Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 PM

11 posts, read 18,405 times

Advertisements

Hi there... My husband and I are looking to move up to New England from Ny and I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice. We are focused to Massachucetts and CT but are open to NH as well. I would really like to be in a place witha "small town" feel but not miles away from stores and neighbors. Ideally we would like to stay under 4 hours from NY since our family will be staying here. We have 2 small children so schools are important as well as a young family type community. I am so sick of NY, the people, the cost of living along with many other things. I know this is way too specific but I am throwing ot out there... I would love the kind of town where there are holiday parades, tree lighting at Christmas and carolers... is this even possible in real life?? haha... We would like to stay under $300,000 if possible also. Any help would be greatly appreciated. So far the towns I have listed are: Marlborough, MA, Portland, CT, New Hartford, CT and Merrimack, NH. please help! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 06:31 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Not sure you can find what you are looking for in CT, Eastern MA or Southern NH for under $300K but if you use the Search function towards the top of the page that will get you started.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:54 AM

325 posts, read 925,115 times
(I think Marlboro, MA is kind of blah).

Beware of higher property taxes in CT (compared to MA). I'd look at Northampton, MA. It's a lively, artsy, vibrant downtown yet with a small town feel. Easy bus ride to NYC (doable day trip) , also new high speed rail is planned. Good schools, lots of stuff for families - bike paths, Look Park, nearby hiking. You will find a few NY transplants here.

I think to stay under $300K, you will need to look in western MA.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:03 AM

244 posts, read 573,091 times
In regards to staying under $300K...everything is negotiable. So, if you do a search, look at $325K or so...or you can find some good deals if you are into updating, remodeling/flipping a house.
We are looking to move up there and the areas I'm looking in the houses average about $450K (find Walpole and draw a circle from that town northwestward to about Rt. 2 and that is the area we are looking at...that line and out, but still on commuter rail.
NH had some nicer houses (Lincoln I think?) but was still a commute into the city...
Have you thought about moving South to PA or MD? We are only 4 hours from NY, it's a bit cheaper and tons of places have that small town feel in the mid-atlantic! Plus, our winters are a bit shorter than your...though summers are hot and humid. But, I hear Boston was up to 104 last week and so were we in the nations capital....
Good luck! It's not an easy decision!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:11 AM

925 posts, read 2,742,964 times
How about Berlin, MA? MUCH more of a small town feel Marlboro, which is more of a city. Berlin is small and pretty, but also nearby a large mall & major highways. They won a recognition as "Best Schools for the Buck" a few years ago from Boston Magazine.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:07 AM

324 posts, read 1,090,005 times
I like the Northhampton idea. Or Amherst? You'd be much closer to NYC than if you were closer to Boston. I'm curious why Merrimack NH interests you as it's going to be closer to 5 hours to NYC. I'd be more inclined to look in Brattleboro VT which should be less than 4 hours and is a fun town.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 AM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
(I think Marlboro, MA is kind of blah).

Beware of higher property taxes in CT (compared to MA). I'd look at Northampton, MA. It's a lively, artsy, vibrant downtown yet with a small town feel. Easy bus ride to NYC (doable day trip) , also new high speed rail is planned. Good schools, lots of stuff for families - bike paths, Look Park, nearby hiking. You will find a few NY transplants here.

I think to stay under $300K, you will need to look in western MA.
I was going to say, Western Mass. would be the best bet. Besides that, Upstate NY would definitely work.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,619 times
Cool Welcome to Carver MA

Please take a look at Carver, MA Pop < 15000
45 Minutes from Boston, 5 Minutes from Plymouth, Avg Home $250,000
Avg RE Tax $3800

Acres and Acres of Cranberry Bogs

Old 07-27-2011, 11:00 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
Carver is very nice, but more than 4 hours to NY, if you count traffic. I might check out the Southcoast of MA and possibly around Providence, RI?

Old 07-27-2011, 03:27 PM

11 posts, read 18,405 times
Wow thank you all so much for your responses. I will look into all of the towns suggested! I came upon marlborough because I did a search for best places to raise a family and that came up number 1 in Mass., and Merrimack #1 in NH. Im so confused, people keep telling me not to move to MA because people from there don't like New Yorkers but eveytime we go there, the people are so nice. I know under $300,00 is hard to come by, We could go up to 325,00 but that is really the max. I just want a nice place for my kids to grow up and NY, where I live, has changes too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts