Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 04:18 PM

6 posts, read 25,127 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am taking a new job in downtown Boston near South Station and will need to live near the commuter rail to get to work. I have NO idea where to live. My top criteria are:
1. Good/Great Schools (I have 2 small kids)
2. Very Family Friendly Town
3. Close to a commuter line that goes into South Station
4. Housing for under $425K
5. Good sports/rec programs for Kids

The towns I have heard about are:
Mansfield, Sharon, Medfield, Walpole, Wrenthem, Easton, and Millis.
Can anyone give me some advice as to where to look - both on the towns I mentioned above, and maybe one I don't know about?

The town I was leaning most towards was Mansfield, but I recently read that the schools are declining. Is this true??

Thanks in advance for any help, it is very much appriecated!

Best,
Karen - Moving to Mass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 06:01 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,814,499 times
I lived in Mansfield about 13 years ago. No kids back then, so can't speak for the schools. I didn't like it, as it seemed like everything required a 30 minute drive or more. Just felt too remote to me. That may be okay for you, and admittedly, I lived there quite a few years ago.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 PM

925 posts, read 2,744,217 times
I'd add Hopkinton- very well rated schools& train access, lots of rec programs & 2 lakes, trails& more. I'm away for a few days but can email town pics when I get back.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:19 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,974,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
I lived in Mansfield about 13 years ago. No kids back then, so can't speak for the schools. I didn't like it, as it seemed like everything required a 30 minute drive or more. Just felt too remote to me. That may be okay for you, and admittedly, I lived there quite a few years ago.
I think Mansfield has had a lot of development and you'd find is less remote now. There's a decent number of restaurants for a town that size, Mansfield Crossing has some stores and Patriot Place is close, plus there is the only Cosi on the South Shore.

To the OP: I know very little about Mansfield from the perspective of living there, but I go there for business from time to time. Seems like a nice town and people that live there seem to like it. Besides being on the commuter rail there is easy access to 495 and 95 to get other places.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 PM

9,538 posts, read 16,530,025 times
North Attleboro is a nice community only minutes from Mansfield. A number of housing options and plenty of shopping in this town. Commuter Rail is an option from either Mansfield or the Attleboro station. A number of people do it every day and I was one of them for a number of years. I don't know much about the schools now, but I have never heard my relatives complain they are not up to par. It's a real family town in the true sense of the word and there are activities for your children there. An excellent family YMCA for one thing with tons of programs and camps for the kids.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:11 AM

387 posts, read 916,905 times
Have you looked into Milton? It has a connecting rail to the Red line and is currently ranked very highly (#2) on Money magazine's best places to live.

I've also heard good things about Sharon. It has a thriving Jewish community, and many people who live in Brookline or Newton move there when they need more land/house for the money.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:42 PM

13 posts, read 22,929 times
I'd highly recommend Walpole. I grew up there (I'm 28 so this was pretty recently). Schools are good and there are great sports/rec programs for kids.

Commuter rail is right in town to get you into South Station (45-50 min I believe). It's got everything you need right in town and plenty of shopping nearby (Wrentham Outlets, Patriot Place). $425 wont get you your dream house, but there are plenty of decent houses in that price range.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:26 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,999,320 times
Canton might be an option.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:07 PM

30 posts, read 130,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krgmah View Post
Hello,

I am taking a new job in downtown Boston near South Station and will need to live near the commuter rail to get to work. I have NO idea where to live. My top criteria are:
1. Good/Great Schools (I have 2 small kids)
2. Very Family Friendly Town
3. Close to a commuter line that goes into South Station
4. Housing for under $425K
5. Good sports/rec programs for Kids

The towns I have heard about are:
Mansfield, Sharon, Medfield, Walpole, Wrenthem, Easton, and Millis.
Can anyone give me some advice as to where to look - both on the towns I mentioned above, and maybe one I don't know about?

The town I was leaning most towards was Mansfield, but I recently read that the schools are declining. Is this true??

Thanks in advance for any help, it is very much appriecated!

Best,
Karen - Moving to Mass

Sounds like Walpole fits your description perfectly. Good luck with your search.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 PM

6 posts, read 25,127 times
Thank you all so much for your help. It is very much appreciated. I will check out the other towns that people have added to my list.

One question about Sharon. I understand it is a beautiful town with fantastic schools, however I have heard that the Jewish population is so large that young kids sometimes feel out of place (holidays, traditions etc.). Our family is not Jewish, but has open religious views. I want to consider this town, but also want my children to feel very much a part of their community. Any thoughts?

Thank you again,
Karen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts