Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 07:04 PM

313 posts, read 728,416 times

Advertisements

When I visited here a few years ago with my sister, we were headed down to Cape Cod from Boston. Following a sign on the side of the highway that caught our eye, we found a beach. I think it was a State beach. The parking lot was above, and to get to it you had to go down a very long staircase which basically descended a cliff. The beach was gorgeous!

Now I live here and I can't find the beach, and I don't recall the name of it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It had to be off Hwy 3 because that's the route we took.

Thanks for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 08:22 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,998,091 times
Could be Scusset Beach:
Scusset Beach State Reservation

Old 08-02-2011, 08:34 AM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
You said you went down to Cape Cod? Was the beach ON Cape Cod (did you cross one of the big bridges over the big canal)? Route 3 turns into 6 right at the canal (just before you cross the Sagamore Bridge).

When It think of parking lots high above the beach and steep walks down (though stairs don't ring a bell), I think of the Cape Cod National Seashore. Check out Cahoon Hollow Beach in Wellfleet. The beach itself is gorgeous with tall, steep dunes and an unbroken, unspoiled sandy coastline as far as the eye can see. At the top of the dune (in the parking lot), you have the Beachcomber. A wonderful beachside bar and restaurant. It is, in my opinion, the perfect beach.

However, if you never made it onto Cape Cod, there are a number of beaches it could be. If it was rocky, White Horse Beach in Plymouth comes to mind. It may also be Scusset Beach. Scusset is sandier and has a huge breakwater at the Southern End.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,998,091 times
My money's on Scusset, Irfox. There's a steep staircase leading to it from a small parking lot in Sagamore Beach, and you can reach it from many other points off Rte 3.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:18 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Not sure where this beach was but I'm with Irfox. As far as I'm concerned beaches on Cape Cod don't get any better than Wellfleet. Sand Bluff cliffs on the the Atllantic and level sand dunes on the Bay side with calm water. I see seals every time I go there. I watched sunrise from Marconi Beach. It was divine.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
My money's on Scusset, Irfox. There's a steep staircase leading to it from a small parking lot in Sagamore Beach, and you can reach it from many other points off Rte 3.
The more I think about it, the more I think you're right.

I would suggest taking the drive to Wellfleet for Cahoon Hollow. Actually, any of the National Seashore would be pretty cool. It's just nice to have the Beachcomber there.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think you're right.

I would suggest taking the drive to Wellfleet for Cahoon Hollow. Actually, any of the National Seashore would be pretty cool. It's just nice to have the Beachcomber there.
Oh thanks so much.....oh wait you meant the bar didn't you.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:15 PM

313 posts, read 728,416 times
Default Thanks

I remember the stairs specifically, because my sister had hip arthritis and we had to take it slow going down. We would never have tried to tackle a steep path like that. This was concrete stairs.
We were staying in Cape Cod that trip, in Harwichport, so yes we made it all the way down.

I will check out all those beaches. What a tough assignment... LOL Thanks!!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Oh thanks so much.....oh wait you meant the bar didn't you.
Yeah, the bar is nice too!

I can't believe how long it took me to get what you meant. I'm a little slow tonight.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind15 View Post
I remember the stairs specifically, because my sister had hip arthritis and we had to take it slow going down. ......
Just a word of caution. The beaches on Cape Cod are very "active" in regard erosion and movement of sand. What you saw a few years ago may simply no longer exist in the form you remembered it.

Since living in Wellfleet (+20 years) we've lost around fifty foot of beach parking lot on some of our Seashore beaches (Newcomb's in particular). Sometimes we've had wooden stairways leading from the parking lot to the beach, some years not.

Just a thought.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts