 5 years to get your degree while taking classes for several months then working in a co-op job for several months. My grand daughter is a student there at the present time, having completed her freshman and sophmore years she will be doing her co-op job starting in July. I believe you can get much information about this school on line. Her major is history and minor of business. Boston is a great city.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:10 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I don't think a whole state can suffocate someone, especially when Univ. of Virginia is is the flagship school (unless you live in C-ville now). A feeling of suffocation might come a lot more from one's family or town (I speak from experience. Imagine my surprise when I found out that there was nothing overly wrong with south Jersey as a whole).
Private college in Mass. is wildly expensive. Out-of-state tuition is among the highest in the country for state schools.
If interested in international law, an undergraduate major in something related to international studies would be best, rather than messing around in English or philosophy or something (and then changing your mind about law school).
If you go to a state school as affordable as possible (like in Virginia), you should SHINE and come out number one- and then law or grad schools will be fighting to give you money for your advanced degree. Trust me on this one. Best wishes.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:20 AM

234 posts, read 629,096 times
I was where you are 13 years ago- my situation was somewhat similar. I lived in the Cville area, had A's and B's, took AP courses but didn't pass all of the exams. I was nominated for a Jefferson Scholarship (full ride) to UVA, but didn't finish the process after I found out I got in to BU early admission and got a big grant (my mom apparently didn't realize I didn't finish the UVA admissions process until this year- woops!). I didn't want to go to school in VA either.

I went for a very different major (arts), but BU is a great school. I also have very close ties to Northeastern and recommend it as well, though admissions has become a lot more competitive over the years. A friend of mine went there for law.

This might be the key for you:

- Many "expensive" private colleges could be more affordable for you than "cheaper" schools depending on your financial situation, academic record, and how much financial aid the school gives out. There are usually lists out about which schools give out the most aid and are therefore "affordable" even though they have high price tags, so check that out. Here's one: 63 Colleges With the Best Financial Aid - CBS MoneyWatch.com

- Find schools here that you think are attainable for you academically.

- Find something with your desired major- of course! There are a lot of law programs here, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with everything! I totally understand wanting to get out of VA even though there are a lot of great schools there. I was one of probably 4-6 people from my graduating class who went to school out of state. FYI- I'm still in the Boston area

Old 05-30-2011, 12:37 PM

He'd have to take pre-law courses, but that's not a major. He could, for example, take English as a major but would also have to take the pre-law list of courses, mostly as electives. Same thing as for med school.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 PM

234 posts, read 629,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
He'd have to take pre-law courses, but that's not a major. He could, for example, take English as a major but would also have to take the pre-law list of courses, mostly as electives. Same thing as for med school.
Wouldn't hurt to be in a school with a good law program, though, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts