Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baruchel23 View Post
It's not fear mongering, it's the truth. My parents own a business and have been robbed four times. The police weren't there to stop the criminals.
If your parents own a business, then they are able to apply for a gun permit... if you really think that will stop the robberies and keep them safer. But much better to be robbed of goods, than ones life or good life. Robbers have weapons and usually plan ahead so that they can outman and outmaneuver the location they plan to rob. And if your dad pulls out a gun during a robbery attempt, then the robbers will be more likely to use their weapons first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 05:45 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What about turning it into Maine or Vermont? Both of whom have the most lenient gun laws in the US, yet 2 of the lowest murder rates! Go figure. At least here in MA the criminals get to carry
Maine and Vermont have much lower populations and urban areas. If you misfire a gun up there, it's not likely you will hit an innocent person. Not so in states like MA or in a city.

And if criminals have guns, it's because that have it illegally... and that is not only a MA occurrence.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Maine and Vermont have much lower populations and urban areas. If you misfire a gun up there, it's not likely you will hit an innocent person. Not so in states like MA or in a city.
That is a ridiculous statement.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 AM

278 posts, read 703,273 times
Well this thread predictably turned into a **** show.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:01 AM

137 posts, read 239,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT View Post
One of the main reason for me to relocate out of Canada is because a normal citizen MUST remain DEFENSELESS to muggings,home invasions,robberies ect.while the sub-humans are somehow well armed.
Wait...why would you need a gun for self-defense in Canada? I thought you didn't have crime up there...

Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 AM

119 posts, read 379,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling357 View Post
Wait...I thought you didn't have crime up there...

(sarca stically)

Canada is a illusion and locals here are totally delusional about everything... Please Take the time to scan the Toronto,Montreal and Vancouver newspapers or tv streams and you will see that same type of trash that are responsible for all the mayhem in the states is present here also.At least Americans have the options of defending themselves if they so chose,here you MUST wait for the pigs to show up in order to be protected.And again all the locals here think it is perfectly orderly to live like that!

Old 09-02-2011, 04:14 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT View Post
One of the main reason for me to relocate out of Canada is because a normal citizen MUST remain DEFENSELESS to muggings,home invasions,robberies ect.while the sub-humans are somehow well armed.
It must be terrible to live in such fear of your life. How many close calls have you had?

And I wouldn't recommend that you move to Massachusetts then. Bye!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 PM

88 posts, read 189,861 times
miu;
There is enough proof of violent crime not only in Mass. but around the country to warrant persons keep and carry a firearm if they so desire. Need proof - look to your south - Conneticut and read the full story of the home invasion that lead to the homicide of a mother and her two daughters - The two animals that did this burned the two daughters alive. The father got away but was beaten. They had telephones but never had an opportunity to dial 911. Given the circumstances and the fact they lived in an upscale, "safe" community. In hindsight, I think the father would have chosen a firearm over a telephone.

The right to possess and carry firearms is protected under the 2nd. Amendment of the United States Constitution. It is not a privilege - it is a Right. It was recognized by the framers of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and cannot be abridged.

Many antigun advocates have tried to distort and subvert the 2nd. Amendment of the Bill of Rights without any success. If you choose to avoid the use of firearms for yourself and family - that's your choice, but you have made the same choice as the doctor in Conneticut and that choice makes you as much a victim as the doctor who lost his family. I chose not to be a sheeple.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:55 AM
miu

Throwing insults and calling me a "sheeple" is not going to change my mind and cause me to vote for easier gun access for people like you. I do not think that everyone carrying a firearm will make our populace as a whole "safer".

And every year, our roads have more issues with violent road rage outbursts. Arming the populace will only make that situation worse, as not only will angry frustrated motorists be armed with their cars, but they will also have the ability to take cowardly sneak attack shots at each other. At least with a motor vehicle, there is a hope for catching the road rage assailants by others seeing their license plates, but their vehicles would be marked with evidence of their attacks. By arming motorists, it's too easy to cause a fatality through an open window, and not have others be able to ID the shooter.

And more guns in the "right hands" would lead to more murders and murder-suicides in domestic abuse situations. Domestic abuse situations aren't limited to people who are criminals.

I know human nature, and given the right situation, every law-abiding "good" citizen has the potential to do dark deeds. And that's why I have no desire to have all the "good guys" armed with guns. If you want to go into law enforcement, become a policeman.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:30 AM

88 posts, read 189,861 times
miu;
If that is what you invision - blood on the highways, you already have that in the driving habits especially in Ma.- vehicle accidents cause cause far more deaths than anything gun related in the United States. Need proof - look at the illegal alien that hit the kid in Framingham severely injuring him and then backed the car over him and killed him.

As far as the "sheeple" comment - it is not intended as a insult. It merely points out that people are easily lead to conclusions that someone else has made for you. In Florida for example gun ownership was very restricted until the legislature and the Governor signed into law the right to own, carry and protect yourself with a firearm. The media and the antigun people went on a fear mongering campaign saying there would be "blood in the streets" from the shoot outs and the road rage rolling gun fights and the senior citizen population would be shooting the mailman, paperboy etc. Well, a year after the legislation was signed into law, statistics compiled showed of the more than 12,000 concealed carry licenses were issued and of that less that 1/2 of 1% of those people issued licenses were revoked. That equals 60 people and of that most were for carrying improperly, not having their carry license on them, carrying a firearm into a restrivted place - i.e. school, bank, government building - not for shooting anyone. The several statistics it did show was that violent crime dropped (i.e.-home invasions dropped, armed robbery dropped, car jackings dropped, homicides dropped) and the side benefit people was people were a little less edgey and more respectful. Now were are sighting your average, run of the mill John Q. Public. The guy down the street that works hard, pays his taxes, goes to church, votes and the guy you wave to as you go by. I'm not referring to criminals, illegal aliens, right wing fanatics, gun toting neo-nazis.

I like to give people credit for not being stupid and not having government regulate there entire life. That was already done in Germany in the 1930's and 40's and the first thing the Nazi government did was to ban ownership of all weapons. So, I think the founding fathers who had the foresight and were extremely committed to forming this nation addressed this issue properly and some 200+ years later is the law of the land.

I do respect your right to not deal with the firearms issue. The only thing I will never agree to is someone elses beliefs to be forced on me - the same as I would not force anyone else to adopt my beliefs. As Americans we get to chose what we believe in - many countries, past and present that's not the case and if you think about it that's what makes America great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts